1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Viking

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Patrick Kirk, Jul 11, 2004.

1. Patrick Kirk New Member

Here are some inprogress pics of a bust I am working on...I'll need to put the highest highlights on the face, and finish the neck, and tighten up the pupils a bit but wanted to pass them along nonetheless...This is a Verlinden bust sculpted by the late Derrick Holmes.
    The face has incredible character!

Attached Files:

2. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    Beautiful Patrick...........those eyes are life-like..........keep us posted
  3. Patrick Kirk New Member

And one more...the helmet is not attached, it's sorta just plopped on there ;)
    Looking forward to your comments...

Attached Files:

4. Patrick Kirk New Member

Thanks Guy really appreciate your encouragement...
    I need to round out the pupils a lil and add some depth to the eyes, too...gotta let 'em dry...

All the best

Patrick
  5. Grizzly Member

Great jo on the eyes Patrick, can't wait to see this one all done;have had my eye on this one myself but at the scale don't think i could do it justice myself,yet!!

Thomas
  6. Roc Active Member

United-States
    Hey Patrick, way to go ,the face is superb,I particularly like the way you did the eyes,very life like. (y) (y)

keep the good work, looking forward to your next step.

Roc.
  7. Jason W. Active Member

United-States
    Looks GREAT Patrick!
  8. Stephan Well-Known Member

Germany
  9. Patrick Kirk New Member

Thanks a lot guys...really appreciate your kind words. I still have to round out the iris of the eye and tinker with them a lil bit more. But I agree, eyes really make a bust of this size.

Thomas,
    It's a great bust and it lends itself real well to conversion. I am still toying with mine...not sure if I will use the broad sword that comes with the kit, or if I will try something a little more unique...an excellent bust, though. Derrick Holmes did a wonderful job on the sculpting, only hope that I do it justice.

All the best gentlemen.

Patrick
  10. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Patrick, Very nice job, your painting gets better and better with each project.~Gary
  11. Patrick Kirk New Member

Thanks Gary...trying to improve with each figger I do...not sure I am, but am having a lot of fun! :lol:

All the best, my friend

Patrick
  12. Pete_H New Member

You're definitely doing the bust justice, amigo (y) By any chance, was the scar sculpted in or did you add that yourself? That alone adds a lot of character to the piece. Also, what's your fleshtone mix?

Cheers!
  13. Anders Heintz Well-Known Member

United-States
    Hey Patrick!

That is excellent! The eyes and the skin tones look superb. I am sure it will look even better once the hi highlights are applied.
  14. Patrick Kirk New Member

Petey,
    Thanks my friend, means a lot!
    The large scar is sulpted in the cheekbone; the smaller one near the right eye I painted in. I used a lil of rose red, and earth red mixed with burnt umber to get the scar tone. It's close to a violet, but not that deep (does that make sense?)

The flesh tone I used is oils over acrylics. I undercoated with Vallejo sunny skin tone with a lil yellow ochre. The oil base is:

Mars Brown + Cadium Red + Cad Yellow Med + Zinc White. To the base I added a little flesh ochre (got this tip from Lou; what a GOD!).

For the shadows, I added to the base:

Cad Red + Mars Brown; for the deepest creases, I added to the shadow mix a lil Burnt Umber.

For the highlights I added to the base:

Juanne Brilliant + Zinc White; for the highest highlights, I am looking to use titanium white to bring out the "hot spots" on the face.

Does that help Petey?

Anders,
    Thanks, I'll have the highest highlights in the week, and post the updated pic this weekend.

Hope all is well my friends...take care
    All the best

Patrick
  15. KeithP Active Member

United-States
    No critiques. Nice overall job on the eyes btw.

Keith
  16. Patrick Kirk New Member

Thanks Keith...really appreciate it. I am going to tighten up the iris' and repost new pics...thanks!

Hope all is well

Patrick
  17. slaj Well-Known Member

Malta
    Patrick , nice stuff.I like the flesh tone.Not to mention the eyes.Well odne buddy

Stephen Mallia
  18. Patrick Kirk New Member

Thanks a lot Stephen. I tinkered with the lips last night, and etched in some teeth...not sure if I like it, but adds a little something different to the face. Really appreciate your comments my friend. Hope all is well. ;)

Take care

Patrick
  19. Larry R New Member

Well Patty my boy, I see your getting very good at eye decals! Ooops sorry just kidding! LOL!!
  20. Mongo Mel Active Member

United-States
    Hi Patrick,
    Great looking job on the bust. Especially the eyes. Think it'll be done in time for the D.C. show? I hope to see it there.
    Keep the pictures coming.
    Craig