1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Voltigeur is DONE!

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Sambaman, Nov 12, 2005.

1. Sambaman Well-Known Member

United-States
    OK, OK, it's finaly done! This is my first attempt at reds, greens (other than OD of course), yellow, whites and blue! One of the main reasons I wanted to do this figure was to get in there and learn how to do, (or not to do, you be the judge!) these types of colors. I have a plaque on order for the front of the base. I have titled this one, "The Veteran". I hope I have captured a hardened soldier, tan from the sun and exposure, a faded and well used uniform, and a look of experience. I have to say that this is an excellently sculpted piece, and possibly my main attraction to this figure. Great fit, almost perfect casting and only minor clean up when all is said and done. One point to look for would be the backpack however. There were some odd "clumps" molded into it in certain spots. Mostly in the real nooks-and-cranies. I have to assume that was to make casting easier as there is a huge under-cut under the hatchet head for example that I'm sure gave the casters fits. There was a big chunk of goo there. A little Dremel magic and they were all taken care of!
    BTW, Guy Herrick's Voltigure somehow heard of another in town, and came over for a visit! We took some pics of the two of them before he left. They just looked so dapper in their little uniforms! :lol:

[IMG]

I'm ready for my close-up!
    [IMG]

Right 3/4.
    [IMG]

Right side.
    [IMG]

Left 3/4.
    [IMG]

Left side.
    [IMG]

They grow up so fast! I told them no curfew, but just for Prom night! :lol:
    [IMG]

A special thank you goes out to Guy Herrick, for the great pictures, encouragemnt and letting me paint the same figure he was while I made an absolutely feeble attempt at conveying him my technique for painting flesh-tones! ;)

Jay H.
    OKC
  2. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Jay, Great job on the bust. It's neat to see Guy's version next to yours.~Gary
  3. Sambaman Well-Known Member

United-States
    Gary, I think, by far, the best thing about doing these together was the stark contrast we ended up with in the end. It is fascinating to see how two people painting the same figures can come up with such divergent results! Even the simple way we mounted them makes such a difference. Guy's is upright, the back-pack moved slightly backward, and appears to be standing. Mine is canted more forward, the pack closer in to him and appears to be on the march. Sorta the OKC painters figure, if you will! :lol: Thanks for the comments.

Jay H.
    OKC
  4. dArtagnan A Fixture

Belgium
    Beautiful work, Jay! Lovely colors!
    Well done on your fleshtones too!
    Congratulation, I'll find it a real beauty! (y)

Eddy.
  5. nagashino New Member

Hello Jay

You have made an excellent job of this bust, and I agree, it's very interesting to see yours and Guy's side by side.

This piece has been around a fair while now, but it stands the test of time very well. I've see quite a few painted around the show benches over the years, but none any better than these two.

Not sure who sculpted it. It may well have been Roger Saunders, or possibly Tony Williams (Pegaso ACW pieces) - I know he did some work for Wolf/Hornet back then.

Nice work!

Phil
  6. Sambaman Well-Known Member

United-States
    Eddy,
    thanks for the kind words! ;)

Jay H.
    OKC
  7. Sambaman Well-Known Member

United-States
    Phil,
    thanks for the comments! Yes, it was Tony Williams. Hats off to him for his outstanding work on this piece. Again, my love of this sculpt was my main attraction to it. I am mainly a WWII guy, but this piece made it easy to stray!

Jay H.
    OKC
  8. Jason W. Active Member

United-States
    Excellent work, Jay!

You should "stray" more often ;)

Jason
  9. captnenglish Well-Known Member

United-States
  10. Roc Active Member

United-States
    Jay, excellent work, I really like the way it turned out. ;)

What's next on your work bench?

Cheers
    Roc. :)
  11. Sambaman Well-Known Member

United-States
    Jason, Matthew, Roc,
    your comments are much appreciated! Actually, Jason, and Roc the next piece will likely be a "stray" as well. I have one to finish up, a Jeep and two 35th figures, but then I hope to do the old Warriors "Billie the Kid" 200mm bust. It's a sorta "funny" lookin' face, but seeing it in person it's actually quite a nice sculp. The hair is very nicely done. I hope to do a small bit of conversion to it buy leaving his hat off and hanging it behind him with a tie arround his neck. I would also like to combine it with the new Adrea figure in 54mm for a small vignette! I'll keep ya posted.

Jay H.
    OKC
  12. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    You've done an excellent job on the bust Jay. That eye-patch still blows me away. For the rest of the guys........when in person seeing these two different versions done side by side they almost look like father and son. Jay as done an excellent job in ageing his version.

Jay also did an excellent job in teaching me his flesh technique as my own technique is geared toward the Native American skin tones and I found it hard (until Jay came over to the house and showed me his technique) to lighten my technique.

My hat is off to Jay for his Voltigeur.........a sure Gold next year.
  13. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    Lovely work there Jay! And I agree, it's amazing to see the differences in approach taken by two talented painters!

All the best,
    Dan
  14. Sambaman Well-Known Member

United-States
    Dan, thanks for the kind words! Guy, put your hat back on....the checks in the mail as ussual!! ;) :lol:

Jay H.
    OKC
  15. mikec55 PlanetFigure Supporter

United-States
    Jay-Outstanding work. I'm glad you put someone under the backpack rather than display it by itself! That figure should win you an award somewhere.

Mike
  16. Sambaman Well-Known Member

United-States
    Mike,
    you are too kind! Thanks for the comments. I couldn't leave the backpack by itself, "Still life with backpack" just had no pizzaz! :lol: I think if someone likes it enough to give it some sort of award that would be the icing on the cake! It sure was a hoot to paint.

Jay H.
    OKC
  17. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Jay,

Awesome, great, amazing and more superlative on this painted bust.
    further i must echo all the others.
    What a beauty.
    iám glad that i have not to be the judge for this two in competition.

Marc
  18. bucsfan21 Well-Known Member

United-States
    Jay and Guy, Great job on the Wolf bust! I too admire the flesh tones, attention to detail on gear and uniform. I have painted the 95th Rifle also by Wolf and enjoyed doing it. Would love to see you both bring your work to Atlanta Show in February.

SP< I am a fan of Tony Williams work. Would love to see him do a bust of a French Line Dragoon showing the detail from campaign in Spain.

Best of Everything, Terry Martin
  19. Sambaman Well-Known Member

United-States
    Marc, Terry,
    your kind words are, as always, very much appreciated!
    Terry, I would love to get out to Atlanta for sure! I managed to send some pieces to Chicago this year with a friend for the first time. I may try to do the same for Atlanta as well. My wife is in school right now working to get her Pharmacy degree and that makes it very difficult to travel. Both from a time and monetary standpoint! As soon as she is done however, I can assure you I am going to break loose and try to get out and see all these shows and exibitions I haven't had the opportunity to yet!!!!! Thanks again to you both! ;)

Jay H.
    OKC
  20. Sambaman Well-Known Member

United-States
    Mathew (captnenglish), I missed you in my thank you's - so thank you! I try to thank all commentors as I believe a person doesn't have to stop to say anything about peoples work, so those that do, deserve a nod..... ;)

Jay H.
    OKC