1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Wanted

Discussion in 'General Figure Talk' started by marco55, Nov 17, 2022.

1. marco55 Well-Known Member

United-States
    Are there any 54mm-1/32 figures of Janos Hyundai and Skanderbeg out there?
    Mark
  2. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Mark

Don't remember any particularly named but surely there's some that could be used for these

Sorry can't be more helpful

Good luck

Nap
  3. Mirofsoft A Fixture

Belgium

Albanian prince Skanderbeg once fought in alliance with János Hunyadi against the expansion of the Ottoman Empire. XV cent
  4. marco55 Well-Known Member

United-States
    Yes I've been reading about them but I knew they were legends in their own time. Vlad Tepes was fighting the Turks around this time also
  5. harrytheheid A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi Mark,
    Finding suitable miniatures for depicting mid-15th century Eastern Europe is a tall order. I ended up using 13th, 14th and early-15th century Russians, English and French figures to stand in as Wallachians in my ersatz "Vlad Tepes vs The Ottomans" display, but it only works if you screw up your eyes and use a lot of imagination...
    :( ...while viewing it from about six feet away...:whistle:
    03.JPG
    Romeo models have the figure attached below, but it's way too modern to use as Skanderbeg, although it might work with some alterations.
    02.jpg
    Of course, Beneito's Vlad Tepes would probably work at a pinch as Ján Hunyadi - changing the head so he's not wearing headgear would likely help as well.
    01.jpg
    I changed out the shield on my example and gave him a great big axe to lug around.
    He finds it handy for dispatching the Turks quickly - and to sharpen the end of his wooden stakes when he wants to dispatch them slowly...:wideyed:
    01a.jpg

These are the best suggestions I can come up with in 54mm.
    If you go up to 75mm, then there's the possible option of Pegaso's Roaming Knight as a young Skanderbeg, although I think a Polish or Russian, (or even an Ottoman), Man-at-Arms would "fit" better as a partisan/guerilla fighter.
    04.jpg

While Pegaso's Vlad Dracul kit might be suitable to use as Hunyadi.
    05.jpg

You'd have to age him up, but that's easy enough as per my second version shown below.
    07.jpg

Whatever way you go, I think you'll certainly have to consider carrying out some conversion work. Unless, like me, you're willing to accept a few glaring inconsistencies.
    Good Luck
    H
    marco55 likes this.
  6. marco55 Well-Known Member

United-States
    Hi Harry, That's some great looking work you have there.
    Mark
    harrytheheid and Nap like this.
  7. marco55 Well-Known Member

United-States
    Here's a nice Vlad Tepes vignette on ebay.
    Mark

Dracula.jpg
    harrytheheid likes this.
  8. harrytheheid A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hope the photos give you some ideas Mark.
    So, what sparked the interest in Albanian and Hungarian mid-1499;s history? then I don't think this is a subject that lies within your usual scope of interest?
    Interestingly, Hunyadi was both a fierce enemy and then a tepid ally at different time in the life of of Vlad Tepes.

PS. I wonder if some of the Cossack figures that are available might work for conversion to the Albanian hero?
    Nap likes this.
  9. marco55 Well-Known Member

United-States
    Well I have always been interested in Eastern Europe/Balkans but I'm reading a book called Defenders of the Faith that got me interested again. I go through different periods of interest. FIW, ACW ,Colonial period, WWI, Rome ,Moslem conquests, Mongol conquests. You name it and sooner or later I will be interested in it.(y)
    Mark
    Nap and harrytheheid like this.
  10. harrytheheid A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    That's much the same as myself, and I suspect a significant number of other posters here.
    Please keep us updated on your search for suitable figures that'll fit into the Ottoman era of the mid-15th century.

PS. Arguably a bit cheesy, but this is still well worth a look.
    The first couple of minutes are in Arabic and then the audio changes to dubbed English.

Cheers
    H
    Nap likes this.