1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Volunteers of Ireland, c.1780

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by garyjd, Oct 20, 2005.

1. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    Excellent work Gary. I look forward to seeing it completed.
  2. Joe Hudson Well-Known Member

United-States
    Gary,

Your best so far, WOW!!

Joe
  3. yeo_64 Well-Known Member

Singapore
    BEAUTIFUL WORK,Gary (y) (y) (y) !!! You make it all look so EASY ! Cheers.
    Kenneth.
  4. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    John, Thanks. The musket will be resting inside the crook of his right arm.

As for the canteen, I rolled out a piece of putty to the thickness I wanted the canteen to be. Once patially cure I cut the putty into a square that matched the scale dimensions of an original (size varies). Then I coated an X-acto handle with a thin skin of vaseline. The shape was then carefully pressed onto the handle. Once dry the shape was removed from the handle and the corners rounded to give that kidney shape.~Gary
  5. Marijn Van Gils New Member

Thanks for the great sbs Gary!
    I absolutely love the hair, but I think you also did a great job on all the straps, which often takes more work and planning than most people notice.
    Can't wait to see the rest of the equipment take shape...

Best wishes,

Marijn
  6. Major_Goose Well-Known Member

Greece
    detail works look awsome Gary . It goes smooth and nice . Nice project
  7. quang Active Member

Belgium
    Gary,

This could be your best sculpt to date. (y)

Most noticeable is the fluidity.

BRAVO!
    Quang
  8. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Finally finished. The figure will go out to Joe Hudson withing the next few days. Overall I'm about 70% satisfied with the results. This was a figure I looked forward to doing and ran out of steam at the end. Anyway it's done and will go to on to be auctioned off for a good cause.~Gary

Attached Files:

9. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Here's another picture. Look for more to be posted tomorrow.

Attached Files:

10. Roy New Member

United-Kingdom
    Gary, a very natural pose and drapery, and some lovely details. Great to see this complete.
    I think you done an excellent job..looking forward to some more pics..and hope he does really well at the auction.

All the best...Roy.
  11. mertenspeter Member

Belgium
    Gary, loved to folow the SBS and to see the great result.

Now i am looking forword to your next project, any idea?

(y) Peter
  12. fsdesimone Member

Just curious Gary - what aren't you pleased with?

Regardless, I know Joe will bring it to life beautifully.

Francesca
  13. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Guys, Thanks for the kind words, I know Joe will do a great job painting him.~Gary
  14. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Where to start. :)

ARMS This is a tough scale to do arms in...well for me any scale is. The upper part off the arms are okay, they are not to heavy looking. I'm also mindful of the period being depicted and this is important as garments from different periods range from loose to tight. The part(s) I have a problem with are the forearms. I just do not like them.

HANDS Probably the hardest part for me. The right hand is definitely better than the left which makes no sense as the hand is holding the canteen.

SHOES The shoes are the right type but look small to me. If he were barefoot they would be just right. They do not look long enough.

HELMET The helmet shield looks klunky. I used plastic as opposed to putty, which I normally use. The putty would have been a bit thinner and the front of the helmet not as high.

Some people may not look at it the same way. I guess there are just some parts that do not match the mental picture I had in my head of the figure at that time.~Gary
  15. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    I may add a little length to the fingers with a bit of putty.

Attached Files:

16. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Haversack and cartridge box. Note the hair is braided and tucked under the cap. This was a typical way for Grenadiers and Light Infantrymen to dress their hair.

Attached Files:

17. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Another view of the cartridge box. This was entirely made from plastic strip stock and has a brass pin going through the center of it that plugs into the body of the figure.

Attached Files:

18. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    3/4 view of the figure from the right. The garters holding up the gaiters were made from lead wire (thanks Joe) that was flattened and glued to the leg.

Attached Files:

19. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    3/4 rear view of the figure.

Attached Files:

20. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Peter, Thanks. I'm going to post pictures of my flat (relief) of "Light Horse Harry" Lee which is almost complete. I also need to step up work on the 120mm SBS figure that I posted over on the SCULPTING section.

Following that I have a number of ideas ranging from commercial pieces to some "experimental" type things I'd like to try for the first time.~Gary