1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Completed Viking bust by Yury**new pictures**

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Meehan34, Apr 24, 2010.

1. Meehan34 A Fixture

United-States
    Here is the latest bust I have finished. This is the incredible sculpt by Yury that you have to get, Tommi recently painted it and inspired me to paint it also. trust me you will not be dissapointed. i chose purple for his cloth to represent the Vikings in Ireland who used a lot of purple dye. I am working on a name plate for him that will read "Angry Steve" to represent a friend of mine who helped me through painting him. I apologize for the pictures but they are my usual. As always please post any comments positive or negative. Steve Scott and Guy have done a really good job of creating a thick leathery skin on me so you wont hurt my feelers.

Let's try this again. I tried to take better pics, let me know what ya think.

angry1.JPG

angry2.JPG

angry3.JPG

angry4.JPG
  2. Major_Goose Well-Known Member

Greece
    Mike from what shows through the pictures , thats a nice neat paintjob you have done there, but , the hyperlighted pictures do not let us see your true labor. Maybe you could shoot again with less lights , or with no additionallight that kills your contrast .

Best regards

Costas
  3. housecarl A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Mike from what I can see this looks a sterling job. Great job on the various elements, metals, fur, and flesh.
    Carl.
  4. Sambaman Well-Known Member

United-States
    Mike, I have to agree with Costas, the pictures I think are washing him out and not letting us see enough variation. For me, right now, he looks as if he is all one "tone". Silver helmet, silver chain mail, gray hair, gray cloak....etc. all grays. Your flesh tones and eyes, man..... spot-on! I just don't think your pics are doing this piece any justice.

Jay H.
  5. Meehan34 A Fixture

United-States
    thanks for the heads up on the pics, beleive it or not I thought they were kinda good for me but crappy for most. I replaced the old ones with some that I think are better. I hope these will help to better critique the bust.
  6. housecarl A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Mike, with my experiences of dire photographs. I think you can rest assured, that the actual bust is 100 times better in the flesh.
    Great job,
    Carl.
  7. Sambaman Well-Known Member

United-States
    Mike, much better images! I knew there was some great stuff lurking under those flat pics! Well done. Like I said the flesh tones and the eyes are some of your best to date. Metalics look quite good over all. I can't believe I'm saying this, but I see a couple spots where I would tone down the contrasts. The exposed hide on the back of the cloak looks like the highlights and shadows could use some smoother transitions. I like the color chosen for the cloak, it looks in th pics like it lacks a little in the midtones. Could be the pics though. Keep up the good work. Are you gonna be able to put the clubs down long enough this summer to paint any more? LOL!

Jay H.
  8. 1969 A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Damn good job of those eyes Mike they look spot on for me and i also like the effect of the metalics on his helmet. You are definetely inpoving with your painting and i think you will get better with everyone you do, you are in the right direction now.

Steve(y)
  9. kansas kid Well-Known Member

United-States
    Very nice job on this one, Mike. Like the others I like your colour harmony
    with the way you have used grey and the metalic surfaces to reflect that
    purple or as I see it in the photos, Blue-violet in your 'clothing' (? not the
    best word here, but can't find it. and those durn burned hedge clipping
    are calling me to get at 'em) I really love that gnarled block of wood.
    Gnarled is spelled with a "g". . . Oh gee.

But all kiddin' aside, a very impressive painting of a really impressive bust.

OhMa'Gosh? You play cow pasture pool??? Now that's getting back to nature,
    especially if you get in the rough. . . Old. . er' YOUNG rough and ready???

rb
  10. pmfs A Fixture

Portugal
    Very well painted Mike.(y)
  11. flart1943 Active Member

England
    Hi Mike
    The photos are much better and show up an expertly painted bust, well done.
    Pete
  12. Meehan34 A Fixture

United-States
    Thanks gents i appreciate the kind words. Jay; Kinda funny how I thought I wouldn't be painting over the summer that much. I did get to play Friday and fire a 78 at the boys and scoop up their money :) You're email you sent a couple months ago did help me tremendously and I wanted to thank you for taking the time to send it. I'm glad the Gnarled base wasn't over kill because I wouldn't have changed it anyway ;)

Thanks again guys for taking the time to comment on my painting.

Mike
  13. rheath Active Member

South-Africa
    I like it ee too much Mike - super rendition and In flesh always much better.:eek:
  14. mil-mart A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Mike great painting and excellent choice of base.(y)

Cheers Ken
  15. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Excellent paintwork. So you let the visor off. Good choice.
    At least we have four options. And it is indeed some incredible sculptwork.

Marc
  16. davidmitchell A Fixture

Scotland
    Nice work Mike on this superb bust.

Cheers David
  17. unknown01 New Member

Japan
    Excellent work Mike!
    A facial expression is very beautiful and wonderful.
    The base is also effective.
    I liked it very much.
    I congratulate completion.

Mitsutaka
  18. mao A Fixture

Italy
    Very nice job on this one, Mike....and beautiful pedestal
  19. Meehan34 A Fixture

United-States
    Thank you so much fellas for the encouraging words about the painting and the base. Leaving the visor off was a very tough call; as the sculptor (Yury) originally sculpted it to include the visor, so I felt a little bad not building it as he intended. I just couldn't stand to cover the best painted face I have done so far with it. Thank you again for taking the time to comment on him.
  20. Ron Tamburrini A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    That is a cracking paint job Mike, dont see any problems with the pics

Nice one (y)(y)