1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Warriors Bust of a German Mercenary of the 30 YR.

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Von Bock, Apr 4, 2005.

1. Von Bock Well-Known Member

United-States
    This is the Warriors Bust of a German Mercenary of the 30 YR. War. A very nice bust. I painted this in Oils and Acrylics. I did this bust awhile ago but wanted to share it with all of you. The base was made by my father-in-law and myself. The feather is from a chicken on my parents farm. Comments welcome. Thank you,
    Brock

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/bulldoggrena...m/ph//my_photos
  2. Jacek Spychalski Member

Poland
    Nice work Brock ! :)

Regards

Jacek
  3. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    Brock - Great work! Man, you're a good face painter. The shading is gorgeous. Looks like he's pretty p-o'ed. What a colorful period vs. the drab first world war!

That face gives me the shudders. Not a guy I'd like to meet in a dark alley, but in a war I wouldn't mind having him in front of me.

Two quibbles - meant 100% constructively. (1) the photos are sort of dark. I've given up shooting photos of figures indoors. I just can't get the lighting right! The spring sunshine yesterday improved the sailor, but unfortunately left shadows which I had to edit out as much as possible with Photoshop. (2) in the photos, the cuirasse doesn't look like metal. I'm currently working on the Verlinden WWI German sentry with the body armor. I mixed acrylic green and aluminum and the result is a metallic green color. Of course I have to mix the devil out of it to keep the aluminum in the acyrlic from going out of suspension, but it seems to work. So far, I've just gotten to the first layer, so... Still might blow up in my face! I think you said you painted the bust with oils and acrylics, yes? Don't know what you used on the cuirasse. I like the Vallejo 790 silver which is oil based. Smelly but it looks metallic.

all the best,
    Dan
  4. captnenglish Well-Known Member

United-States
    I've been thinking about getting this guy recently (to compliment the Gustavus Adolphus Bust on my workbench), you've done a nice job of it.
  5. Von Bock Well-Known Member

United-States
    Thank you all for the comments. Dan yep he looks to be a very unhappy camper that's for sure. I have never really done a figure from this era and I liked the looks of him. The figure was done for my mother who thought he was really impressive. I see what you mean about the metal. And I agree whole heartly on the lighting. I will try the great outdoors. Dan all the constructive comments you have put forth are great and I thank you for all of them. I also want to thank Captnenglish and Jacek for there kind words. Now on to the next piece. Thanks Brock
  6. Mongo Mel Active Member

United-States
    Hi Brock,
    Nice job. I'd have to agree with what Dan said so no need to repeat him.
    I did this one a few years ago. While I really like the look of it, my copy had some big problems. First were some major air bubbles in the arms. othing that couldn't be repaired, just never should have made it past quality control. The bigger problem I had was trying to get the arms/sword/scabbard to line up in a realistic way. It didn't help that the sword arrived broken off. I ended up cutting the arms to suit. Just curious how yours was.
    I really like the face on this bust so I decided not to use the hat. They made it an easy decision since the top of head was fully sculpted :) .
    Here's a pic of how mine turned out...
    Anyway, as I said, you did a real nice job on yours. What's up next?
    Craig
    PS: anyone else think this guy looks like Lenin? :lol:

Attached Files:

7. Von Bock Well-Known Member

United-States
    Craig,
    thank you for the comments. Mine also had air bubbles in the arms but not terrible. My arms seemed to match up with the sword and scabbard fine. the face on this fig was great. My sword wasn't broken. But I really like your bust. The head without the hat is very nice looking. You have done a very nice job on yours. My next is a bust also I should have pics soon. Thanks again. Brock