1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Water effects

Discussion in 'Groundwork' started by tonydawe, Sep 26, 2016.

1. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
  2. John Bowery A Fixture

United-States
    Model Railroad supplies carry cables with multiple thin strands in the cable for lighting model buildings. I don't have a link for the manufacturer. Try,
    scenicexpress.com

Also the Scifi Starwars group do a lot of this for fantasy star shipsl
    Cheers
    John
  3. MrBMB A Fixture

4. kenshin393 A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Wotcha, just thought I'd drop this wip here. Pebeo crystal resin, very easy to use. I still need to go over the sides with fine grit sandpaper and then a coat of gloss varnish and job's a good un. Nice and see-through.

Attached Files:

5. kenshin393 A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Here's one with the side walls removed.

Attached Files:

6. MrBMB A Fixture

Ken
    Can you tell me how you do the side walls
    How you stop it leaking
    How you stop it sticking to the resin
    I would be very interested in knowing your process
    Thanks
    kenshin393 likes this.
  7. kenshin393 A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    The side walls were made if thin plastic from a clam-pack. Long strips cut to the depth of water I wanted. I scored them gently then bent them to 90 degrees for the corners. I used super glue to attach these to the base. Then plugged all around the edges with blu-tack. Inside faces were coated with vaseline and peeled off the cured resin easily.
    I've now sanded the sides, given a coat of gloss varnish and started repainting the bottom edges.

Attached Files:

balder, arj and DEL like this.
  8. Ron Tamburrini A Fixture

United-Kingdom
  9. Helm A Fixture

England
    :ROFLMAO:
  10. MrBMB A Fixture

Ken
    Thanks for letting me know your process, will give it a go
    kenshin393 likes this.
  11. Auggie Active Member

Canada
    Wow! What a wealth if information here. I'm going "dive" right in and try some of those techniques!
  12. Kevtk135 Active Member

Maybe *way* to late for this thread. But You Tube is your friend for instructional videos. "Luke Towan" builds dios for his model railroad, but they are outstanding and a lot of them have water in them. They can also be easily scaled up or down.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjRkUtHQ774mTg1vrQ6uA5A
  13. theBaron A Fixture

United-States
    Have a look at Dave Youngquist's (Last Cavalry) channel on YouTube as well, https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTWXX8-eq3b1joSQ7CRgzuw

Regarding using optical fibers, I don't think the goal was lighting, was it? But rather, to have a long filament to use to replicate thin streams of water.

I have some thin clear plastic rod for that purpose, but you could also use stretched sprue.

The filament can serve as a core over which to apply your water medium, making large droplets, etc.

Prost!
    Brad
    Oda likes this.
  14. awesome thread! Great information