1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP what do you personally use for tacking

Discussion in 'Sculpting' started by thrax, Jan 22, 2012.

1. thrax Member

United-States
    I'm curious what you pro sculptors use to tack small bits of epoxy putty to other larger bits of epoxy sculpting compound for basic sculpting. superglue is too permanent wax moves. please chime in
  2. gordy Well-Known Member

United-States
    Super glue is my main choice, just a small dot then when done I pop it loose. Blue tack is another the stuff used on walls for posters.

Superglue mostly though, separating parts are not hard, and the clean up is usually a matter of flicking the dried flake of with a knife. ;)
  3. 1969 A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    I agree with Gordy if I need to tack together two hardened magicsculp parts I just ad a small dab of superglue, will hold until you break apart. Good for attaching arms etc to then sculpt clothing over and retain the joint.

Steve
  4. gordy Well-Known Member

United-States
    Yep, that's how I use it.

On the flip side, to prevent putties (two part epoxy) from sticking to each other I use ChapStick. :D

Note! Chapstick / petroleum jelly is an adhesive to polymer putties, such as Fimo and Sculpey!!
  5. Einion Well-Known Member

As much as possible I try to use its own adhesion to get soft putty to stick to hardened putty (especially for very tiny amounts like tweaks to a face or a single fold or wrinkle). But I'd also use superglue if I had to get a difficult join to work, e.g. 90° join, or the putty has cured too much to stick properly and I want to continue working.

Had the second problem just yesterday morning after fishing some Apoxie Sculpt out of the freezer, it had gone a little too far so I had to tack it in place with a dot of superglue so that it didn't pop loose every time I pushed against it.

Einion