1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Way out of my confort zone (Black Watch at Waterloo )

Discussion in 'Brutal Honesty - Critique Center' started by oniria, Dec 1, 2014.

1. oniria A Fixture

Spain
    Hi all.
    I had to this awsome figure by Pegaso models (a huge 75mm!!)
    I'm not a big scale figure painter (I paint 20mm,28mm and 1/48 figures) but the client wanted me to paint this one. After the first shock :nailbiting: and a lot of months of struggling and swearing, at last I managed to deal with it getting a decent result (I think).

Now back to safety :D

Hope you like it.
    Saludetes

[IMG] [IMG]
    [IMG] [IMG]
    [IMG] [IMG]
    [IMG]
    pokrad, Tom W., Oda and 46 others like this.
  2. Funky50 Guest

Excellent work....Kevin
  3. Blind Pew A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    I wouldn't mind seeing what you can do when you are comfortable....dear me. Excellent.;)
    Babelfish likes this.
  4. Joe55 A Fixture

United-States
    That's gonna be one happy client. I think you did a marvelous job!

Joe
  5. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    Excellent result. You are clearly a multi-scale modeller.

Colin
  6. Mat Lambert A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Great work - please say you'll try another at this scale.
    Cheers
    Mat
  7. ChaosCossack A Fixture

Canada
    I think you are just comfortable enuff ;)

I have no doubt your customer will be more than happy with how this turned out... it looks spectacular

Colin
  8. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    That's really looking awesome.

Marc
  9. Trex Well-Known Member

Very nicely painted!
  10. ellie A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    very well done you should stay with big scale

ian
  11. BarrieHynd Well-Known Member

Scotland
    Very nice job indeed (y). Got this one myself hidden away somewhere, did you have any problems with assembly?

Barrie

Looking at the pics again, the dice'd band on the bonnet, looks like the centre row has alternate green squares, they should be dark/royal blue. Just a small point but important to the regiment.
    jakbwrhr likes this.
  12. oniria A Fixture

Spain
    Cheers guys!! Thabk you for your kind comments.
    Barrie: The left arm (the one with the flag) id a bit of a pain to fit correctly (I needed to build up with putty the arm pit area)
    As for fth bonnet, will check...:nailbiting:
  13. oniria A Fixture

Spain
    Barrie, I did a simple Google check (42ng highlander bonnet) and all pictures show green and red squares....
  14. BarrieHynd Well-Known Member

Scotland
    Did the same and got the same results as you. Will have to dig a bit more as I have been using one on display in regiments museum as reference.
    Still a very nicely painted figure.

Barrie
  15. Scotty A Fixture

Scotland
    I'm sure you're right Barrie, as a Royal regiment they should be very dark blue, almost black.
    Scotty.
  16. Funky50 Guest

The only reference I have (which is Waterloo Men) shows them as green but would love to know when you find out guys....Kevin image.jpg
    Bimmer3.5csl likes this.
  17. Blue Thunder A Fixture

Portugal
    Kevin, can't help you with the checks! It's a theme with more variants in it than names on a phone list. :dead:

But one thing I have to tell, I sincerely hope the pattern is ok because this is the best painting I've seen so far of this already classic!

It's stunning! And the lateral eye sight hits the nail in the head. In my personal opinion frontal looking in this miniature makes composition a bit awkward. Yours is in the right spot - magnificently well balanced!

Hats off! Take my deepest congratulations! (y)
  18. Bimmer3.5csl Active Member

Greece
    Very Nice my Friend!!!!!
  19. blaster A Fixture

United-States
    Hi Oniria and all,

This is a beautifully painted piece! As you posted it under this section, I presume that you wanted critical comments if any.

Not being an expert on Scottish officer tunics, I have never seen a Black Watch officer tunic with blue lapel facings fully displayed up to 1815. There is a picture of one such officer depicted in 1825.

http://www.inverclydeheritage.org.uk/captain-john-orr/

Please correct me if I am wrong.

Rgds

Victor
  20. Babelfish A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Superb painting. Including of two things that terrify me: flags and tartans!