1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP Critique "Wasteland Warrior" (War Griffon Miniatures)

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Babelfish, Sep 24, 2015.

1. Babelfish A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    I've been working recently on this nice little bust that's sold by MDP / War Griffon Miniatures under the name "Wasteland Warrior", although I see him more as a semi-fantasy Viking type of character rather than some bloke wandering around a desolate Mad Max-esque post-apocalyptic wilderness. But either way its a great piece and I'd be interested in any comments on how it looks so far.

I'm reasonably happy with how he's coming along, and I'm starting to think of him as about 90% done now. But I'm not sure if I might have been a tad timid with the highlights on his fur collar and hair? So do let me know what you think I've got right, what you think I've got wrong and if you have any suggestions that might improve the look of the piece from where I am with it right now. Cheers!

- Steve

ww1xx.jpg ww2.jpg
    Stephan, Perseas, Jeff T and 4 others like this.
  2. swralph A Fixture

Hi Steve.
    I painted this earlier this year.
    I think you have done this bust proud so far and as for the highlight's I think you have it just right,but that is my opinion.(y)
    Babelfish likes this.
  3. Eludia A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi Steve, he looks great to my old weary eyes (y)

The highlights look good, if I were to change anything I think I would strengthen the shadows a bit more but, to be honest, I would be over the moon if this was mine :)
    Babelfish likes this.
  4. arj A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    That's an intense look you managed to achieve in the eyes. The rest of it also looks very good.
    If you follow Billy's suggestion, a pin wash of Vandyke brown (oil paint) for the hair shadows might work, but I'd try it out on some painted scrap first, as I wouldn't want to risk affecting the already good highlights.

Cheers,
    Andrew
    Babelfish and Gaudin like this.
  5. garyhiggins A Fixture

England
    He looks great Steve, if anything is needed perhaps a strengthening of the definition between hair and collar, but that's about it (y)(y)(y).
    Best wishes, Gary.
    Babelfish likes this.
  6. Babelfish A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Thanks guys for the encouraging comments thus far and for the suggestions, all of which have merit and are worth consideration. As with any project, the hardest part is knowing when "enough is enough" and when to stop!

- Steve
    garyhiggins likes this.