1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Waffen Ss Warriors Bust - Step By Step

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by lupanzer, Oct 25, 2007.

1. lupanzer Active Member

Brazil
    :mad: Hi fellows!

HOW I PAINTED FLESH TONES:

First of all,look the paints that I´ll use in this process:

[IMG]

Let´s go for it:

1)Using the oil colors such as Burnt Sienna and Yellow Ochre blend a mixture:

[IMG]

[IMG]

2)Use no turpentine,this is very important!Paint the mixture onto the face and hand untill fully covered.You´ll now have a thick coating that will look terrible,don´t worry,this is okay!

[IMG]

3)Now take a wide flat brush that is completely dry.Begin removing the excess paint from the face and hand with the brush using a downward vertical motion and cleaning the brush frequently between passes with a soft dry cloth.When completed the areas of the forehead,nose,chin...will have less paint and will be lighter than the recessed areas.This is the effect that you are trying to attain.See the pics:

[IMG]

[IMG]

4)Now apply the mixture showed bellow of Yellow Ochre,Pure White and Light Red to those highlighted areas and allow to set for 30 to 60 minutes(do not blend the mixture now!).See:

[IMG]

[IMG]

5)Blending is a process of shoftening,the edges between two colors so they flow together,rather than having a sharp edge.See the pic:

[IMG]

6)Now take the white oil paint and apply to the same areas as the yellow ones in the previous step.Apply also Red for the lower lip and Raw Umber to areas to simulate a light beard.Do not blending again,wait 30 to 60 minutes.This allow the moisture in the paint to evaporate,otherwise it will become to discolored by the base coat.See:

[IMG]

Alot of brushes are used in the process,look:

[IMG]

After the final blending,look the results:

[IMG]

7)The eyes will be painted when the oil colors will be dried(a long time...:mad: ) NormallyI paint the eyes according the following:I paint the entire eye black,blue,brown or green enamels...then after drying I paint the whites with amixture of white enamel and atiny amount of blue enamel...it will reduce the "popeye effect".

NOTE: I learned this tecnique reading some VERLINDEN PUBLICATIONS...I hope that you enjoy it...More will come...See you!

Luiz.
  2. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    Same method I use for all my flesh Luiz. You flesh looks good. Keep up the great work.
  3. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Luiz

I'm keen to see your step-by-step shots of painting the eyes. The technique you described sounds very interesting and I'm curious to see what the final results look like. I presume you painted the base coat on the uniform with an airbrush??

Have you ever used acrylics??

Cheers
  4. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Luiz,
    Really enjoying this SBS. Learning alot.

marc
  5. lupanzer Active Member

Brazil
    Dear friends:

@ Guy : Thanks...but I think that my flesh tones are a bit dark...I´ll try to correct later...because the next step will be : the painting of the camo smock.

@Tony : Yes,the smock base coat was painted with an airbrush...Usually I use enamels to paint the uniforms.

@Marc : Thanks,more will come!

Regards for all !

Luiz.
  6. Marcel Active Member

Spain
    Great SBS and good photos Luiz!
  7. Tarok Active Member

Australia
    Terrific SBS. Keep 'em coming!

Rudi :)
  8. lupanzer Active Member

Brazil
    Great!

Thanks,Marcel and Tarok....Regards!

Luiz.
  9. lupanzer Active Member

Brazil
    Now I´ll begin the smock camo painting.It´s a difficult process and we must be patient...First of all,I chose the pattern that I like very much...autumn oak leaf grey/brown beginning 1944,see the reference:

[IMG]

Now with a pencil I draw the chosen camouflage pattern.After do it I´ll begin to paint the camouflage ( first the light colors and then the darker ones ) see how I did the drawings:

[IMG]

[IMG]

Let´s go now for the next phase:The smock painting.

I made a mixture of two enamels for the second color:
    Model Master Enamel(Burnt Sienna)+Aero Master Enamel(04 Gelb),see the sequence:

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

Regards.

Luiz.
  10. lupanzer Active Member

Brazil
    Once more an update of my project,now the painting of all camouflage colors,the last ones:

-Mixture of Aero Master´s Gunship Grey + Tire Black.

-Mixture of Aero Master Sandgelb = Model Master Leather.

All enamels.

Still are missing to paint:

-The straps ( Black and Leather ).
    -The ammo pouches ( Black ).
    -The grenade (Brown + Black Grey ).
    -The balaclava ( Dark Grey ).
    -The reversible smok side ( White ).

See the pics :

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

See you in the next topic!

Luiz.
  11. lupanzer Active Member

Brazil
    Another step of my project:

The painting of the white of the smock(inner side),the helmet strap and of the balaclava...see:

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

see you!

Luiz.
  12. lupanzer Active Member

Brazil
    At finally,I finished all the painting with the enamels...I´ll go for the weathering ( with oils,of course ) . I intend to post the sequence asap.

See the painting of ammo pouches,straps,buttons and the grenade,see:

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

Regards!

Luiz.
  13. lupanzer Active Member

Brazil
    Another step :

After a smooth white oil color has been applied over the white enamel,begin removing excess oil paint with adry brush,frequently cleaning the brush on a soft cloth or a towel paper...athin coat is the goal.

Now in the recessed areas apply a tiny amount of the shadow oil colors ( Raw Umber for shadows and Yellow Ochre or Burnt Sienna for dirt ) and begin blending,darker at the bottonof the recess and graduating lighter upward until you are near the crest wich will become the highlighted areas.

See the process:

1) Painting:

[IMG]

2) Removing the excess :

[IMG]

3)Shadowing :

[IMG]

4)Blending :

[IMG]

5)The final results:

[IMG]

[IMG]

Till the next!

Luiz.
  14. lupanzer Active Member

Brazil
    More an update:

Weathering straps

This treatment will give a worn look.

1)Apply a thin coat of one oil color,here Burnt Sienna.Remove the excess:

[IMG]

2) Apply now,very tiny amounts of Yellow Ochre and Raw Umber :

[IMG]

3) Blending.

[IMG]

4)Final results:

[IMG]

Luiz.
  15. lupanzer Active Member

Brazil
    Now weathering the Balaclava.

Apply to all recessed areas (inside folds),a tiny amount of Raw Umber oil color and begin blending very subtle from the botton to the crest.

After dried a very subtle drybrushing on the crests was done ( in this one,I used light grey oil tone ).In this step it´s important to try not overdo it!

See the process:

1) Shadowing / Blending:

[IMG]

[IMG]

2) Preparing for the Drybrushing:

[IMG]

3)Drybrushing:

[IMG]

4)Final Results:

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

Regads!

Luiz.
  16. lupanzer Active Member

Brazil
    Posts ago,I commented that my flesh tones were a bit dark...so,now I clear them...see:

[IMG]

[IMG]

Comments are welcome!

Regards for all ! Luiz.
  17. lupanzer Active Member

Brazil
    I´ll show you now,how I aged the ammo pouches and their belts:

1) Apply atiny amount of Raw Umber over the black enamels:

[IMG]

2)Apply White oil color in strategic points:

[IMG]

3)Blend:

[IMG]

4)Final results:

[IMG]

[IMG]

See you in the next one!

Luiz.
  18. Excatlon Active Member

Poland
    the last one looks great
  19. lupanzer Active Member

Brazil
    Dear Damian.

Thanks ,Stay tunned...the end is near!

Cheers.

Luiz.
  20. lupanzer Active Member

Brazil
    Hi Friends!

WASHING(SHADOWING) THE CAMO SMOCK

I applied to all recessed areas , such as , around raised surfaces,pockets,collars,inside folds and creases,around buttons and straps atiny amount of Raw Umber.

After aproximately ten minuyes, with an aproprieted brushes,slight moisted with turpentine,I blended away from the arised areas...

See the process and enjoy the final results:

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

Luiz.