1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Well . . . .

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by DaddyO, May 30, 2020.

1. DaddyO A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Okay folks hands up those who've painted something which didn't quite turn out as expected.
    I've been clearing a few projects recently and this one has been sitting on the shelf for ages. I really like this figure (It is of course a bit of a classic 54 mm by Latorre) (y)
    However once he was assembled and primed I just kind've went through the motions without really engaging with it. It is a lovely delicate sculpt a beautiful pose and deserved to be savoured like a fine dish, but I'm afraid I just wasn't 'feeling it' this time

Now he's sitting in the pot on the windowsill needing a few little bits and bobs to finish him off and get him based up but I don't think I really captured what I was after. He's painted okay, but it's a case of 'not quite' to my eyes. Too good to pop into the Dettol for a bath straight away, but not good enough (IMO) to warrant basing up and sticking in the cabinet.

I'm hoping that a few others have similar figures or have had them in the past? This one will loiter in his pot till I summon up the enthusiasm for him again and perhaps one day he'll re-emerge looking better than ever :unsure:

Hopefully a few beginners or returnees will be encouraged that sometimes it's difficult even for folks who've been at it for a while and not every piece turns out as well as expected . . .

Keep safe folks
    Paul

Crimea 1.jpg Crimea 2.jpg Crimea 3.jpg
    MCPWilk, Oda, Jeff T and 17 others like this.
  2. Richard Baxter A Fixture

Scotland
    I know exactly what you mean. Have been looking at some of my early efforts from the 70s recently and wondering what if...

One part of me says that you should never look back as there's plenty more new and better figures around, but some of these oldies are now classics and deserve better treatment than my younger self gave them.
    Viking Bob, Babelfish and DaddyO like this.
  3. Warren SMITH A Fixture

Australia
    looking at your figure, i think your being way to hard on yourself.. what you have is way better than most of us mere mortals can do... but i respect what you say in relation to getting the best from each piece before placing him in the cabinet... have another look in a month.. see how you feel...

smithy
    Jeff T, Viking Bob and DaddyO like this.
  4. Henkm Well-Known Member

Definitely ecouraging, DaddyO, thanks. (though I wish my good results looked like that.)
    Viking Bob and DaddyO like this.
  5. Babelfish A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Only about 8 times in every 10 :ROFLMAO:.

Wing him my way then, and I'll base him up and stick him in mine!! (y)

I think you've done a phenomenal job that most guys would be more than happy with. I know I would be.

- Steve
    Jeff T, Banjer, Viking Bob and 2 others like this.
  6. Chrisr PlanetFigure Supporter

Australia
    It looks good to me too, and better than I could do. You can send him my way if you like.
    Cheers
    Chris
  7. malc PlanetFigure Supporter

England
    Overall it's a nice figuter well painted, but I can see what you mean.

Imo which means not a lot... he looks a little flat, maybe a little work on the highlights to see if it lifts if and maybe some shadow
    Chrisr, Viking Bob and DaddyO like this.
  8. ometz Well-Known Member

United-States
    This figure looks fine to me
  9. malc PlanetFigure Supporter

England
    Of course it's fine but when someone is in need a little help helps if you get my drift.
    Borek and Viking Bob like this.
  10. DaddyO A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    That's it Richard (y) It's not that I think I've done a particularly bad job (Although Malc is right it needs a bit more ooomph) It's that I'd really like to have done a knockout job on such a classic figure.

Thanks Steve - glad I'm not the only one who's don't turn out as expected.
    That was really the point of the thread because so often we see these fabulous creations presented to the world and I sometimes wonder how many figures get painted that don't quite make the grade in the eyes of their creators? And how many of us just stick them in a box and try to forget about them?
    (I'm a huge fan of those sportsmen and women who give there all knowing that sometimes they will touch the stars and other times fail disastrously but keep going all the same )
    I'll sit it on the shelf Steve and if he's still there in a couple of months I'll gladly send him up to you for your case :)

Stay safe folks
    Paul
    Borek, Babelfish and Viking Bob like this.
  11. Viking Bob PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Paul,
    Yes been there and done that. As you know I have share's in Dettol and 6 times out of 10 I am happy with my result.
    This warm spell and of course lockdown means that we want to enjoy our time alone painting, which in turn means we are doing too much and not enough time doing other things. Hope that makes scence.
    Step away from the paint and have a breather, then come back to this figure. I am sure you will the complete him to your high standard.
    BTW he's bloody good to my eyes.
    Jeff T, Babelfish and DaddyO like this.
  12. KenBoyle PlanetFigure Supporter

United-States
    Like others, I think it looks quite good and close to being finished. However, I also have a few drawers reserved for unfinished figures. :(

For me it's primarily an attention span thing. At some point I just lose interest or something "better" comes along. I must admit I seldom repaint an old figure as I still have a large gray army to work with.

Cheers,
    Ken
  13. Blind Pew A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Nice one Paul - I've always fancied this and it's one of the best figures I never managed to get hold of. (y)

If I'm any judge, stick him away for about a week. A fresh pair of eyes will help no end. It was also help to prevent you 'overpainting' him. This is the eternal problem of the experienced figure painter - where to get that extra 10% from. If I ever find out, I'll let you know :cry::facepalm:
  14. Blind Pew A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    And what's your mix for those skin tones? Do share.
    DaddyO and Viking Bob like this.
  15. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Leggy

What am I going to do with you ........to a mere bust painter ( sort of !! ) ...looks good to me , possibly push highs as said

No need to send it to Steve though ...send it to me ...I am closer ...cheaper postage ...lol

It's a classic release and I am sure you will resurrect it to where your happy

Have I done this .......oh yes many times , past, present and future !! ....sometimes I find like Ken ..it's a attention thing as well

Happy benchtime

Busty ...Nap
    DaddyO and Viking Bob like this.
  16. Babelfish A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Shut up Kev you don't do legs :ROFLMAO:.

- Steve
    Nap, malc and DaddyO like this.
  17. DaddyO A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Thanks Ken and Bob(y)
    Good to hear that you both end up with figures that are given 'the bath' or reside in the back of drawers

:ROFLMAO: He's got some Steve, but never shows them to anybody

Good point about the attention Ken and probably right on the mark since i rarely spend more than a couple of months with a figure before it goes to the back of the shelf.

:) Picked it up off fleabay I think BP I was right pleased with it (One of my better purchases. Ask me about 'accidentally buying' a Triumph Herald one day :eek:

Over painting is something that I've become very aware of - it's sooooo easy to think I'll just tweak that and suddenly you are re-painting a bit and it looks worse than the original :cry:

The basic skin colour is brown rose (I think) with a dash of basalt grey lightened with basic skin tone and light flesh and darkened with black red and some of the red from the uniform (flat red I seem to remember). and a touch of very dark blue mixed in for the deepest shadows (All Vallejo colours) Hope that helps

You've already got something waiting for you - Let's spread the lurve ;)

Stay safe folks
    (Nearly finished something a bit different which I am happy with, so I'll take some picks tomorrow when the dust has settled and I'm sure he's done)(y)
    Cheers
    Paul
  18. Paul Owen New Member

I think it looks amazing! What's more it actually looks realistic - too many figures have over emphasised highlights, etc that makes them look like cartoon figures!
    Babelfish, Blind Pew and DaddyO like this.
  19. DaddyO A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Thanks Paul - I've never been a fan of the 'chalk and soot' school of painting (although I do admire the technical ability of those who choose and can paint in that way. There are some really high quality painters who use a slightly less exaggerated style which I prefer)

Cheers
    Paul
    Babelfish likes this.
  20. Ray Monde New Member

Hey Paul,

I'm fairly new to this site and have been trying my hand at figures and busts for a couple of years now and the work you've shown is where I aspire to! Even I in my short time can look back at a couple of my earlier efforts and think, mmm... I'd like to redo that. You know what, I'm keeping them that way so I can see how I've developed and well the closer I look..they ain't all that bad.

For the record I think that trooper looks pretty good. I like the proud stance of him and his tough expression.

Have we all just got too much time inside for too much self reflection. I think he's splendid.

Keep on keeping on and stay well.

Ray
    Blind Pew, Nap, DaddyO and 1 other person like this.