1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP Critique Water Soluble Oils Experiment.

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by billyturnip, Oct 21, 2012.

1. billyturnip A Fixture

England
    All advice gratefully accepted. I've recently bought some of the above paints to see if I can get an ultra smooth effect on the armour of flat figures.
    As it's just experimental I just bought a tube each of Lamp Black, Titanium White & Cerulean Blue. I chose the water soluble one's because I thought it might be a bit easier, as I paint in the dining room I wouldn't be stinking the place out with thinners etc, finally and most importantly there's was 20% of at the local art shop. :D

I gave the armour a thin coat of Lamp Black allowed it to dry and then made a mix of the three colours to paint the mid tones. The plan is when it's dry to add more white to the mix and paint the highest highlight, then touch up as required. As I said at the beginning any tips and advice is welcome. If this works out I'll maybe think of adding some tubes to my armoury.

Roger.

PICT0018.JPG PICT0019.JPG
  2. Ron Tamburrini A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi Roger

Tried these out about a hundred years ago ,didn't work then :eek: put your real oils on thinner (y)

Ron
  3. billyturnip A Fixture

England
    I had a feeling that would be one of the reactions Ron. :D
    Because of where I paint "real" oils aren't really an option so it's either persevering with these or back to the acrylics. :)
  4. kagemusha A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi Roger, they look good to me mate, better than I expected after my run in with them way back when. Just a thought for you about normal oils, there are a lot of odourless thinners available now, so you should maybe give one a try. In that way you could combine the two types of oils and open up more choices for different techniques and materials.

Regards

Ron
  5. billyturnip A Fixture

England
    Cheers Ron, thanks for the tip, I'll bear that in mind.
  6. Tecumsea PlanetFigure Supporter

England
    Hi Roger, try Sansodor low odour solvent from Winsor and Newton if the smell really is a problem........I always blame it on the Dog:sneaky:
  7. davidmitchell A Fixture

Scotland
    Looks ok to me Roger.

Cheers David
  8. Ron Tamburrini A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi Roger
    I meant to say i wasn't condemning your painting the armour looks good ,I just making a general observation about water soluble oils.

Ron
  9. billyturnip A Fixture

England
    Thanks everyone, I've still got about three weeks of this leave to go so I'll see how I get on and perhaps go down the low odour proper oils route next leave. I don't really want to fork out more money without giving these a fair chance.
    It's ok Ron I knew what you meant. ;)

Roger.
  10. Ron Tamburrini A Fixture

United-Kingdom
  11. billyturnip A Fixture

England
    And you Ron.
    I'm always up this time of day, once my eyes open it's time to get up, none of this lying in bed caper for me, There's just me and the dog too, bliss.
  12. Ron Tamburrini A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Bertorelli says
    The Early worm catches the Burd :D
  13. billyturnip A Fixture

England
    Or in the case the early bird gets some peace and quiet. :D
  14. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    I have some of this paint and I cannot complain about it.
    But I love the smell of oilpaint in the morning.........
    Gonna follow you closely on this.
    B.T.W. At the time you get up, I'm on my bicycle to work.:D:facepalm:
    Marc
  15. billyturnip A Fixture

England
    That's because you're a hour in front of us Marc. :D
  16. Einion Well-Known Member

Regular oils and any good low-odour version of white spirits would be my recommendation too (if interested see prior threads for more details).

Einion
  17. billyturnip A Fixture

England
    A few of you have suggested low odour thinners, white spirit etc but I've got to ask, what is it that "regular" oils have got over water soluble oils? Is it some kind of paint snobbery or there definite advantages one over the other?
    Who has used both (recently :D)?

Roger.
  18. kagemusha A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    I can only comment on my short time with water soluble oils and, yes it was some time back, and I found that they didn't like being put on as thin as standard oils and were very prone to brush marks. Also the colours seemed less vibrant when inter mixed.

Ron
  19. billyturnip A Fixture

England
    Thanks Ron, that's the kind of objective comment I was after.

Roger.
  20. Edorta A Fixture

Spain