1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Volunteers of Ireland, c.1780

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by garyjd, Oct 20, 2005.

1. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    I was not going to start another project until the sbs figure was well underway. As the American Revolution is one of my favorite periods and I fully support historic preservation, be it saving a historical site or restoring an artifact, a unique oppourtunity came up I could not resist. This figure represents a member of the Volunteers of Ireland, which was a Loyalist unit during the war which fought at the Battle of Camden in 1780. This one off , 54mm figure when completed will be one of a number of Revolutionary War miniatures that will be auctioned off sometime next year, with the proceeds going to the Camden Battlefield. A webpage is being put together for the project and further information will be forthcoming.

A great figure study by don Troiani is being used to help insure the accuracy of the uniform. Excuse the watermark.

Attached Files:

2. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    A Shenandoah miniatures head, baked block of sculpey for the torso, Copper wire, and brass rod were used to begin the armature.

Attached Files:

3. captnenglish Well-Known Member

United-States
    As an historian (by trade) and a preservationist (by passion), I applaud your efforts. This is a great figure, shame it's a one off. Can't wait to see it finished.
  4. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Here is the armature filled out and posed with a resin copy of my Brown Bess musket. The figure will be pulling the stopper from his canteen, so the wire for the arms has been positioned accordingly.

Attached Files:

5. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    I sculpted the breeches and gaiters one leg at a time. The garter on each leg used to hold up the gaiters was made from flattened lead sodder.

Attached Files:

6. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Front of leg.

Attached Files:

7. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Near profile view.

Attached Files:

8. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Back view. Unfortunately most of the folds on the rump of the breeches have been covered up by the tails of the coat. I did not want to take a chanc on having to work them in later.

Attached Files:

9. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Here are both legs done with some work begun on the waistcoat.

Attached Files:

10. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Back view of both legs complete.

Attached Files:

11. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Full figure with skirts of waistcoat done. I use A&B putty for skirts/tails of coats. i find Aves too rubbery when rolled in sheets. I always backfill these areas once they're in place and dry for strength as the sheets are quite thin. I also built up a bit of the crown for what will be a Light infantry type cap.

Attached Files:

12. Anders Heintz Well-Known Member

United-States
    Looking great Gary! Love how the figures 'curves'. Keep it up!
  13. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Work begun on the lapels and tails for the coat done in A&B. After these pieces dry I run a bead of superglue around the edges that touch the torso. The inside of the coat is then backfilled for strength. Once this is dry I sand the outside edge of the coat to where it is paper thin to keep it in scale.

Attached Files:

14. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Gary,

I really like that figure. I seen alot of Don Toriani plates on the internet. I must admit that they are great for sculpting.
    So, you getting again the best out of the putty.
    Looking forward to your next step.

Marc
  15. Kisifer Well-Known Member

Greece
    Are you gonna make this beauty commercially available Gary? It's interesting figure indeed.

Xenofon
  16. Ernest A Fixture

Venezuela
    Amazing Gary just Amazing what you can do with some putty....awesome! :eek:
  17. Sambaman Well-Known Member

United-States
    Gary, looks fantastic so far. You do good work! ;)

Jay H.
    OKC
  18. bucsfan21 Well-Known Member

United-States
    Gary, Awesome work! The Rev. War is my second favorite period of American History. I applaud your efforts and look forward to seeing more on the figure's completion. Your enthusiasm and love for the period show in the end results!!!

Keep up the good work.

Terry Martin
    AMFS Group-Atlanta, GA
  19. frank h Well-Known Member

England
    Hi Gary
    This is inspirational
    have saved the pics learning a lot

Frank (y)
  20. rej Well-Known Member

Malta
    This is just plain amazing Gary :eek: