1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP Critique Washington Artillery bust

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by ChaosCossack, Aug 15, 2015.

1. ChaosCossack A Fixture

Canada
    Thanx Bob and Paul... would I also paint the "stump" of the right arm and down the side edges black?

Thanx Daniel, I only used scarlet as a glaze... high on the cheeks, top of the nose etc. Then I added a bit more figuring that when you are shouting and exerting yourself, your face gets redder than normal (I know mine does :mad:) then I pushed the purple glaze more around the eyes, temples and nose.

Colin
  2. ChaosCossack A Fixture

Canada
    Quick update...

Finished the highs and lows on the overcoat (I think :unsure:). Used Birch for the highs and Brown Leather for the shadows. I don't want to go back to it too many times as that usually ends in disaster.
    DSC02055.JPG DSC02056.JPG DSC02057.JPG DSC02058.JPG DSC02060.JPG DSC02061.JPG DSC02062.JPG
    That leaves me with the canteen strap, detailing the cap furniture and painting the cut off areas.

Down to the vinegar strokes with this one.

Colin
  3. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    Looks nice Colin. You have deally improved on this one. How did doing a bust for a change feel?
  4. ChaosCossack A Fixture

Canada
    Thanx Colin. Gotta say it's still kinda awkward... The large areas are still sorta daunting. Not as easy to see the definition, a lot of the shapes are very subtle.

I probably won't make a habit of doing busts but I know it won't be my last. I'm already eyeballing some of the other FeR mini busts

Colin
  5. ChaosCossack A Fixture

Canada
    Update,
    We'll call this 98% done...
    Some work on the cap braiding, collar braiding and around the buttons.
    DSC02083.JPG DSC02084.JPG DSC02085.JPG DSC02086.JPG DSC02087.JPG DSC02088.JPG DSC02089.JPG DSC02090.JPG DSC02091.JPG DSC02092.JPG DSC02093.JPG
    Anything else I need to address?

Colin
    Paul Kernan and crf like this.
  6. ellie A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi Colin they will be ready next week my friend, officer with the flag is out now was released at the White Rose club on sat and went down very well and the vignette is out for Euro.

Good start on the bust looking good.

Ian

www.elliesminiatures.com
    ChaosCossack likes this.
  7. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    That looks great Colin. You have to keep with the busts.
    ChaosCossack likes this.
  8. ChaosCossack A Fixture

Canada
    Thanx Ian and Colin

I actually started another bust last night :D

Colin
  9. Paul Kernan A Fixture

Canada
    Nice one, Colin. Really like the red on the kepi
    ChaosCossack likes this.
  10. ChaosCossack A Fixture

Canada
    Thanx for the kind words Paul, very much appreciated... When it comes to busts I'll always defer to you and Colin... I still struggle with painting larger areas with softer or more subtle drapery.

Any hints on the kepi braid would help too

Colin