1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Weathering Red Coats

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by clrsgt, Dec 6, 2013.

1. clrsgt A Fixture

United-States
    I am currently working on a British Napoleonic Heavy Dragoon bust and have hit a wall. Anybody have any good tips on how to "weather" or fade the red coat so that he looks like he has been campaigning for a while. My attempts have only succeeded in turning it more orange than faded or dirty red. I work in oils and acrylics, but I painted the coat in oils. Any suggestions are welcome
  2. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    I usually mix flesh into the highlights to get a muted, weathered effect. Looks good with brick red/Brian in the shadows.

Colin
  3. Piotrec Active Member

United-States
    I would definitely aim for dulling the red. I think, I would dull red with a little bit of complementary and add some white to make it little bit more pinkish. I believe that worn red is actually turning into pink.
    Also basic flash tone for changing the hue would work also.
  4. housecarl A Fixture

United-Kingdom
  5. clrsgt A Fixture

United-States
    Thanks for the input fellows. I shall put it to use.