1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Werner Voss _ Comparison Review 1/48th & 54mm

Discussion in 'Reviews , Video Reviews and Open Book' started by Guy, Oct 3, 2007.

1. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    Comparison Review

Model Cellar Productions
    MC32001 & MC48001
    "Werner Voss"
    Sculpted by Mike Good
    Painted by Tim Farrow

voss54b.jpg

This is a first for me. Comparison of 2 identical figures, sculpted by the same person, only in different scales. It is as if Mike had shrunk the 54mm down in size, they are almost identical. The 54mm figure was brought out to accessorize the "Roden 1/32 scale Foker plane.

I have arranged all the photos so that the 54mm is on the left and the 1/48th scale are on the right.

b 05.jpg

The boxes are the same with only the label to designate the difference in scale.

b 04.jpg

Both kits have 4 resin cast parts. Torso, head and 2 arms each.

54mm 1/48th

b 03.jpg s 01.jpg

b 01.jpg s 06.jpg

b 02.jpg s 04.jpg

Above we have 3 different views of the head. The 54mm on the left and the 1/48th scale on the right.

b 08.jpg s 05.jpg

[ continued in next post ]

2. Guy A Fixture

United-States

b 10.jpg s 03.jpg

b 07.jpg s 02.jpg

b 09.jpg b 06.jpg

Above we have 4 different views of the torso showing subtle difference between the 2 sizes.

arms.jpg

Above are the arms to each kit. The 54mm on the left and the 1/48th scale on the right.

Additional Box art photos for Werner Voss.

voss54a.jpg voss54c.jpg

Conclusion:
    Both these figures are superbly sculpted by Mike Good with the drapery and folds done perfectly. Combined with Model Cellar Production's casting make these two flawless figures a must have for any air enthusiast and figure painter.

Model Cellar Productions - click here

3. Anders Heintz Well-Known Member

United-States
    That is a couple of amazing figures. The heads are spot on alike, a true test to show the high caliber of sculptor that Mike is.

Superb job on these guys Mike, something to strive for for sure!
  4. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
  5. Christos Well-Known Member

Greece
    Beautiful miniatures,both scales-Compliments for the painting of the box art!
    christos
  6. vergilius New Member

Belgium
    Simple but great pose !
  7. jitch0t Member

Spain
    It is a great kit, I had the chance to paint the 54mm one and I had a great time!

Highly recommended!
  8. Mark S Guest

Thanks for posting the review,Guy.
    What's better than a beautifully sculpted Mike Good figure? -
    -Two Good figures!

All the best,stiff.
  9. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    There is no mold slippage on these castings. I have had many Model Cellar castings go through my hands over the 35 years of figures and have never seen any mold slippage from Paul.
  10. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
  11. bonehead A Fixture

United-States
    Aww shucks!!

Guy, thanks for posting these great comparative pics! Thanks to everybody for the kind comments!

It is kind of cool to see them all piled together like that. I want to say, as I did when Paul at The Model Cellar first posted pics of these figures here, that although the two figures are very close in appearance, they show two different "artistic" approaches.

The 1/48 scale figure has more "idealized" in proportions, while the 54mm figure was made to more closely follow proportions in the photos of Voss. That is, the smaller figure has been made deliberately more slender and narrow limbed. The head is slightly smaller in proportion too. This was done to give the appearance of a taller more slender build such as is often done in fashion illustrations. The object is to aim for a more graceful appearance.

I have not decided which approach is more desirable. More recent figures (which will be released later on) display the more realistic proportions. For portrait figures, I think I will be sticking to more accurate proportions in the future.

Cheers!!

Mike
  12. JasonB Moderator

United-States
    Great figure, but just one question

I bought the figure to go along with my Roden Tripe, and its one of the best figs that I have ever had the pleasure to work with, especially in the smaller scales (I usually do 120mm or larger)
    I do have one question
    What is he wearing, some sort of sports sock with stripes? When I painted mine, I used only the box illustration as reference, and as near as I could make out, these appear to be high top socks with white stripes. Is that correct, or am I way off base?
    Again, great fig, I would love to see a Richtofen figure in 54mm as well, then I could have both Voss and the 'Red Baron" Tripes side by side.
    Cheers
    Jason
  13. Manfred Active Member

jburch: You are right about the sporting and hunting socks. They went quite popular in the twenties and thirties. Actually hunters here even today use these "Kniestrümpfe" of varying colours and designs. A grand uncle of mine wore them with corduroy breeches and a wool jacket.

Mike: It speaks for your ability to be able to exactly sculpt the way you want it to be. I do some 48th sculpting lately and have my hands more than full with basic proportion and folds/drapery :). Perhaps on occasion could you show a shot from the workbench of a small master of yours ?
  14. bonehead A Fixture

United-States
    Yes, they are definitely high socks. This famous photo of him is one of the best known and should be in just about any book concerning Voss. It was used as a reference when sculpting the figures. Note that he is not wearing his Blue Max. I took a little artistic license by adding it. There is no question that it was awarded to him quite a while before this photo was taken, shortly before the end of his life.

[IMG]

Here is a copy of it if you don't have it available.

Cheers!!

Mike
  15. ModelCellar A Fixture

Hi Jason,

Thanks for the compliments! ...compliments are always welcome =).

I'm guessing alot of others also bought the figure to go with the Roden kit. Afterall, that was our original motivation for the project. However, since it is 1/32 (54mm) it also doubles as a "painter's figure" which can also be done just standing alone on a small pedestal. So, have you finished the figure? (thanks Mike and Manfred for elaborating on the socks) Have you finished the Tripe? Have you posed it in front of the Tripe as in the period photo? If so, PLEASE post a picture or two. I would love to see it all together! Again, I'm guessing others have that in mind. I keep looking, but I haven't seen a completed diorama/vignette yet, either here or on www.TheAerodrome.com. (would you even call it a vignette with an airccraft, or would it be a diorama?).

anyway - ANXIOUS TO SEE ONE! ...S O ME O N E PLEASE POST!!

Maybe a contest is in order: the first one to post the completed scene (as in the period photo) gets the next 1/32 pilot for FREE. Ready, set, GOOOO!

Regards,
    Paul
    P.S. there ARE more 1/48 and 1/32 (54mm) WWI pilots on the way, as well as more 1/12 scale busts of WWI aviators - so keep checking!
  16. Roc Active Member

United-States
    Guy, very good review, thanks for sharing.

Cheers
    Roc
  17. T50 A Fixture

United-States
    2 amazing figures! What a talent!
    If only I can convince him to make
    me another master... ;)

I've seen Mike's older 1/48 figures,
    and the high standard he set in 1/48
    has never been reached by others.

TS