1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP Critique Warriors' Colonel of the Confederacy

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by ACCOUNT_DELETED, Apr 7, 2013.

1. Helm A Fixture

England
    If you can't, just act like a dick then you can be just like him :sneaky:
    Steve
  2. Mat Lambert A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Great books Colin, makes me wish I was more into ACW subject so I could justify getting these.
    Like you painting so far too. Think it's a bit much for the artist to claim against the sculpt, it's only a reference pose (can painters claim historical characters standing in a particular way are their work??) and anyway you think he'd be pleased it was admired.
    Cheers Mat
    ChaosCossack and crf like this.
  3. mil-mart A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    A great start Colin and looking forward to following , it's a shame this figure is no longer available.

Cheers Ken
    crf and Helm like this.
  4. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    Started his frock coat. So far I have the base and one highlight - there will be several more highlights and inks. Basically its a mix of royal blue + Stone grey + ivory with a bit of black for the base coat. Painting and blending can be left pretty rough at this point.

Base for trousers is royal blue + khaki + ivory.

Photos are quite a lot lighter than he looks to the eye at this point.

P1010042.JPG P1010043.JPG P1010044.JPG P1010045.JPG

Colin
  5. tiberius57 A Fixture

Canada
    Thanks for the mix. Following closely. Will look great! (y)
    Cheers,
    Zeno
    crf likes this.
  6. JasonB Moderator

United-States
    Don Troiani calling, line 1...:whistle:
    housecarl and crf like this.
  7. ChaosCossack A Fixture

Canada
    Hey Westly Colin

Looks like the start of another great piece. Face looks awesome! I look foreward to the rest of this SBS.

Colin of the East
    crf likes this.
  8. Mike S. Well-Known Member

United-States
    Here is my take on the Gordon figure. I shortened the booted legs, as they are anatomically too long as is:
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
  9. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    Very nice Mike = I think you posted yours on vbench a few years ago and its an inspiring piece. I agree you did a great job on the legs but have to say I don't see the issue - I don't think its a mandatory fix as there are plenty of figures with much worse issues.

Any idea who sculpted this? He did a great job of taking his cue from Troiani's print while not copying it LOL

Colin
    Mike S. likes this.
  10. debrito A Fixture

Canada
    Very good, I really liked....(y)
    Mike S. and crf like this.
  11. Mike S. Well-Known Member

United-States
    The company was started by John Rosengrant and Chris Mrosko, and this figure was released before they sold the company to VLS, so maybe John sculpted it? It has been years since I painted this, and I can't recall if the box art named the sculptor or not.
    crf likes this.
  12. JasonB Moderator

United-States
    Michael Daley sculpted it and Bill Horan did the box art.
  13. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    I expect Mike is in witness protection then. A gifted sculptor.

Colin
  14. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    More progress...nothing like an ice storm to spur on productivity at the bench. The "honey do list" is officially on hold with controlling shareholder approval. :):D The grey is mostly done but still needs tidying where I have done lining etc. The piping and buttons are only undercoated.

1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg

You will see my CSA grey is a lot darker than Troiani's, Mike's version or Bill H's box art. That's intentional as I am going more towards the colour of some of the surviving senior officer frock coats in the Time Life book illustrations, all of which are quite dark. After getting the grey done to my (almost) satisfaction, I washed him with diluted liquitex burnt umber ink mixed with citadel blue ink. The umber was to introduce some indication of soiling and the blue to retain the grey tone and not have it shift toward brown too much. I like the result, but found when washing with inks one needs to apply sparingly with a large brush and keep a dry large brush to quickly remove pooling where you don't want it. If you wait too long the inks dry at the edges of the pools leaving a fine ring....not good.

Colin
  15. JasonB Moderator

United-States
    I would lean toward investigating Troiani's crawl space and back yard...:wideyed:
    crf likes this.
  16. Braemp Active Member

Excellent Mike. Very nice painting. You really captured the stubborn look of him.

Regards lars

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  17. housecarl Moderator

United-Kingdom
    Lovely work Colin.
    Carl.(y)
    crf likes this.
  18. ChaosCossack A Fixture

Canada
    Your grey is turning out really well... always a difficult colour to work with. I concur with your decision to keep the grey and infantry blue a bit darker than what one often sees in paintings and such. I think the coarse wool fabric wouldn't allow for terribly bright colours.
    I look forward to seeing how you approach the black leather riding boots.

Carry on, MacDuff

Colin the Younger
    crf likes this.
  19. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    Work on Austrian knots and gloves.

8s.jpg 9s.jpg 11s.jpg

Colin
    Mike S., tiberius57 and ChaosCossack like this.
  20. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    Nice reference - found this shot of Gordon's coat, after promotion to general officer.

GAAH32.JPG Gordon-John.jpg

Colin
    Mike S. and ChaosCossack like this.