1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

What are your thoughts on box art?

Discussion in 'General Figure Talk' started by Mariner, Apr 3, 2012.

1. Mariner Active Member

Canada
    Not sure about you, but I would like to see some manufacturers improve their box art, especially for newcomers to the hobby. Some only have one photo, which isn't very helpful. I go to their websites to look for more photos, or even better, search PF, but if that fails I'm stuck.
    I'd be willing to pay a bit extra for a multi-photo insert with the kits, which would go into my bench reference file and I wouldn't have to keep running back and forth to the computer!
    What do you think?

Mary
  2. legend69 Well-Known Member

Greece
    Hi Mary,

For the money some kits cost, I would say they could include a colour instruction manual of better quality - free of charge. Although I must admit that half the fun of painting a figure is doing the research and learning about the history - be it from books or from the internet.

Ant
  3. Babelfish A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Good box art can persuade/inspire me to buy a kit.

Poor box art can put me right off.

- Steve
  4. LVM Active Member

Belgium
    I agree with Ant and for me research and learning about history is a very important part of my painting process. I think that I learn much more in researching information on internet or on books than in looking at the box art. I think this is particularly the case for some details that give accuracy to the figure (e.g. seams on clothes, their textures , etc.). However a colour instruction would be a nice adding to some figures. Modelers can not have documentation about every periods.

Concerning the box art, I find that most of the time they give a preconceived idea of the figure. In fact, it is the first thing I see from the figure and sometimes I have some difficulties to view the figure differently that what the box art present. For instance, when a german soldier (which is what I mostly paint) is painted in the box art with a camo I have sometimes hard to imagine it with another camo or with just a fieldgrey uniform ... So this is perhaps me but I think that a box art with just the figure painted in white or grey could be interesting and lead to more "imagination" from the painter.

Laurent
  5. billyturnip A Fixture

England
    I actually think there is a difference between boxart, which to me is generally used as a tool for selling a figure, and painting instructions. Although I like to research uniforms etc. myself it is nice to have a comprehensive painting guide included especially if it includes references to books and/or websites.

Mary, if you're ever inclined to take up flat painting be prepared for nothing in the way of boxart or painting instructions, apart from a small minority of manufacturers it's a luxery we flatties have to do without.

Roger.
  6. Bailey A Fixture

United-States
    I understand the concept of no box art (white or grey figure) so as to inspire more creativity in the painter and I appreciate it in theory. But the reality is I'm going to be far more likely to buy a figure if I've seen it painted, either on the box or on a forum like this. These days I tend to rely on box art more for ideas on shading/highlighting and other painting details, as opposed to color or uniform choices. Of course if I like some of their color choices I'm not above 'borrowing' their ideas.

Roger is definitely correct about the difference between box art and painting instructions. I've run into a number of instances where, after doing only a little research, I've found mistakes in the box art.

As for Mary's original point, I think the more a company provides (picture inserts and painting instructions) the more likely I am to keep going back to that company for new figures.
  7. Edward A Fixture

England
    I like either box art done by a top painter or a photo of the undercoated figure, like Poste Militaire used to do. Mediocre box art can really put me off looking further into buying a figure if I do not know who the sculptor is.

Printed instructions are obviously a help but I think research is part of the hobby..
  8. bagelman1952 Well-Known Member

England
    the quality of the boxart can definately make or break a figure for me. Detailed colour instructions I can do without but that initial image must grab. A promo figure announced on here a couple of days ago was a prime example. the figure was not well painted, which may have effected the way the casting looked and it stirred a real argument amongst members, several of whom said they would not buy the figure because it looked wrong.
  9. housecarl Moderator

United-Kingdom
    I like the research element too, helps put the figure in to context.
    I think JMD do a really good job.
    Front and back views, and photos of the original articles.
    Carl.(y)
  10. billyturnip A Fixture

England
    Actually it depends how we define boxart, it could be argued that boxart in the literal sense is unnecessary as most of us purchase figures online after seeing them on here and I'm sure a figure wouldn't be returned because there was no pretty picture on it..... or would it?

Roger.
  11. Joe55 A Fixture

United-States
    Ditto! Yes, I'm one of those definately influenced by the box art when deciding to spend hard earned cash on a figure. Even if a figure is portrayed incorrectly as to paint scheme, but is well sculpted and is otherwise correct, I will purchase it because I know better based on historical references. When doing civilians of different periods we definately have greater latitude. Its a matter of researching the types of clothing and colors of the period. Of course we can always do what ever the heck we want, hence fantasy figures. When I was a kid I painted a model airplane ( an Me 109), purple with a white propellor spinner, only because I saw it that way in a comic book :D!

Joe
  12. Steve Well-Known Member

United-States
    Good box art does influence sales. On the other hand if one depends upon box art for how to finish the figure there can be trouble. Often the demands of the industry dictate that box art is rushed, precluding proper research. Of course I am hearing more and more often that accuracy is not a big deal any more but it sure is to me. So quality for sales, but for me no amount of great photography can make me rely upon box art for reference.--
  13. theBaron A Fixture

United-States
    I like the box art. When I was a kid, building Revell and Aurora kits, I used to cut the box lids apart when I was finished, to frame them. I used to cut the side panels up on some kits, too, panels that showed the art from other kits in the series. I thought they'd be like trading cards (I had a lot to learn about how cards are printed). Today, I do look to some boxes for hints or details, but in other cases, not so.

Prost!
    Brad
  14. Arsies Active Member

Spain
    I would like to share my oppinion from the "fantasy side". As a fantasy painter We usually have much more freedom to choose a colour scheme, so it's not usual to paint the same miniature in the same way. Usually top fantasy painters aboid to paint a minaiture with the same scheme as other top painter, it's like a self test. Can I do something different with this miniature? so we really use boxart as a sample of how far can I get with this miniature, or at least I Understand boxart in that way.
    As miniature buyer, a great boxart is for me the difference between a miniature I could buy or not, If boxart it's not good maybe the original sculpture it's not good too, and miniatures are not cheap to try and fail.
    As professional painter I can not understand trademarks who want a cheap boxart even if it's much worstest that a good one. Let me explain, earn a salary with this hobby it's very difficult, for trademarks, sculptors and painters, so I understand trademarks do not want to waste their money for nothing, but I think best quality products NEEDS best quality intros, And in this hobby an intro is a boxart. I do not mean a great painted miniature, I mean that but with a great design too, a great sculpture and a great photo edition, please think that's how you show your product and this product HAVE TO say "buy me, i'm impressive"
  15. itsonlyakit Member

Canada
    Box art/painting instructions. I remember a fellow club member showing me his latest WWI aircraft purchase. "Wingnut Wings" are producing WWI German and Allied aircraft in 1:32 scale, plastic, photo-etch, decals in extreme quality, sorry for the sales pitch but what is very impressive is the full color booklet of instructions, you get spoonfed, really. I know of no other kit maker that goes this far. My friend has put a lot of his other projects on hold while he dives into "Wingnuts Wings". So.............gooood reference/ art work/ help/ is a selling point. Cheers Eh !
  16. stu A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    From a manufacturer's point of view I've done both but I always put in a painting reference sheet, sometimes with references .

Boxart wins ! but an undercoated picture of the kit like Moz corry uses also wins.

In future I may try to do both as that way you get to see what your getting and also what attracts you through the boxart vision.

Stuart
  17. Ron Tamburrini A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Mary. Put your computer next to your workbench or vice versa :);) that way you can paint,chat and reference all at once like the rest of us (y)
    PS If you have to do a little research into what you have bought it can subdue the mad rush to paint which generally follows the arrival of a new figure in the post, a couple of days in stasis
    steadies the hand also :LOL:
  18. Iguazzu A Fixture

Spain
    In my opinion, the box art are one of the main pilars to make work a brand. I think that a box art could be at last a 40 or 50% to the final result to sell a good product. A bad box art could riun the sculpting work or mark the difference between to buy a piece or not. I agree 100% with Arsies opinion.

But this is just my own opinion :)
  19. Ron Tamburrini A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi Mary Re Box art
    We realy are a lucky bunch these days.
    When I first started in this hobby a refugee from the wargaming fraternity around 1977 not something Im proud off ;)
    there was no such thing as box art, most figures if not all were bought in modeling shops so you were at the whim of what stock they had unless you could manage to visit the magical shop off oxford street in London called "Under Two Flags"
    Just about all reference one had were snipits of information gained from fellow modelers at club meetings, these were the days when you also awaited eagerly for the latest addition of the Osprey books, I don't think I even had a telephone
    in the house then :LOL: Between the planet and google you can almost dig anything up you require , oh some manufacturers would give you a little information IE red tunic, green, facings blue troosers and good luck to you:)

So box art(y) only down side is that some of is so good it depress you.

Ron (y)
  20. captnenglish Well-Known Member

United-States
    Here are my thoughts. I do appreciate seeing a new release (or an older release that I am just now interested in) painted by a top painter, but as far as the finished product in the box, I prefer either a primed or unpainted figure (or no boxart at all); I have my reasons for this, but would rather not get into them as I do not want to start a flame war. While research is my vocation that I very much love, I do think I basic painting guide on a plain piece of printer paper, is useful to painters of all skill levels.