1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Water Mixable Oils

Discussion in 'Just starting...' started by petebali, Aug 7, 2011.

1. petebali New Member

United-States
    Hi all,
    I saw an old post here about water mixable/miscible oils, it was posted here a few years ago and I was wondering if there are any new opinions on the subject. I ask because tonight I tried painting a fig with traditional oils and I learned a valuable lesson about orderless mineral sprites, just because you cant smell it doesn't mean there are no fumes. Yes I got 21st birthday sick. I know how to paint with acrylics I just like the look of oil. Also I noticed that my W&N artisan water mixable paint is not professional grade can this be a problem? I fact I don't know of any company that makes fine/professional grade water mixable paint.
    Any way
    TIA
    Pete
  2. Ron Tamburrini A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi Peter
    I dont think the water based oils have improved any over the years,and kinda defeats the
    purpose,if you want the look and feel you must use the real thing.

the solvents play havoc with my skin but in the most I manage to keep them off my hands
    and anyway you would only use them for cleaning brushes in most cases ." some painters also thin out a bit but I find it dulls the paint to much for me" so just keep the bottles closed when not in use
    petebali likes this.
  3. Hans Member

Germany
    I tried and failed. I found blending was near to impossible in a way a figure painter will accept it. The only way to handle them for me was painting layers for layers and so there is no much difference to water based acrylics - for me. All I can say, you have to try it for yourself.
    Concerning the fumes: There are several sorts of odorless thinners on the market and some make me sick, some not. Windsor&Newton and Daler Rowney are perfect for me, Shellsol makes me sick. The are some sorts or "aromatic-less thinners" in our local DIY markets, some are good, some not and therefore I get sticked with W&N and DR. What also helps is a container with a small opening or a closed container with a pipette. So it will get atmospheric contact only when really needed. It helps, really.
    petebali likes this.
  4. Einion Well-Known Member

Here's mine: Water-miscible oils

There's a reason for that - little or no call for 'em amongst professional painters and experienced amateurs.

Something that you might consider trying are artists' acrylics - they give a finish and colouring much more like oil paints than the hobby paints (Vallejo etc.)

On this:
    Sorry to hear that Pete - since 'OMS' is truly safer than the smelly alternatives you'll probably want to be very careful about exposure to turps or regular mineral spirits from this point on.

Einion
    petebali likes this.
  5. martynfaller New Member

United-Kingdom
    The general opinion is that the Windsor and Newton range are pretty poor. They are not intended as "professional" regardless of what W&N say about them.

However, I hear that the Holbein Duo Aqua range are a vast improvement and behave a lot more like traditional oils. VERY expensive though. Probably too expensive for those looking to just try them out.

Not used them myself, just some of the research I did around this subject a few months back.

Cheers
    petebali likes this.
  6. petebali New Member

United-States
    Thanks all for the info.
    Just for the heck of it, I went and dug out my W&N water oils that I purchased when my living situation changed and I could not paint with solvents any more ( BTW there OK on the canvas but not great) well lets just say my experiment was a short one and the only good thing about water mixable oils on minis is, they easily wash off your mini so you can paint them with something else. I started painting a bust this after noon and the hassle free fast drying Vallejo paint is growing on me I think this is start of a beautiful relationship.
    Again thanks for the replies
    Pete
  7. Einion Well-Known Member

:lol:

Einion
  8. housecarl Moderator

United-Kingdom
    I started painting a bust this after noon and the hassle free fast drying Vallejo paint is growing on me I think this is start of a beautiful relationship.
    Touché;)
    Carl.