1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Voting for yourself, really?

Discussion in 'General Figure Talk' started by Steve Ski, Feb 5, 2022.

1. Steve Ski PlanetFigure Supporter

United-States
    Without wanting stepping on any toes here amongst the brethren, I would like to broach a subject many have not noticed. I think it's "inappropriate" to vote for oneself in the FOTM contests. The rules are posted clearly for all to see, but I still see it happening in quite a few contests. This is weak, IMHO.

Strangely enough, some of the individuals who do this hardly need to vote for themselves, their work is impeccable. Personally, I enter the contests for the Sport of it, just for fun. I'm not in it for the prizes or the accolades. Either my work is good enough, or it's not, but I've never voted for myself, that just strikes me as,...................... You get the picture.

If I have offended anyone, I do apologize up front, but I think it's a conversation about integrity worth having. We're all pretty much veteran "paint sniffers" here and we love this Sport otherwise we wouldn't do it.

Wondering what yall are thinking in this regard.

Cheers, Ski.
    Henk, malc, Oda and 9 others like this.
  2. Banjer A Fixture

England
    I agree, it does seem a little against the spirit of the competion.

On the same subject but a different tack I have noticed some people vote for every entry which rather nullifies voting in the first place. It does of course prevent the dreaded nil votes.

Bill
    Henk, Oda, Babelfish and 3 others like this.
  3. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Everyone

Steve raises a good point , this has happened a couple of times .......however I ensure I check the voting and if it has occurred it is deducted from the total

QUITE SIMPLY ...DO NOT VOTE FOR YOURSELF

IF YOU SEE SELF VOTING ?...PM me

As for Bill comment voting is a personal thing , I put in multi voting to give another option ....if single voting is preferred then it can be done

Just PM me !

Nap
    Oda and Steve Ski like this.
  4. Alex A Fixture

Canada
    Oups sorry everyone. I did vote for myself in the last fotm. I didn't know it was not allowed. I was very happy about my last project and it was for me 'normal' to vote for it since even our prime minister does it while being photographed by the press at the polling station. I have sent a pm to Nap. Thanks and sorry again.
    Oda, DaddyO, Steve Ski and 2 others like this.
  5. Larsen E. Whipsnade Moderator

United-States
    I agree. Don't vote for yourself even though the temptation may be understandably there. I know when I first arrived at our site a year and a half ago I was tempted to vote for myself and once last year succumbed to that temptation... and felt very foolish afterward. As for multiple voting? I'm all for eliminating it too. It doesn't serve any purpose other than, as Bill said, "to avoid the dreaded nil vote". Voting for every entry is really the same as voting for no entry. It doesn't distinguish between the entries which, unless I'm dreadfully mistaken, is the entire purpose of the voting.
    Rick
    Oda, 1969, Babelfish and 1 other person like this.
  6. arj A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    I totally agree with the limited voting.
    However, I think it might be very frustrating to have only one vote when you consider say two or three are equally worthy.
    Perhaps limit it to three votes (you don't have to use every vote).

Cheers,
    Andrew
    Oda, Nap and Babelfish like this.
  7. Ferris A Fixture

Never realized this happened. I can sort of understand if it’s about becoming the boss of the country, or a lot of money...but if about something casual as figure of the month.... gee.
    Oda, Nap, Babelfish and 1 other person like this.
  8. Babelfish A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Agree with that. Limit it to maybe 3 votes.

As for voting for yourself, unless I've missed something I don't see how anyone can tell whether another member has done that. But I agree it's not cricket (it strikes me as similar to "liking" your own social media posts).

- Steve
  9. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi everyone

Thanks to Pawel for this information

1) You can't change that option once the voting starts. It makes sense, since changing how people can vote in the middle of voting would invalidate the results. Some people would have a multi-select option, and some would not.

MULTI OPTION WILL END WHEN VOTING IS FINISHED FOR JANUARYS FOTM on 28/2 ( also FOTY which ends on 2/3 )

2) The only setting is multi or single. You can't restrict to 3.

FROM FEBRUARY FOTM VOTING ONLY SINGLE VOTE SETTING WILL BE APPLIED

Nap
    Babelfish, kagemusha and DaddyO like this.
  10. Oda A Fixture

I find it completely distasteful too.It's vain,to say the least.

Oda.
    Nap likes this.
  11. Mirofsoft A Fixture

Belgium
    Politicians !?
    Oda likes this.