1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

What do You do with ...

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by RRR, Apr 21, 2022.

1. RRR Well-Known Member

Germany
    ..... the failed Ones ??

I am just curious. In my world not every bust or figure is a success. Sometimes they failed, sometimes I am not satisfied with the outcome.

What do I do. I put them in the closet and let them stay there until I am ready to try a new attempt.
    Some don't stay long, some stay maybe forever.

IMG_20220421_175907.jpg

What do You do ?

Cheers
    Robert
    MCPWilk, Blind Pew, Redcap and 3 others like this.
  2. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Robert

Can't really say I have any unfinished enough not to display but as more are finished the older ones are pushed right to the back ...with me mumbling " could have done that better "

What I do have a habit ...bad or not is prepping,priming and sometimes basecoating pieces ready to do ....I have a large cupboard shelf in garage ...full !

Happy benchtime

Nap
    Mirofsoft likes this.
  3. bigtodd PlanetFigure Supporter

United-States
    Oh.man, I'm there with you. I don't put them away as I will never return to it. I push them to the back of the table. They remind me that they are not done and are waiting for me. The problem is they become too many pushed back. :whistle:
    Blind Pew and Babelfish like this.
  4. Ned Ricks Active Member

United-States
    Oh, I see you have you have found my stash of forgotten figs! Mine go there if: It is smaller in scale than I thought and my eyes are rebelling; it requires assembly and I have put on some part wrong (right arm on left side, etc); it really isn't as well sculpted, cast or other than I am not enjoying working with it; it requires some aftermarket or replacement piece...and forgot to order same...
    Many of these are primed and maybe base coated before my shrinking attention span is pulled elsewhere -- oh, is that the mail or UPS delivery van?

From time to time, I do look them over. Some will never make the first team and may be trashed or given away at my hobby club meeting. Some are a joy to find ("Oh, look what I found! I forgot I had that.") and make it back to the bench. Some that had previously baffled me, I now have read or seen how to to that whatever (see planet Figure forums for good advice and ideas).
    Some get stripped of all paint and start again.

What ever you feel is good for your hobby. It is supposed to be fun, I think.
    Nap likes this.
  5. Larsen E. Whipsnade Moderator

United-States
    Unlike many of you I don't have a big backlog of figures waiting to be painted. Generally I have only the figure I'm currently working on. So what do I do when things go south? Strip 'em and start over! (Happens all too often :confused:)
    Rick
    Nap, bigtodd, Chrisr and 1 other person like this.
  6. RRR Well-Known Member

Germany
    Rick, I do this too of course. When I make a fault in painting, or really an accident happens (too much paint on the brush and the paint flows into other parts which are already thought to be done) then I would strip them too and try again.

But there are also the ones that look nice in the online shop but turn out to be bad cast, rough surface especially if it is on the face etc.

Then I do it like Todd and Nap, put them aside, think about how to make it better and wait ... until ? The postman rings ! :happy:

Thanks so far.
    cheers
    Robert
    MCPWilk, Nap and Larsen E. Whipsnade like this.
  7. Wayneb A Fixture

United-States
    Mistakes are just a temporary inconvenience. Muddle through it , fix and finish. This is how you learn. Or use it for target practice.

Wayne
  8. Babelfish A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    My abject failures either get stripped down with Dettol ready for an (eventual) repaint or are simply & ruthlessly binned.

- Steve
    Blind Pew, Nap and Redcap like this.
  9. theBaron A Fixture

United-States
    I'll strip and repaint a figure, but during the process. Once I call it finished and display it, I don't go back and redo anything. If nothing else, that piece stands as an example of where I was at that time, and how far I've come since.

Prost!
    Brad
    Henk and Nap like this.
  10. Henk A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Exactly. I have a "work in progress" shelf in my laboratorium, but when a model is done, it is done. Like Kev, I will add new ones, and the older ones go to the back of the case. It is quite satisfying in one way, to see your improvement.
    theBaron and Nap like this.
  11. Blind Pew A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    ...the saving grace of resurrecting a figure that was once dead is that you can often get twice the satisfaction if you complete it well the second time.
    Nap and Wayneb like this.
  12. Wayneb A Fixture

United-States
    To quote the words of Bob Dylan in the song "My back pages"........
    "I was so much older then.............I'm younger than that now."