1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Review VMS Oil Expert - Enhancing Medium - Michigan Toy Soldier Blog

Discussion in 'Reviews , Video Reviews and Open Book' started by CondeJulian, Feb 11, 2020.

1. CondeJulian Well-Known Member

Brazil
    Hey Guys,

Just did a extensive review on VMS new range of oil enhancing mediums, called "Oil Expert".

[IMG]

It's a new - 3 option medium in which helps smooth the heavy body of oils, speed drying time drastically (under 24 hours for 80% cure) and you can choose from matt, satin and gloss finishes. It has none of the regular speed drying products problems, such as crackle and matt finishes if used in the wrong dilution ratio.

I was honoured to help develop this product as a beta tester and feature my own figure on VMS global website as a result after testing.

Since myself on quite a few others use oils on their figures, it's a good tip for a quick drying product with added benefits.

Check out the complete review at the Michigan Toy Soldier Blog :

VMS OIL EXPERT ENHANCING MEDIUM REVIEW

A few more images from the review :

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

Any comments are welcome,
    best
    Julian
    Blind Pew, grasshopper and Gary_81 like this.
  2. Gary_81 Active Member

United-Kingdom
    Great review and those do look like a useful product. They would be good for getting a matte finish when using oils for weathering.

Gary
    CondeJulian likes this.
  3. Kimmo A Fixture

This product doesn't do much me for me as an acrylics guy, but I have been tempted to test out some of the other VMS products. Some rather interesting stuff in their range.

Kimmo
  4. grasshopper A Fixture

Canada
    I like the VMS flexy CA glues, and also use their retarder with acrylics, and these oil materials as well...Julian is right: the stuff is useful...better than dorlands etc or similar products from abteilung
    CondeJulian likes this.
  5. yellowcat A Fixture

Canada
    What are the ingredients for these mediums?
  6. grasshopper A Fixture

Canada
    https://www.vms-supplies.com/
    ask Chris Obarski at VMS..he’s very approachable...I think it’s got cobalt..but then only going by colour and smell..the bottle don’t list ingredients...
  7. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Julian

Thanks for sharing this , looks a useful product for the Oil painters

Well written review as well

Nap
    CondeJulian likes this.
  8. TERRYSOMME1916 A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Very useful review and as an oil painter I will certainly give these a try, I currently use a abteilung matting agent but it can effect the characteristics of the paint and can change the colour once the paint has dried, for instance dark red shadow on a cloak going a crappy brown colour.
    TERRY
  9. dmcHobbes Active Member

United-States
    Julian

Thank you for the review. I intend to give it a try as soon as possible ( just ordered). Dorlands has been my go to for matt oil finish for years with mixed results as I rarely seem to get the right ratio. Might try the satin finish also for painting flesh.

Doug
  10. CondeJulian Well-Known Member

Brazil

Doug,

As mentioned in the article, the Satin one keeps the natural oil sheen, I found it ideal for skin tones, leather, wood. It's a very subtle if any extra "satin" than base oil characteristics.

Best
    Julian
  11. yellowcat A Fixture

Canada

No reply from VMS. I will stay away from any medium mix with cobalt drier.
  12. grasshopper A Fixture

Canada
    Give him a chance to reply...I can’t say it’s got cobalt, only that it might..I’ve only used in tests and never add more than tiny amounts of any additive as with oils especially the paint film gets weaker...I prefer thin layers...your way, that of kagamusha.