1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Washington artilleryman ACW

Discussion in 'Figure News' started by Lukalex, Feb 11, 2014.

1. housecarl Moderator

United-Kingdom
    This one Chippy? My philosophy is you can't take nothing from nothing.;)
    [IMG]
  2. chippy Well-Known Member

United-Kingdom
    You'r a braver man than me Carl , personally I think Mr. Troiani is a bit off a wanker with all his law suits , surely items like this can only add to the interest in his paintings and books , it's not as if it's a book .
    chippy
  3. housecarl Moderator

United-Kingdom
    Works for others.
    I've bought many an Osprey because it has an illustration similar to a figure in it.(y)
    Sturm Grenadier likes this.
  4. forghi Active Member

Hungary
  5. clrsgt A Fixture

United-States
    Chippy, I know the painting you are talking about.
  6. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    Great sculpt but I wondered about the gun to man proportions too. In the thumbnail I thought it looked like one of those little 3 pounder infantry guns Napoleon attached to his infantry battalions in 1809.

Colin
  7. Lukalex A Fixture

Friends! This lighter version of 12-pound Napoleon. Wheel diameter 57 inches - 143 cm. Artilleryman in a scale 185 cm.
    Alexey
    crf likes this.
  8. MalcC A Fixture

England
    That is absolutely ace, I'll be keeping an eye out for this one.

Malc
  9. moz A Fixture

England
    well Troiani couldn`t possibly have copyrighted the back of the figure, so that bit is safe.
  10. cimeterre de figurines Active Member

France
    A must have!
    Great job, another set on my wish list!
  11. F Troop Active Member

United-States
    "Friends! This lighter version of 12-pound Napoleon. Wheel diameter 57 inches - 143 cm. Artilleryman in a scale 185 cm."

Maybe this will help Alexey. This is a period photo of Federal officers next to a Type 2, 57" diameter carriage wheel. (different gun tube but same carriage) Compare armpit to armpit :yuck: and you can see your artilleryman dwarfs the Napoleon compared to real life. Troiani's painting does show the accurate proportions.....picture your subject leaning on the barrel.

[IMG]

[IMG]
    Taken in 1862 at Fair Oaks, Virginia, 3" Ordnance Rifle, 57" diameter wheels

Still a great piece. HTH

Rick in Virginia
    F Trooop
    crf and akaryu like this.
  12. Zastrow.cuirassier PlanetFigure Supporter

France
    About dimension a real mystery o_O(n)
    Not an ACW period photo:rolleyes:
    But the Gun is a real one, it's seems that the IRBIS representation work:cautious::whistle:

[IMG]
    Gettysburg Licensed Battlefield Guide George Newton is standing by a U.S.-made 12-pounder Napoleon on West Howard Avenue. This view was taken facing south at approximately 4:30 PM on Sunday, August 9, 2009.
  13. F Troop Active Member

United-States
    Please ask George to step back 3 or 4 feet and lean on that right wheel :)

Rick
    housecarl likes this.
  14. Lukalex A Fixture

Three photos and everywhere different proportions.

Attached Files:

15. trooper Member

United-States
    Well folks, not being an authority on anything, the cannon is short (possibly scale wise) to the figure. This pictures do show different scale to actual people plus a very nice painting. A friend of mine from my military days is a Artillery man ( I call him a cannon cocker) mentioned to me that there are "Baby Howitzers". Small in size and could fire the same size ordnance, but would be set up for closer support of attacking troops. Not to take away form the sculpt, could it be the cannon was just done in wrong scale? I do like the sculpt, but the size difference in the cannon could be an issue.
  16. Zastrow.cuirassier PlanetFigure Supporter

France
    Finally a mystery on PF!:bored:
    Do we have to call on to CIS?(n)
    But which one are on PF Las Vegas, Manhattan or Miami?:);):sneaky:
  17. F Troop Active Member

United-States
    ACW photo, ACW gun & carriage and four ACW officers of various heights all very close to 57" wheel. Your project Alexey, your call.....and it's still a good looking figure!

[IMG]
  18. F Troop Active Member

United-States
    Hey Trooper;

Actually there was just such an animal used during the ACW. It was the 12 Pdr Mountain Howitzer sometimes called "bull pups" by the troops. It was popular with both Union and Confederate units especially for small, fast moving unit raiders like Mosby and John Hunt Morgan. Below are a couple of pictures of some captured Confederate pieces....very distinctive gun tube, stubby carriage trails and 42" diameter wheels.

[IMG]

[IMG]

Now if we could just get a good kit in 54mm :)

Rick in Virginia
  19. IronMike A Fixture

US M1841 6lb gun. Used extensively by the CS until Lee asked that the tubes be melted down and recast as 12lb 'ders in 1862. Not sure why the wheels are so small. The reg's called for a No 1 carrige with 57" wheels. This one appears not to be a No 1 carrige and the wheels definately are not 57" unless these guys are 9 ft tall. Second picture is of me at VMI with one of the original Rockbridge Artillery 6 lb 'ders. Capt Pendelton named the 4 guns of the battery Mathew, Mark, Luke, and John. When firing he would command "fire Mathew, fire Luke, fire Mathew and fire John and may God have mercy on their souls"
    I'm 65" tall so that may give you some perspective.

M1841.jpg

Attached Files:

Joe Hudson and akaryu like this.
  20. Noel Walker Active Member

Hey Mike which one are you leaning on? Matthew, Mark, Luke or John? Been right there many a time hallowed ground