1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

"Von Steuben's Continentals" A.W.I. DVD

Discussion in 'General Figure Talk' started by poch mahone, Apr 16, 2007.

1. poch mahone Active Member

Scotland
    Hi Guys

I thought this may be of intrest to Planeteers who are into the A.W.I. It is the first in a planned series of 35 DVDs of American fighting men thru history. It is from the same producers of Wicked Spring and No Retreat From Destiny.

http://www.lionheart-filmworks.com/Films/Media/Von.html

Brian
  2. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Brian, I've seen the trailer/preview and it does not look too bad. The living historians in it look really good. One thing that was a bit of a turn off were the scene(s) showing folks doing a drill and one steps out of formation and gives what sounds like an eyewitness narrative. It's just comes off a little hokey. The other thing that makes it hard to shoot 18th-19th century military scenes is the lack of large numbers of people in the scenes. given that, the same folks show up in scene after scene. Mind you these are nit-picky comments, but all in all this series should be welcome. The folks at Lionheart are very into authenticity/accuracy which is a big plus.~Gary
  3. Jason W. Active Member

United-States
    Wow, I just ordered that DVD last week! Garys right, the people that work with Lionheart are very aunthenticity minded, which should be pleasing to the eye atleast. Looking forward to viewing this and more in the series.
  4. Jason W. Active Member

United-States
    I recently viewed the DVD and was pleased. Like Gary, I get turned off by "hokey" acting in historical films. But the scene Gary pointed out wasn't that really distractive. After that initial scene you kinda expect that type of narration.

The scenes explaining drill, uniforms and equipment is realy nice and could be useful for modelers as well as aspiring reenactors.

My only gripes would be the lack of reenactors. You see the same faces over and over. But you have to understand that, there is only a handful of American Revolutionary War reenactors that take their impressions seriously. And thats the type of people LoinHeart wants portrayed in their films.

Another, is the lack of General officers. I'm all for the portrayal of the common soldier, but one authentic dressed officer with staff, riding or walking through camp would have been nice.

Despite the little things, and my own critical view, I highly recommend this DVD .

I also picked up the "The Battle of Green Spring" reenactment video. Not bad. Lots of "eye candy" but IT'S a reenactment video. The reenactment was put on to help preserve this field outside Williamsburg, Virginia. Hey, I wonder if the APG would have interest in helping this project out too?

I plan on getting their forthcoming "Yorktown" and future Civil War films (if anything for the eye candy).

Jason
  5. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Jason, I guess I have a bad habit of looking at a movie/documentary from the standpoint of "what could have been" and NOT for what it is. It might also be of help to Lionheart to Email them a review of sorts which might help to make future productions even better. I'll be picking this one up sometime. Thanks for the review.~Gary

PS, Hey Jason, How about a review of the G'burg battle walks?
  6. Jason W. Active Member

United-States
    Gettysburg Battlewalks

For those who havn't been or don't get to visit the Battlefield of Gettysburg much, here's the next best thing: PCN, a public television station in Pennsylvania (am I right, Gary?) has been taping battlefield tours at the National Park for many years now and have put them to DVD.

These tours are led by National Park rangers and licensed battlefield guides. Most are of the popular stops on the battlefield but others take you "off the beaten path". These are the ones I particularly enjoy.

There are several titles, but I'll list the ones that are favorites of mine.
    I picked up five "tours" this past weekend on my way back from MFCA.
    The ones I recommend are as follows:
    1. Culp's Hill-Tour given by Scott Hartwig. I can listen to this guy talk all day.
    Excellent tour on a little understood part of the battle.
    2. Spangler's Spring-Tour given by two licensed guides. They show rarely, or never seen before photos of this little spot on the battlefield.
    3.Power's Hill-Tour given by Troy Harmen. The tour is of the "nerve center" of the Union line. Again, a part of the battlefield that is least visited or understood for it's importance.
    4.Lee's retreat through Monterey Pass-Tour given by several people. This one takes you off the battlefield. They go to spots that were important to the "Pennsylavnia Campaign". Thats right! These tour guides want to change it from the Gettysburg Campaign to the "Pennsylvania Campaign". And they show you why.
    5. Herbst Wood's-Tour given by Scott Hartwig. No need to say more. The guy is awesome!

You can get some of these titles from the History.Net store. http://www.historynetshop.com/dvds.html?pagenum=3

Gary, you have to get to the Farnsworth house bookstore they are $15.99 each!

Jason
  7. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Jason, When I go this summer they are on my "wants list" along with some books.~Gary
  8. poch mahone Active Member

Scotland
    Jason,

The DVDs look really interesting. It's a pity that they only ship to the U.S.A. and Canada.

Brian
  9. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States

Maybe a Pf member would be kind enough to make arrangements with you if you're interested in getting the DvD.~Gary