1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

W.I.P. Greek Thespian Hoplite at Thermopylae

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by paulyrichard, Jun 4, 2007.

1. paulyrichard New Member

United-Kingdom
    So, jus' as Paris 'braindead' Hilton starts her jail term, i'm startin' with this!

I've started with the helmet/ head, and with the fittin' of the plume. It really does need to be pinned due to the small bondin' area available. A 0.5mm drill bit is a must have for this job!

[IMG]

[IMG]
  2. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    Looks like a Seil figure Paul? Keep on going
  3. paulyrichard New Member

United-Kingdom
    Yep, this is Seil's, cheers Guy
  4. eissteban Active Member

France
    hi paul
    forget Paris and have a good time with this figure ;)
  5. vergilius New Member

Belgium
    Just don't make him too skinny
  6. paulyrichard New Member

United-Kingdom
    Thanks guys!

I'm a little worried about my Paris, but she's been gracious and i'm glad of that. I hope to god she's not anyone's 'boy'! :)

I got the inside of the shield done. First of all, the cord that came with the kit I ran through some varnish to keep the fibres down. I fixed it in place with superglue and I made the two ends meet up behind his wrist, out of sight. I created the loops that the cord runs through at the corners with some Mr. Dissolved Liquid Putty, applied with a brush. Some Milliput was used to lengthen the cord, and reach the attachments near his hand.

[IMG]
  7. eissteban Active Member

France
    hi Paul
    i like the accuracy of the details.
  8. Roc Active Member

United-States
    Richard, this a beautiful figure, I know you will do a great job painting it, looking forward to your next step.

Cheers
    Roc
  9. paulyrichard New Member

United-Kingdom
    Cheers dudes.

I've got it all together now. The actual figure jus' needed to be rocked back a little on its heels and cemented in place. The reason bein' that the hang of he's cloak at the rear, would not have looked purpendicular (I hope thats the right word), with the surface.

For this a lot of Milliput was used at his feet and levelled out. I really don't like the rock formation on this base, but i'll work on that later when the figure is finished.

Also, five hits were scored onto his shield. I don't know why but odd numbers always seem to look and feel right when used in this respect.

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]
  10. periklis_sale Member

Greece
    nice one mate!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

as a Greek i will follow closely your posts!!!!!!!!
  11. paulyrichard New Member

United-Kingdom
    Thanks Periklis.

I've started work on this by givin' it a coat of automotive matt black primer, as usual.

There is not much of a pallette of colours that can be used for a Thespian Hoplite. My references tell me black, black and more black.

I used Vallejo Black Grey for the linothorax armour. Shades of Lamp Black were then applied, while for the highlights Titanium White was added to the Lamp Black. I used Vallejo German Camo' Med. Brown for the tunic colour, shaded with Yellow Ochre mixed with Lamp Black. For the highlights Yellow Ochre mixed with Naples Yellow Hue, was used.

[IMG]
  12. paulyrichard New Member

United-Kingdom
    I'm gonna' have problems photographin' this black grey colour. I take all my pictures outdoors and tend to suffer the vagaries of UV. This is why the black colour looks a little 'blue'. This is not how it is 'for real'.
  13. Jeff T A Fixture

Australia

He's starting to look good Paul.

I'm looking forward to seeing this one unfold.

Cheers,
    Jeff.
  14. Christos Well-Known Member

Greece
    Very good so far my friend,Looking forward to see this complete.(If you want to paint one of the 700 hoplites in Thermopyles,the tunic must be in black also)
    Keep us posted
    christos
  15. paulyrichard New Member

United-Kingdom
    Thanks guys.

Chris, I thought this too, but I have to show some artistic license. The figure is gonna' look too borin', otherwise. I jus' opted for a little contrast. Cheers man.
  16. periklis_sale Member

Greece
    I agree with Christos about the black color!!!!

But if you want to give it an artistic license go ahead my friend. It looks good so far!!!!!!!!!!
  17. vergilius New Member

Belgium
    getting very nice !
  18. paulyrichard New Member

United-Kingdom
    Thanks a lot, guys.

Here is the cloak havin' been completed. This part of the figure was very worryin' for me as to how it would turn out. First 'cos of the fact that vertical folds do not look as effective when painted as horizontal ones, and second, the idea of highlightin' black is not all that as straight forward as you'd think. Especially on such a large scale as his cloak. Anyway, i'm happy with how its turned out.

The interior of the shield is complete, also. The whole thing is still lookin' a little shiny as a result of the oils havin' not fully dried.

[IMG]

[IMG]
  19. periklis_sale Member

Greece
    nice work mate!!!!!!!!!!
  20. eissteban Active Member

France
    hi Paul
    I follow your work with attention
    This is extremelly well done