1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Viking Warrior

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Guy, Jul 25, 2006.

1. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    Here is another figure in the works for a collector who loves Vikings. The 90mm kit is from Miniature Alliance and is loaded with detail.

I have already completed the bulk of the figure with the arms and weapons left to go. The groundwork will also be done in the near future. Right now the Viking is in two sections. Upper body and lower body and are together for these photos.

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

Now the beard will be dry-brushed to achieve a blonde Viking

[IMG]

And now he's blonde

[IMG]

All comments welcomed
  2. Ernest A Fixture

Venezuela
    Hello Guy your viking looks very good so far, I like the expresion of the face, looking forward to see more..
    cheers
    ER
  3. Sambaman Well-Known Member

United-States
    Looking good Guy! I can't wait to see him up close!

Jay H.
    OKC
  4. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    Thanks for the feedback Jay and Ernest.
  5. Christos Well-Known Member

Greece
    Looking good so far.great fleshtones!
    best regards
    christos
  6. Kisifer Well-Known Member

Greece
    That's neatly done so far Guy, I'm sure the collector will be happy enough at the end :)

Xenofon
  7. SPrimeau Active Member

United-States
    I like it so far Guy, really neat figure and posing, look forward to seeing it completed.
    Scott
  8. Normo Active Member

United-Kingdom
    Great work Guy, love the metals what did you use? I always have problems with metals do you spray or paint 'em?
    Look forward to the finished article
    Cheers

John(Normo)
  9. periklis_sale Member

Greece
    Great work mate!!!!

Always at the highest standards!!!
  10. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    Thanks for the kind words guys.

John ~ I use enamels for my metals (Floquil) and after painting the metals "Gunmetal" color I give it a black wash followed by an "Old Silver" dry-brushing.
  11. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    A little more progress with the viking. The eyes have been cut in and the face armor has been painted black on the backside and readied for epoxying on.

[IMG]

[IMG]

I decided to add additional highlights to the pants as well as the leggings.

[IMG]

[IMG]

I swung over and began to give the shield a black wash over an acrylic tan color which will make the wood grain stand out more. I stopped midway in the wash step to take a pic to show you the difference.

[IMG]

[IMG]

I actually have 2 Vikings on-going at the same time.

The face guard ( I always hated to cover the face up.....but it has to have a face guard.

[IMG]

[IMG]

All comments welcomed.
  12. Alex Lopez Well-Known Member

Mexico
    Hello Guy, your Vikig looks GOOD, I like the face tones specially.
    I´ll waiting the rest...

Alex.
  13. michelange Member

France
    Very good work Guy, I wait the end of your painting to see a very beautiful viking ;)
  14. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    Thanks Bruno & Alex for the kind words. I am getting ready to do the groundwork tonight as all the weapons are done awaiting the finished groundwork. I'll epoxy weld them on after completing the groundwork.

Attached Files:

15. darkeye Member

United-Kingdom
    :eek: wow, looking good mate!

what type of paints do you favour? or do you like to mix your mediums?

regards-- timo
  16. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    Thanks Timothy,

I have used Floquil Military Modeling paint (now discontinued) as well as Floquil Model Railroading enamels for over 25 years. I use 6 tube oils colors for all flesh and then sometimes acrylic paint for small detail areas and groundwork. Kind of a mix but mostly Floquil enamels. With Floquil you have several hours that you can blend wet colors before setting up. After blending I usually wait at least 12 hours before working on top of a blend. It works for me I guess. You be the judge........here's a link to my gallery.

My Gallery - click here

Hope this helps,
    Guy
  17. Uruk-Hai PlanetFigure Supporter

Sweden
    Well, who doesnt love vikings?

Nice going there Guy, I really like the look of the leggings and the shield. As well as hair and beard.

Thought the almost black shadows of the cape looks a little bit harsch. Perhaps toning them down to a more redbrown look?

Cheers
  18. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Really good work Guy. I like the dyed colors.
    great work.

marc
  19. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    Thanks for the feedback Marc and Janne.

Janne ~ The cape is a little darker than I would normally do but the collector who ordered the Viking likes the dark / stark contrast it gives. Gotta please the collector don't we?
  20. Uruk-Hai PlanetFigure Supporter

Sweden
    Yeah, money has its own kind of argumentation, hasnt it? :lol:

Cheers