1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP Vive L’Empereur Col Burthe 4th Hussars.

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Cannonball, Oct 5, 2020.

1. Cannonball A Fixture

I’ve recently started this latest release from Gordon Mitchell and Tommi depicting Colonel Burthe of the 4th Hussars during the French cavalry charge at the Battle of Friedland. It’s a great release by Gordon and very imposing. I love these mounted bust pieces and would wholeheartedly support any similar releases in the future. I’ve made a start on the horse and tried to remain faithful to the Detaille painting on which the figure is based. I’ve still got some detailing to do on the harnessing and the gold lace on the saddlecloth is just at the base coat stage at present but I’m happy with how it’s coming along. As for Burthe I’ve finished the red of the pelisse and again base coated the gold braid. My references show the pelisse fur for officers of this regiment as a brown. I’ve started on the shako and tried to get across the difference between the leather of the peak and rear flap to the body of the shako. I don’t know if anyone can advise but there seems to be a border to the lacework on the pelisse but don’t know if this is as described or a part of the moulding process. As Colonel would he have had a lace border to the lacework on the front of the pelisse?
    Thanks for looking,

Neal 583F568A-8FA7-411F-8B5F-70B81650CCD3.jpeg FB1FACF4-CB32-40B9-86E6-564A7107EE2F.jpeg 65C369F6-16FA-4203-883F-18C5E9E087C2.jpeg 22C63800-3B42-4BBE-86E0-D1D4D716D228.jpeg 905CACFD-A512-46E1-8473-C2C08D276500.jpeg F30E1356-F722-4E06-9F3A-7E1CF1F26F6D.jpeg
    malc, Perseas, Redcap and 16 others like this.
  2. Viking Bob PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Wow Neal, that's some impressive painting so far. Great looking bust too. Following with a lot of interest.
    Cannonball likes this.
  3. ometz Well-Known Member

United-States
    Really great start on this beauty of a figure
    Cannonball likes this.
  4. khollar A Fixture

United-States
    Great start, Neal! This is one impressive chunk of resin, isn’t it?

Kurt
    Cannonball likes this.
  5. Cannonball A Fixture

Thanks as always Bob. Really enjoying this.

Neal
  6. Cannonball A Fixture

Many thanks ometz.

Neal
  7. Cannonball A Fixture

Really appreciated Kurt. It’s certainly a hefty piece and hopefully Gordon will consider some more releases along a similar theme. Can see you having some fun with this one.

Neal
  8. khollar A Fixture

United-States
    You are absolutely right, Neal. I have my copy sitting on the desk in front of me right now. I need to finish a couple of other projects before I tackle it those. Seeing your progress with it is definitely enticing though.

I’ll look forward to seeing your continuing work on this one.

Kurt
    Cannonball likes this.
  9. Cannonball A Fixture

Look forward to you getting started on it Kurt.

Neal
  10. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Neal

Thought we might see this on your bench

A fine start and certainly an imposing piece

Love the way the horse is looking really nice whites

Like all following with interest

Happy benchtime

Nap

Enter in October's FOTM here:

https://www.planetfigure.com/thread...s-fotm-ending-midnight-bst-31-10-2020.277760/

Vote in our VIGNETTES & DIORAMA comp ending 31/10/20 go to here:

https://www.planetfigure.com/thread...-diorama-ending-midnight-bst-31-10-20.250127/

Enter in our VIGNETTES & DIORAMA comp ending 01/03/21 go to here:

https://www.planetfigure.com/thread...ama-comp-ending-midnight-bst-01-03-21.277763/
    Cannonball likes this.
  11. misfit151 A Fixture

Great start Neal....keep posting...(y). Mike
    Cannonball and Nap like this.
  12. Nap Moderator

England
    Neal

This might help ref pelise

image.jpeg image.jpeg

This is Colonel Marbots uniform from Musee d'Armee

image.jpeg image.jpeg

Colonel 5th Hussars

image.jpeg

Nap
    NeilW and Cannonball like this.
  13. NeilW A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    If you mean along each side of the chest lace then, yes there is likely to be extra 'fiddly-bits' between the loops (as per Nap's pics). Nap senior officers would add bling wherever that could (Burthe also pimped his horse ;) ).

Better Musee d'Armee refs of Marbot's here: https://ageofrevolution.org/200-object/french-officers-uniform-col-marbots-uniform/
    (you can zoom in as below)
    Lace1.JPG Lace2.JPG

Note that both he and Col 5th also had 'extras' on his shoulders.

Useful ref for his shoulder belt:
    Lace3.JPG

Re the shako: weren't they a leather body but covered in cloth (black for the 4th)

Neil
    Martin64, Cannonball and Nap like this.
  14. Tonton Well-Known Member

United-Kingdom
    This is a lovely figure and you’re making an enviable job of it, Neal. A couple of points – constructive, I hope. The cadenettes were often weighted at their ends with a musket ball (in the belief that they’d provide more resistance to a slash to the throat area), so may not have blown back quite as depicted in the model. From observation, it’s unusual for a moustache – and beards/sideburns – to be the same colour as head-hair. It’s usually darker or containing a large amount of darker hair. Little details, I know, but adding to authenticity.

Jeff
    Cannonball and NeilW like this.
  15. NeilW A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Good points about variations in hair colouring (and I'm a natural blond o_O )

I also understand that they sometimes inserted wooden rods inside the cadenettes, again to act as protection.

Friedland was 1807 so they're still OK for the period (and shown in the painting), but later there were edicts/regs demanding short cropped hair (no more queues or cadenettes)... not that it was fully enforced or observed (especially by the flamboyant cavalry elite).

Just noticed a nice quote ref hussars on that page with Marbot's uniform:hussars were ‘the eyes, ears and egos of the army’.
    Nap, Cannonball and Tonton like this.
  16. Cannonball A Fixture

Thanks Nap. Really enjoying tackling this and the reference material is really useful.

Neal
    Nap likes this.
  17. Cannonball A Fixture

Cheers Mike.

Neal
  18. Cannonball A Fixture

Thanks for the reference material Neil, it’s a great help. If you zoom in on one of the pics of the rider you can just see there is a lip running vertically up the length of the braiding. I assumed it might be some braid edging but wasn’t sure.

Neal
    Nap and NeilW like this.
  19. Cannonball A Fixture

Hi Jeff. Thanks for the info. The hair/moustache is just in an undercoat colour on these pictures, I need to finish them in the oils so will apply some shading/highlighting to hopefully add a bit of distinction/definition.

Neal
    NeilW and Tonton like this.
  20. NeilW A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Ah yes... I see what you mean now..... that it's less distinct on the other side suggests it's an error?
    Lace5.JPG Lace6.JPG

You can see the 'fiddly-bits' (a bit indistinct) but also a raised edge... almost like a lancer's plastron.

Don't know what it's supposed to represent, looks more like something to do with the way it was modelled to me?

AFTERTHOUGHT: I reckon that the lacing was modelled flat and then applied to the torso with one side being better smoothed out than the other.
    aknific, KenBoyle, Nap and 1 other person like this.