1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP Vignette Mock-Up

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by JCOX, Jun 21, 2017.

1. JCOX Active Member

United-States
    Hello,

Here's a mock-up of an Star Wars stormtrooper vignette I have in mind. It depicts a trooper who has just been severely wounded and a medic trooper arriving to render aid. They're both 1/12 Bandai kits and the head is one I ordered off ebay. In addition to the back pack on the medic trooper, I was going to have a satchel of some sort next to him.

This is my first attempt at a vignette so I'd like some feedback from some of you who are more seasoned in this sort of thing. How's the format? Is it compact enough? Does the positioning of the figures work together well? Does it tell a compelling story? Anything I could do to add more interest/details/drama? I do plan to have them heavily weathered. What type of terrain would work best? All thoughts welcome.

Thanks in advance.

20170620_132637 (2).jpg 20170620_132653 (2).jpg 20170620_132713 (2).jpg 20170620_132806 (2).jpg
    Borek, stoffy01, gforceman and 6 others like this.
  2. Scotty A Fixture

Scotland
    I think you've made a great start here, won't their uniform dictate the groundwork to some extent? This is a scene we might see on any battlefield anywhere so it definitely works. The bare head is a cracker, where did that come from?
    All the best with this.
    Scotty.
    Wings5797 likes this.
  3. JasonB Moderator

United-States
    I like it a lot. I would consider a different helmet for the medic, to really show he's not a regular ole' Stormtrooper. Maybe one from the Speederbike guy would look more unique and medic like? It seems every arms of Imperial troopers have their own unique headgear. Just something different to set him apart. Just a thought.
    Pose is excellent, the bare head and damage to the wounded guy tells the story. Come up with an Imperial "red cross" symbol, or perhaps a simple red band on his arm or something to designate him a medic.
    Another option on the pose is to have the medic looking to his right and raising his arm, calling for additional help. This would imply a larger scene with more troopers "out o sight" off the base.
    Very cool!
    Scotty likes this.
  4. JCOX Active Member

United-States
    Hi Scotty,

Thanks for the input! This will be a fictitious SW stormtrooper scene. I will add a little color to both of them. The downed trooper will have a uniform similar to this:

MF_SS71803-star-wars-stormtrooper-commander-preview-800x800.jpg

The head actually started off as a wolverine 1/12 head I found on ebay.

s-l1600.jpg
  5. JCOX Active Member

United-States
    Thanks for the comments Jason! I do plan to differentiate the medic by painting obvious medical emblems on his uniform and equipment. I found this on-line as an imperial medic symbol:

ddfa886587328c2db6c2df242d36c862.jpg

I like your idea about the change in pose. I'll try it out!
  6. JasonB Moderator

United-States
    Very Cool. I thought this one would be nice was well. Its for Magpul gun parts, but without the word "Magpul", its a very Empire looking symbol, and somewhat "M" looking.

[IMG]
  7. Oda A Fixture

I think you've started this in a really good way.The compsition looks balanced and the elements really "talk" to eachother.When finished this is going to be full of drama.

Oda.
  8. peedee A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    If anyone wants to portray Star wars graphics......

The 'languages' of the planets and different cultures relating to the movie locations are available by googling say ...'Tattooine' and the language fonts are there.
    Scotty likes this.
  9. JCOX Active Member

United-States
    Wow! Good to know.
  10. peedee A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Borek and Scotty like this.
  11. Uruk-Hai PlanetFigure Supporter

Sweden
    Have we ever seen a Trooper care for a downed mate?

Cheers
    Janne Nilsson
  12. JasonB Moderator

United-States
    In the original movie, one Trooper is seen checking on another after the fight aboard Princess Leia's ship, just before Vader walks in. And of course in "The Force Awakens", Finn gets bloody fingerprints on his helmet from a downed fellow trooper. Not specifically caring for wounded, but along those lines. Not sure about the graphic novels, etc...
    Scotty and peedee like this.
  13. Borek A Fixture

Czech-Republic
    Very interesting project...

Cheers Borek
    peedee likes this.
  14. JCOX Active Member

United-States
    Can't imagine they don't. Like Jason said we have seen it in the movies (of course the movies don't spend a lot of time detailing the lives of the stormtroopers). The downed trooper will be a commander as well, so I'd think they'd want to fix him up right away. Anyways, just thought the scene would be interesting and I haven't seen it done before.
    Borek and Scotty like this.
  15. Uruk-Hai PlanetFigure Supporter

Sweden
    My mistake the, always pictured them as tools.

Cheers
    Janne Nilsson