1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Viking (not a trench raider!)

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Andrew Belsey, Jul 10, 2021.

1. Andrew Belsey A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    DSCN2469 (2).JPG

DSCN1934.JPG DSCN1935.JPG DSCN2002.JPG DSCN2333.JPG DSCN2444 (2).JPG DSCN2448 (2).JPG DSCN2449 (2).JPG DSCN2450 (2).JPG

I'm having a break from trench warfare after completing my book and have been working on one of the figures from my stash. This is a Seil Models Viking in 54mm.

I managed to find a second hand Celtic cross on Ebay that wasn't too expensive. The figure is looking to the heavens and in a crucifix pose, so I thought of putting a cross behind him. The moulding was riddled with air bubbles so took quite a while to fix but the end result is worth the effort.

I carved a rocky edge into polyurethane for my base, which will eventually be covered by grass.
    I've been painting the figure for several weeks now and nearly there. I am presently working on his fur cloak and have his sword and dagger/purse to paint still. It's nice to get the urge for painting back which I had lost. Having listened to Mike the Kiwi's videos, I have learnt a few tips which have really helped and inspired. I will never be as good as Mike but I'm enjoying figure painting once more and am happy with that.

Seil's artwork which I am virtually copying.
    DSCN1934.JPG
    My Celtic cross. found on Ebay. I added the base plinth and after repairing all the air bubbles I did a mixture of spray painting and hand painting to achieve the stony look.
    DSCN1935.JPG
    My rocky base edge carved into polyurethane.
    DSCN2002.JPG
    Paper template made to mark out my shield art.
    DSCN2333.JPG
    Almost there but not quite. i burnished all his metal work and added a dark brown wash.

DSCN2444 (2).JPG DSCN2448 (2).JPG DSCN2449 (2).JPG DSCN2450 (2).JPG
    Just dry fitted on his base.
    Andy
    Edward, oldtrousers, Jeff T and 22 others like this.
  2. DaddyO A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Lovin' it so far Andy (y)

(I saw this figure came up on FleaBay recently, but missed the finish of it)

Cheers
    Paul
    Andrew Belsey likes this.
  3. clrsgt A Fixture

United-States
    Love it so far. The cross is a great idea. Really makes the figure pose work.
    Andrew Belsey and sd0324 like this.
  4. Tommy Atkins Well-Known Member

United-Kingdom
    Very nice work Andy and I like the symbolism of Christianity versus paganism in the piece. Regards Pete.
    Andrew Belsey and Babelfish like this.
  5. Viking Bob PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Superb painting, and liking the base work. Nice idea with the template for the shield.
  6. Andrew Belsey A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Yes, I think that this guy thinks that the Christian God is pretty pathetic, after slaughtering a few monks. Eventually they did become Christians themselves, but for political reasons. As a Christian myself, I wanted him crying out to Jehovah rather than Thor. Aggression was eventually won over. (I know plenty have used Christianity for aggression, but they weren’t following Jesus’ teachings.)
    Andy
    Scotty likes this.
  7. Babelfish A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Lovely work Andy on one of the better figures in the Seil range. The Celtic cross is a fantastic addition that really sets the scene.

I have this guy myself in the twin boxing along with the other Seil Viking and the resin groundwork. It's languished in the stash since the Seil range was still readily available, so I reckon it's well overdue having some paint slung its way. I've bookmarked this as inspiration!

- Steve
    Andrew Belsey and DioramaArt like this.
  8. Tom W. Well-Known Member

Germany
    You can do not only trenches...............(y)
  9. Andrew Belsey A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Well. I've painted his last weapons and tinkered with his cloak fur. I painted his boots and think that he's finished? So back to the base. I added some grass made from old carpet underlay. I give it a wash of green after laying it. I'm now adding some plants and I've made some discarded Bibles - he only wants the jewel encrusted covers, which I will make next. This Viking has no interest in the Christian God obviously, He's wearing a Thor hammer necklace. He reckons Thor is more powerful than Jehovah after killing a few priests and grabbing their gold!

You will find how I laid the grass, made the books and plants in my book - Modelling WW1 Trench Warfare (Which also promotes this forum.)
    Nearly there!
    Andy

DSCN2452.JPG DSCN2454.JPG DSCN2455.JPG DSCN2456.JPG DSCN2457.JPG DSCN2460.JPG
    sd0324, Martin64, Oda and 2 others like this.
  10. Andrew Belsey A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    I've added some poppies, tall grasses and a little blood to one of the Bibles. I'm now working on his hoard of gold.
    DSCN2469.JPG
    This Bible was gained with a struggle. He will have the jewel encrusted covers by his feet and he has tossed away the unwanted books.
    DSCN2466.JPG DSCN2464.JPG
    This is one of the Bible covers. The silicone dots will be painted as jewels.
    DSCN2461.JPG
    This is his hoard that I am now painting.
    DSCN2462.JPG
    I'm calling this guy Harald, after Harald Klak, the first Viking convert to Christianity. After him it all got a bit nasty with 'forced' conversions! (Not following Jesus' teaching!!)
    Andy
    ometz and Mike - The Kiwi like this.
  11. Andrew Belsey A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Harald is completed, having painted his hoard. He's tossed away the Gospels/Bibles and kept their covers but this guy is questioning what he's just done? Love did win over aggression eventually.
    It's good to be enjoying painting again - which I haven't for a while!
    Andy

image4 (9).jpg image5 (5).jpg image0 (36).jpg image1 (35).jpg image3 (18).jpg image5 (6).jpg image4 (10).jpg image5 (5).jpg
    oldtrousers, Jeff T, sd0324 and 4 others like this.
  12. Peter Day PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Incredible work Andy. Superb modelling as usual, and first class paintwork. Couldn't be any better.
  13. Scott Sheltz Well-Known Member

United-States
    Outstanding work! All the extra details tie the scene together even more
  14. blaster A Fixture

United-States
    Excellent piece with a great back story!
  15. Babelfish A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Brilliant end result. Love it.

- Steve
  16. Mike - The Kiwi A Fixture

New_Zealand
    Nice work Andy mate & so good to see you finish a new project.
    This one is such a nice little piece with lots of drama, plus telling a tale that means much to you too.
    Thanks for sharing all the details.
    MikeTheKiwi
  17. santi fernandez Well-Known Member

Spain
    I really like the result of the scene, good job.
    Santi.