1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Well hello!

Discussion in 'Welcome aboard' started by nig-g, Aug 2, 2020.

1. nig-g Active Member

Hi everyone.
    I’ve been a regular follower of PF for some years but only recently got around to subscribing. As I have been posting a few comments I thought I should take the opportunity of introducing myself.
    like many people I started making kits as a child, mainly aircraft, tanks and those small scale waterline ship models. I also had an array of Pyro 1:1 scale pistols and Aurora large scale figures. I particularly remember the gladiator and a Blue Knight. I also converted the old Swoppets using a mixture of glue and talc as a modelling putty. Coming across the Historex stand at the Model Engineer Exhibition at the Seymour Halls was a revelation. I used to convert the old Airfix 1/12 scale figures before beginning to scratch sculpt my own figures in that scale. I still like to work in this scale although I also convert 200mm busts and scratch sculpt busts in 1/6 scale. I have also been known to put the legs (and arms and bodies on commercial busts (see example below which is a bust from Bonapartes). I Still find painting a chore and enjoy the sculpting far more. I use oils over acrylic.
    Modelling has kept me sane during lockdown like so many others. See you all soon
    I’ll load some more pictures when I learn how! 72746D27-77B1-4AD7-9609-1A623D41F167.jpeg
    oldtrousers and Nap like this.
  2. nig-g Active Member

A WRNS officers steward in 1/6 scale. Purchased head rest scratch built

590A43B8-75EA-490D-A9DB-E897BB254097.jpeg
  3. nig-g Active Member

A QARNNS nursing sister. Scratch built apart from commercially available hands. 825FA34B-E8B2-44CF-84BD-870275BFC9C2.jpeg
    Old Pete, oldtrousers and Nap like this.
  4. nig-g Active Member

WW2 sailor scratch built apart from bald head and hands. 1663C778-DC3A-40E9-8573-AE3FA66B656C.jpeg
    Old Pete, oldtrousers and Nap like this.
  5. nig-g Active Member

...and something completely different. Rita Hayworth from the film Gilda. 800AF698-335B-43BA-B2AF-B67ABFBB46A3.jpeg
    Old Pete and oldtrousers like this.
  6. nig-g Active Member

Final taster of my work. (Before you all get too bored!)..a Greek hoplite. F591E81D-05BE-44DD-A529-06AFCE441F9C.jpeg
    NeilW, 1969, Old Pete and 1 other person like this.
  7. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Nigel

BIG WELCOME to PF

Good to have you with us

Plenty of info in the Welcome aboard part but feel free to ask or message me

Thanks for sharing some pieces in a large scale as well ..... we have a part for members completed models

Enjoy your visits and do share any SBS/WIP as well

Happy benchtime

Nap
  8. 1969 A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Nice to see some of your work Nigel , nice varied selection, I like the Knight in particular.
    Cheers
    Steve
  9. Chris Oldfield A Fixture

England
    Hi Nigel - I'm well impressed with your WRNS mess steward.
  10. nig-g Active Member

Thank you all for your warm words.
    The WRNS has a special place in my collection as my mother was a WRNS mess steward during ww2 and this inspired me to have a go at making that figure.
    It also got me very interested in women’s roles during both world words which I think is undervalued by modellers. Currently working on a member of the Women Police Service during WW1 in 1/12th scale.
    1969 likes this.