1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Viking Bust

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Anders Heintz, Sep 6, 2004.

1. Anders Heintz Well-Known Member

United-States
    Hey Guys!

After comming back from MasterCon today with some new stuff to add to the 'eventually to do list' I decided to start with MIG's beautiful Viking Bust. I have only seen this on pictures before and never really paid attention to it, but while at the VLS warehouse I saw these again and the whole series of busts are so beautiful, but I decided to do the viking as after all I am Swedish!

Anyways, after trying to paint that $#%@#$& S&T confed bust 3 times I gave up, and I had to do something different. I tried a new mix with this one, a little more complicated one then I usually use but I think it will be worth messing with.

Base: 955 + 908 + 929 + 845 + tiny drops of Andrea Preussian Blue and 859.

Highlights: Base + 845 until tone reached and then hi highlights with 837 until reached

Shadows are Base + more 908 and 859 Dark shadows are shadow mix + 984 + Black

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]
  2. michelange Member

France
    Effectively, you put colors much more marked than me. I thought that it was necessary to have a smoother aspect, more differentiating. I look and I learn. ;)
    Bruno
  3. olly_usafsoc New Member

:eek: Anders, this must be your best skin tones i have seen ! stick with it.... excellent blending and transitions... "By jobe you've cracked it!".... simply briliant! :)
  4. jitch0t Member

Spain
    Hey Anders! That's a really good looking face! Just paint the eyebrows and i'll be waiting him to move his mouth and blink his eyes!

And great exhibition of pictures! Those are really close close-ups! That's the way I love to see the figs, thanks.

Regards
  5. y_wong New Member

Dear Anders,

Yes the painting is good. Looking forward to more from you.

regards
  6. Uruk-Hai PlanetFigure Supporter

Sweden
    I like the eyes.................

Greethings from the ol´Country....... ;)
  7. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    He's looking good Anders
  8. johnnyboy New Member

hi anders lookin good man i have to try a bust sometime,you and craig have me really wantin to do one nay way keep up the great work and thanks for sharing johnnyboy
  9. Roc Active Member

United-States
    Hey Anders, the face looks great, those eyes are spot on.

Keep up the good work.

Cheers,
    Roc. :)
  10. frank h Well-Known Member

England
    Hi Anders,
    Love the skin tone, the eye detail is terrific
    Look forward to seeing more progress pics

Frank (y) (y)
  11. rdclaeps New Member

Anders, your transitions from shadows and highlights with the fleshtones are excellent. On a large-scale piece, achieving this effect with watercolors is no small feat :). Excellent brush skills on those eyes, I might add. Keep up the great work and I look forward to seeing this come along. Roger
  12. slaj Well-Known Member

Malta
    There's not much more I can add Anders.Coming along beautifully

Stephen Mallia
  13. Anders Heintz Well-Known Member

United-States
    Thanks Guys!

I am very glad to have painted a decent face after all the mishaps with the S&T bust, sometimes it just don't work out and other times it works out good, but it kind of deteriorates you when you try to paint something several times and it just don't come out like you want it to.

Will post more pictures as they become available. Thanks again guys, I really appreciate your comments!
  14. Brad S Member

Anders,

Ditto on above comments. The flesh looks awesome man. Its too bad on the confederate bust. I was looking forward to that one. Hope to have a finished for your excellent comments soon.

Brad Spelts
  15. Anders Heintz Well-Known Member

United-States
    Thanks Brad!

I will try to paint the rebel up again soon, I just have to step away from it as I am developing some very harsh feelings about that bust! I think I will chop the head off and replace it with another one, I just can't get that face to look good, but I will try a couple more times before surgery. Besides, it is a commission piece so I have to get it done!
  16. Brad S Member

That was quick Anders. I'm sure you will get it. If you chop the head off, would you use a aftermarket head, or one you scupt yourself? Commission? Cool. I always thought I would like to do some commision work, but I know I am not good enough yet. Someday.

Keep up the great work.

Brad Spelts
  17. homellop Active Member

Spain
    Hi Anders.
    How long did take you to paint this face?...10 minuts?
    Man,outstanding work!
    May be I'd like to have this one...mmmh... :lol:
    Keep it up
    jaume
  18. rej Well-Known Member

Malta
    Anders,

Fantastic painting my friend from ALL angles and ALL aspects......... love it :)

DO have another go at the other spoilt bust while you're riding on a high TIDAL wave...........these things all happen to us one time or another, just look at the Zapite's eyes in the 1st photo, which was the 100th attempt and not the 1st...........the 2nd photo shows the 101st or the 102nd attempt and not the 2nd really

Can I suggest something? Try to add a very diluted wash of Prussian Blue(A) in the eye bag area to depict a weary campaigning soldier............it will also add more life to the face..........beware when you retouch the lights as they can appear greenish if you add the highest highlights.........to avoid this, pick them up with Dark Flesh(A) first and then apply the highest tone again...........the Dark Flesh would kill the Blue, as there's no apparent "yellowish" tint in it, hence if you apply the highest lights, the "yellowish" tint would turn green.........YES even if you "think" that IT IS DRY........it happened to me my friend, so I've been bitten, that's why I'm warning you :angry:

You're a great painter, so keep it up ;)

Best Regards,

Ray.
  19. Anders Heintz Well-Known Member

United-States
    Thanks guys!

Brad,

No I would use another Rosengrant head form the Warriors line, I can't sculpt that good!

Jaume and Ray,

Thanks guys, you two are people whos work gives me inspiration and motivation to try harder and to try to acheive the level of stuff you boys put out!

It took about little over hour to paint this one, probbaly close to an hour and a half. I like it when it flows, and when I have hickups like the S&T bust I need some time to re group!

Thanks again guys! Will keep you posted!
  20. jaime Member

Spain
    Anders, skin tones are perfect. But how do you paint the eyes? A SBS is welcome

Jaime