1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP Critique Werner Moelders - Alpine Miniatures - 1/16 - Step 1

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Ferris, Mar 21, 2014.

1. swralph A Fixture

Nice painting(y)
  2. Edorta A Fixture

Spain
    I agree. I like the bright detail of the visor of the cap.

Military miniatures painted by Eduardo Garcia
  3. Ferris A Fixture

Thank you Nick, Jason, Swralph and Eduardo. I'm glad you like him so far.

Have been working on the jacket this weekend. Going well, but needs further tweaking during the week. Hope to be able to post an update soon.

Cheers,
    Adrian
  4. Ferris A Fixture

Hi All,

Here's some progress on Werner: the top half of the figure is now more or less finished (except for some minor things I noted in the pictures and for repairing the damage I will undoubtedly do when painting the rest).
    Moving on to the pants and boots. Downhill from here on!

Thanks for following.

Cheers,
    Adrian

Attached Files:

5. housecarl Moderator

United-Kingdom
    Excellent progress.(y)
  6. Sturm Grenadier Well-Known Member

United-States
    Great painting of the leather jacket Adrian, very realistic. Regards, SG:)(y)(y)
  7. sam b Well-Known Member

United-Kingdom
    Great start !!! The pipping on the crusher cap is spot on
  8. gendegaia Active Member

Chile
    Great work so far my friend. Leather jacket is amazing! !!!
  9. taff edwards A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi mate
    I was wondering what process you use for the leather jacket ,it's fantastic .
    Cheers Chris
  10. Franckythefrench Active Member

France
    Go on Adrian, very well done
  11. Ferris A Fixture

Thanks Carl, SG, Sam, Orlando, Chris and Franck, glad you like his jacket.

Chris, for the leather I used a base coat of Vallejo chocolate brown, lighted with orange brown 981 and shaded with black. Then I used about 5 similar but different colours to get a variety in tones. Dark red is the most important one of this. Red on the midtones really brings leather alive.
    After this I stippled on a few thinned coats of satin varnish. I'm not completely happy with the finish, as it is a bit glossier than intended, but OK.
    After the varnish I used burnt umber, brown sand and iraqi sand to go over edges and other areas of wear. The contrast between the glossy leather and matt wear parts is very pleasing to do.
    Finally I went over all dark edges with black, outlining things.

Hope this helps. It's quite easy to do really.

Cheers
    Adrian
  12. NickM Well-Known Member

Australia
    Looking superb, Adrian.
    Thanks for the explanation of how you achieved the leather look on his jacket - its very convincing.
    Cheers
  13. Rompy Well-Known Member

Singapore
    Great stuff ! I love the leather jacket :)
  14. bonehead A Fixture

United-States
    Excellent job Adrian! And thanks so much for getting the angle of the head the way i had originally sculpted it. It makes all the difference to the overall balance of the figure.

The painting is first class. If I had to make one commnet, it is that the beautifully painted jacket looks a little darker than it should be. Here is an image of Molders wearing the jacket as sculpted:

http://ww2db.com/image.php?image_id=11560

Anyway, keep up the good work! As I said before, I will be watching your progress!

Cheers!!

Mike
  15. Joe55 A Fixture

United-States
    Adrian, there isn't anything that you have done so far on this one that I don't like :)!

Joe
  16. tiberius57 A Fixture

Canada
    Top class painting, Adrian! (y)
    Cheers and will follow closely.
    Zeno
  17. Ferris A Fixture

Thank you Nick, Ben, Mike, Joe and Zeno!

Mike, Nice to know the sculptor is following my paintwork, thanks. Glad you noticed the head. When preparing for this figure I found your post about the head position and took care to follow it. I agree it makes all the difference. Actually, originally I wasn't sure about buying the figure as it looked a bit stiff. Seeing your original sculpt changed my view entirely. It really is a terrific sculpt and I figure it must have been a challenge to get the pose right!?

I also found the picture of your link and judging by the folds, particularly on his right breast I presume you have used this in your own research as well! I agree the jacket turned out a bit darker than intended. But there is more....
    One thing is that Werner's jacket looks rather new. It cannot have been old really. However, I think new jackets are boring to paint. The wear and tear are too much fun not to do. So basically the worn parts are not really in line with reality.
    Then I misinterpreted the rims around the zips. The standard LW jacket has these in light brown fabric, which I painted, and it makes a nice colour contrast. However, looking back at the picture you provided, and at the sculpt itself, it turns out Werner's jacket has sort of fluffed up leather rims almost enclosing the zips...

Ah well, I used to go back over things all the time, hardly finishing anything, but I'm trying to get over that. So I'll accept it as it is and take it as a lesson for the next one! :) overall I'm happy how things came out so far. A good sculpt makes painting a lot easier!

Cheers
    Adrian
  18. bonehead A Fixture

United-States
    Hello Adrian,

Of course, there is nothing "wrong" with the way you have painted the figure. It looks excellent!

I tend to be pedantic about such things because it is my job to be pedantic while sculpting them. I have a number of photos of Molders wearing this particular jacket and so it was natural for me to sculpt it as best i could. There was no "standard" for those Luftwaffe leather jackets early in the war. Although you can find many jackets that are similar in pattern, they were all private purchase items that could (and did!) vary widely due to source.

Anyway, carry on! I will be watching. You are doing a great job!

Cheers!!

Mike
  19. Johan Well-Known Member

Belgium
    Nice painting, I like the leather.
    Not sure, but I've heard that this kind of fur-collared jackets were favoured especially by ex-Spanish War pilots ... ? True ?