1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP Critique "Welcome The Dawn", Rorkes Drift 1879

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Eludia, Oct 8, 2015.

1. Eludia A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Ok, time to get the party started. Undercoating done. I've used thinned oils for this, everything looks a bit scrappy for now (including the photos, sorry - I promise I'll try harder from now on ;)).

10-DSC_1773.JPG 11-DSC_1774.JPG 12-DSC_1775.JPG 13-DSC_1776.JPG 14-DSC_1777.JPG 15-DSC_1778.JPG 16-DSC_1779.JPG 17-DSC_1780.JPG

As you can see, my clumsiness is very much in evidence and I've managed to drop the figure (twice) hence the chipping on his right arm, good start :(
    malc, Mark S, crf and 5 others like this.
  2. Wings5797 A Fixture

France
    Looking good Mate.
    Keith
    Eludia likes this.
  3. Huw63 A Fixture

It's coming along a treat. I have this piece in my grey army so it's great to see how you're painting him. The palettes are particulary useful so thanks for that.

Cheers

Huw
    Eludia likes this.
  4. Viking Bob PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Looking really good, coming along a treat.
    Regards
    Eludia likes this.
  5. peedee A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Cor lumme this is smashing this is and no mistake guvnor.

sorry Billy, i came over all disney victorian then

lovely stuff mate

Paul
    Huw63 and Eludia like this.
  6. Eludia A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Cheers guys,

I've made a bit more progress on his strides but the paint has dried very glossy and isn't photographing well. It's been in my hot box for two days now, i think I'll need to crack open the matt varnish tonight. I'll get some pics just as soon as I get rid of the mirror-like finish.

I've also been experimenting with Liquin (original and fine-detail). My conclusion - I think I'll stick to Zest-it :(
  7. swralph A Fixture

Looking good Billy.
    The top right mealy bag looks like some sort of ghostly face.
    Eludia likes this.
  8. Eludia A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Lol, cheers Ralph. You know that is all I'll see every time I look at it now :)
    swralph likes this.
  9. Eludia A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    After a few days of trying to get rid of his shiny pants (the red wasn't great either), I decided that it was no use trying to flog a dead horse so he's had his first strip and reprime (and hopefully the last). I've ordered a few Scale75 paints to use as undercoats, hopefully they'll be here in tomorrow's post and I can crack on. I've got plenty of Jo Sonja acrylics that I could probably use instead, that are probably just as flat, but I've been itching to try the Scale75 paints for a while and this is the perfect excuse.

So anyhoo, progress (/cough) so far:

DSC_1788.JPG
    malc likes this.
  10. Eludia A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Oh, and if you're thinking of trying Humbrol MATT coat, don't bother. It's as much use as t*ts on a fish, unless you run out of gloss varnish.
  11. peedee A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi billy, I
    You have all my sympathy mate, i used to get the same problem of shiny pants etc, and now just use
    Either a touch of Tamiya xf 86 clear mixed into the thinned paint on the palette, (thanks for that tip Housecarl),
    it goes an extraordinarily long way!
    Or Tamiya rattle can Matt v overall, just a light misting does the job, and then selective varnishes over metals etc.
    Best of luck for round 2.
    Paul
    malc and Eludia like this.
  12. billyturnip A Fixture

England

I've actually had good results with that stuff Billy, however you really need to stir the **** out of it, shaking is no good. All the gloop in the bottom of the jar has to be dissolved. The only problem I have with it is getting the lid off but that goes for all Humbrol products with a child proof lid.
    Eludia likes this.
  13. Ron Tamburrini A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Billy you should get good results with the scale 75 paints but mind and give them a real good shake to mix the carrier into the paint.
    Note ; best results with them are via an air brush but you will have to do the usual ratio of thinning to milk consist .

Re the red tunic , cad scarlet is very close to the tunic colour in the movie ; a super opaque red but will be pricey but will last a lifetime and has no drying issues.
    A good choice to redo the blue as if it does not lose its shine in the light box within an hour or so then it won't ever and even dulcote wont't knock it down .
    Scale 75 SC 53 and SC54 are prob the best blues for your under coat base and for the red base ( SC38 aldebaren red )
    Eludia and Wings5797 like this.
  14. Ron Tamburrini A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    've actually had good results with that stuff Billy, however you really need to stir the **** out of it, shaking is no good.
    You need to work on your shaking hand technique Roger :)
    Eludia likes this.
  15. billyturnip A Fixture

England

I can assure you there's nowt wrong with my shaking hand Ron. :happy:
    Eludia likes this.
  16. badger Well-Known Member

Scotland
    feel the same keith, always chasing that elusive figure that will establish myself as a figure painter, I have this figure,as a present last year and find it a bit intimidating to paint? but I will follow this one with interest and hopefully will be inspired to - HAVE A GO. ha ha
    Eludia and Wings5797 like this.
  17. Eludia A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Cheers guys :)

My Scale75 paints arrived this morning; good ole Historex, I only ordered them yesterday with standard delivery.

@Ron - Thanks for your words of wisdom mate, your advice is always welcome. You've been at this game a damn sight longer than I have and undoubtedly you've already made, and learned from, all these mistakes I'm making now. I didn't order the colours you mentioned (if only I'd asked yesterday :(). This is what I got, I think they'll do for undercoating:

19-DSC_1824.JPG

If I like them then I'll maybe order some more.

@Paul - I have some W&N Artisan varnishes left over from when I was using WMO and they usually work very well over any type of paint and give a nice finish, not totally flat but not quite satin either, but sadly not in this case (and the humbrol over the top of everything just dried like glass). I haven't tried the Tamiya rattle cans yet, maybe they're worth a look.

@Roger - Keep exercising that hand mate ;)
    billyturnip and peedee like this.
  18. Ron Tamburrini A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Billy
    Re humbrols " never Stir " pick out the paint from the bottom of the tin with a kebab stock or simi and let any of the paint carrier drain off on some ovenproof paper , what you have left generally dries matt , but the scale 75 is a safer bet(y)
    arj, Wings5797 and Eludia like this.
  19. Eludia A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Today I has been mostly.....colouring in :)

20-DSC_1861.JPG 21-DSC_1867.JPG 22-DSC_1868.JPG 23-DSC_1869.JPG 24-DSC_1870.JPG 25-DSC_1871.JPG 26-DSC_1873.JPG 27-DSC_1874.JPG 28-DSC_1875.JPG

I'm liking the Scale75 paints for now, they're very similar to JS both in finish and behaviour so the jury's still out on whether to invest in some more or just stick with what I've already got.

Back to proper paints tomorrow :)
    Wings5797 and billyturnip like this.
  20. peedee A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Billy?......own up to the group...
    you tidied up before you took that first picture didn't you.

Colouring in...made oi larf that did. :D
    malc, Wings5797 and Eludia like this.