1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Completed Wash from Serenity 1/4 bust

Discussion in 'Painting Techniques' started by Ethan, Mar 10, 2012.

1. Ethan Active Member

United-States
    Here is my next paint job from the Serenity 1/4 head Sculpts. Wash (Alan Tudyk), who was the pilot of the ship Serenity in the FireFly series. The sculpt is by Trevor Groves who sculpts for Sideshow Toys. You can see his work on Deviantart or Sideshowfreaks forum.

Painted all reaper acrylics, no airbrush

Full Frame-1.jpg Full Frame-1-2.jpg Full Frame-1-3.jpg Full Frame-1-4.jpg pre paint.jpg
    pmfs, YellowBear, toy4x4 and 3 others like this.
  2. Meehan34 A Fixture

United-States
    whoa, all brush is an insane undertaking on this huge sculpt. Very nice start and that hair is killer. He looks about done, what else are you doing to him?
    Ethan likes this.
  3. Jamie Stokes Well-Known Member

Australia
    Very nice, and all by brush, impressive!

Are you doing the entire cast?

cheers
    Ethan likes this.
  4. Ethan Active Member

United-States
    Mike: Thanks so much! He is finished and sealed. The phone camera sadly washes out so much of the detail! The sculpts are my brothers; he collects Sideshow figures so he will eventually buy a blank body and make a custom character with it. I am doing this for fun; maybe with a chance at making some money for school, doing commissions.

Jamie: Thanks! I really enjoy doing the brush work. I feel like I can get so much more texture with brush versus an airbrush. I am going to be doing the entire cast and just started Kaylee. Females and makeup are going to add another dimension of difficulty to brushing the whole thing so we shall see if I can keep it up. I may have to resort to airbrushing the blush if I can't get a perfect edge.

I am glad your enjoying this; I know this work is a bit different than the standard figure stuff. Which I need to get back to work on as well lol!
  5. Jazz A Fixture

England
    Very realistic painting. Reminds me of a scene in "Bicentenniel Man" with Robin Williams.
    Ethan likes this.
  6. Ethan Active Member

United-States
    Thanks Jazz! I am really trying for the most realism I can get from these paintings. I like the look of some of the more stylized figures we see on here and I know they are just as hard to accomplish but for me; realism feels better :)
    Jamie Stokes likes this.