1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Warriors - SAS bust 200mm

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Bone, Nov 16, 2007.

1. Bone Active Member

Singapore
    Hi everyone,

Here's some pics of a bust painted in oils that I completed sometime back. Would like your comments what could have been done better.

I do find it more difficult getting straight lines and finishing touches with oils compared to acylics. But for figures that are 90mm or above, oils seem more suitable for the large surface coverage required.

Cheers
    Basil

Attached Files:

2. Rob Brown Member

United-States
    Looks Good Basil. I painted that bust a number of years ago. One of my favorites. I think I like your paint job better than mine.
  3. Sambaman Well-Known Member

United-States
    Basil,
    I think it's looking good. I personally like just a tad more contrasts. especially in the beige of the shirt. One other note that catches my eye is the fact that the beard and the flesh tones seem to be the same tone. That is to say thet seem to blend together. A bit more in the way of contrasts there might make the face pop just a tad more. Good work over all though. I have this guy in my "army" as well and it's nice to see some of the nice older pieces surface now and again. No pipe huh?

Jay H.
    OKC
  4. Bone Active Member

Singapore
    SAS bust

Hi Jay, Rob,

Thanks for your comments.

One thing I tried to do was a sunburnt looked. The skins normally a little reddish when you first get a sunburn but after extended exposure, it just gets a darker shade of brown.

Rob - I think the lighting for the photos was not very good and was also a bit yellowish (I took these under flourescent daylight lamps) which seems to have dampened the contrast between the beard and skin. But I still agree with you there could be more contrast.

You would also notice that the whites are a bit glossy - which they aren't really.

I did leave out the pipe as i felt it was a distraction to the well sculptured features.

Overall, a nice piece to paint but a bit frustrating at times due to my limited abilities with oils.

Cheers
    Basil