1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Viking Berserker

Discussion in 'Brutal Honesty - Critique Center' started by Rompy, Mar 8, 2015.

1. Rompy Well-Known Member

Singapore
    Hi pF,

Completed this bust and would like to seek your comments and critique. As always, all feedback are appreciated :)

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]
  2. sam b Well-Known Member

United-Kingdom
    I can't fault it
    Rompy likes this.
  3. sd0324 PlanetFigure Supporter

Well done! I favor the face and really like the shield.

Steve Deyo
    Rompy likes this.
  4. Babelfish A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Not sure if the eyes might not be just a little too blue and piercing (I find myself immediately drawn to them and focussing on them), but other than that the whole thing is superb.

The shield is the stand-out part of the paint for me, and I also like the scratches on the arm. Blood effects are much easier to overdo than to get right, but those look spot on. The tattoo is a nice (and very well done) addition that adds interest to the bare arms.

- Steve
    JasonB and Rompy like this.
  5. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Excellent.

marc
    Rompy likes this.
  6. Joe55 A Fixture

United-States
    Rompy, I think you outdid yourself (y)!!

Joe
    Rompy likes this.
  7. Wayneb A Fixture

United-States
    You know.......I've have looked at this for a long time and questioned the eyes and the color of the bears fur.But everthing flows together and I like that.In fact your paint job makes this at the top of the list for me to give it a go......Excellent creativity with the paint.......Regards......Wayne....(y)
    Another thing I noticed on the sculpt is the band around the left arm....If he were to flex ;something has got to give......such a picky bunch..sorry......still a great piece of painting(y)
    Rompy likes this.
  8. Rompy Well-Known Member

Singapore
    Thanks all :)

I did struggle over the color of the eyes initially :p But tried to adopt this. (Great series, Vikings, if you have not seen it :) )

[IMG]
    Babelfish and pgarri27 like this.
  9. Wayneb A Fixture

United-States
    Nailed it in your own way.........Wayne
    Rompy likes this.
  10. pgarri27 Well-Known Member

United-States
    IMG_20150308_150835.jpg

I like it very much. I would have made deeper-darker shadows to enhance the contrast, but that's me. Using photo shop to deepen the shadows to give you an idea of what I mean.
    Nice painting. Beautiful work.
    Rompy likes this.
  11. Rompy Well-Known Member

Singapore

Thanks pgarri27 :)

Will look into incoporating this for future works :) tks !
  12. Steve Ski PlanetFigure Supporter

United-States
    Truly incredible blue Rompy. I've done given up on trying to emulate a perfect way to paint faces. I'm going back to my proven method of flesh tones, etc. Your flesh tones are so subtle in realism, perfect from what I'm seeing. Great work Buddy, once again! Time to get back to the bunker and get er done!

Cheers, Ski.

P.S. Being an oiler is proving to be a challenge, but I'll crack that egg, ya know it. There's more than one way to skin a bald cat.
    Rompy likes this.
  13. Helm A Fixture

England
    Only minor nit pick is the blue on the tattoo is a little too vivid but that's about it, if it wasn't in Brutal I wouldn't have mentioned it
    Steve
    Rompy likes this.
  14. Rompy Well-Known Member

Singapore
    Good Point Helm, i should glaze it with some flesh tone :)
  15. Mat Lambert A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    I agree the tattoo is a bit bright - but really like the way you have brought in the blue colour all over the figure. A very thoughtful paint job.
    Cheers
    Mat
    Rompy likes this.
  16. Tubby-Nuts2 A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Rompy, you have done a lovely job on this piece, lots of hues and shades to absorb.(y)

Regards,

Mark
    Rompy likes this.
  17. zane666 Well-Known Member

New_Zealand
    Nice work,love that shield, 2 thumbs up from me

regards Zane
    Rompy likes this.
  18. DEL A Fixture

Scotland
    A cracking paint job. That's us got a superb references to add to the box art and Brians versions.
    All completely different in style and all top class work.
    Lying on the bench at the moment, I'm going to start it at the end of the week (y)
    Cheers
    Derek
    Rompy likes this.
  19. Wayneb A Fixture

United-States
    Yea Derek,I think this piece allows for a few variations.....Can't say the same as with Andrea "Viking Fury" although I do like that piece.......Paint on and hopefully not paint off...............Regards....Wayne
    DEL and Rompy like this.
  20. Rompy Well-Known Member

Singapore
    Thanks guys, this is a great piece to work on.

Looking forward to seeing WIP pictures soon :)