1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Vietnam bust shaping up

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Anders Heintz, Mar 21, 2004.

1. Anders Heintz Well-Known Member

United-States
    Hola Guys!

Did some more painting tonight. I started the flak jacket, seen here almost finished. I fixed a few ugly spots since these pictures, but still need to do more to make it look 'right'. Will do the outlining next and see how that looks, and decide from there if I need more contrast or not. What you guys think?

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

And here is the start of the helmet. I had a heck of a time to get to color right, and I am still not sure if I got it or not. I want to show a faded worn cover. I think I must have mixed about 8-10 different colors to get this, I just kept adding different colors until I got what you see here. I am sure I can get the same mix now from less colors , atleast I hope so incase I need to touch it up!

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]
  2. frank h Well-Known Member

England
    Hi Anders
    The face looks terrific now the mouth and teeth are done.
    Can't help with the helmet, because its not a Roman one.
    I'm sure you will get it, and it will compliment the face.

Frank (y)
  3. LCoote New Member

Australia
  4. y_wong New Member

Hey Anders, it's coming out great. Keep it up.

regards
  5. Erikvb New Member

Great work on the face!!! looks very realistic!

keep it up!!!!! (y) (y) (y)
  6. Roc Active Member

United-States
    Hey Anders,

Looking good,I particularly like the face.

Keep up the good work.
    Roc. (y)
  7. jitch0t Member

Spain
    hola Anders! looks really great!

i need a mix for that particular tone of green 'cause i have a Verlinden bust of a grunt in Vietnam and i'm really desperate!
  8. Anders Heintz Well-Known Member

United-States
    Hey Guys!

Thanks for all the comments! It is amazing how much change the appearance of the color of the flesh experiences once the surroundings are painted.

Daniel,

The mix I used for the flak vest are:

Base: Vallejo (VA) 922 + VA 950 Black +Andrea 1 Feld Grau + Tad of Va 955 Flat Flesh.

Highlights: Base plus increasing amounts of VA 955 Flat Flesh

Shadows: Base + Black

Hope this helps :)
  9. Anders Heintz Well-Known Member

United-States
    Here is the camo painted on the helmet. As Im not very good at painitng camo, Im pretty pleased with how it turned out, although I wish I made it look more worn then it does. It was a lot of fun to paint though!

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

Attached Files:

10. Jason W. Active Member

United-States
    Looking great Anders!! Are you going to paint any graffiti on his helmet? Such as "war is hell", peace sign etc.
  11. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
  12. KingTiger New Member

Hey Anders, nice work on this piece.

The helmet camo cover came out great. All you need now is finish the rubber band, LSA bottle and cigs and matches, and you'll have a helmet that will top off a magnificent bust.

A tip on the flak jacket: You need to lighten or hightlight the color on the flak jacket. As someone who wore one I can honestly tell you that the flak jackets were a shade lighter than the regular combat uniform

Great work though,

KingTiger
  13. Pete_H New Member

Anders,
    DUUUUUUUUUUDE! Hey, those fleshtones are looking really good. As for the helmet, you've got the colors just about right. If I may, I'd recommend a lot more "foliage" over the base color (that pale green that you got perfectly right). I've got an authentic vintage "steel pot" helmet with camo cover on it sitting right here on my desk (next to my issued "K-Pot" with "chocolate chip camo cover" and Aussie slouch hat), and it shows absolutely no "stems" going through the "leaves." I've cross-referenced this camo cover online and in books and I cannot find a single helmet cover that has the "stems" going through the "leaves" on the cover.
    If you'd like, I can cross-refence your picture and my helmet with a VietNam-veteran member of the San Diego club on Tuesday just to make sure of the authenticity. I can also email you some digital pictures of the helmet I've got to you. Just say the word.
    Hang tough. It's looking VERY good! ;) (y)
  14. Anders Heintz Well-Known Member

United-States
    Hey Guys!

Thanks for the comments and feed back!

King Tiger, thanks for the heads up on the flak vest, the colors I painted it matches an 1955 that I've seen pictures of, however it may not have been worn very much, but I'll lighten up the highlights a bit on the bust anyway.

Pete,

I would love to see some more pics, if you see the helmet cover that I posted, that is what I used for reference among three other pictures, all but one shows the stem in the leafs, I just figured they were different models of the same pattern or different makers. I have also seen a couple of different patterns, one where the light green are just blotches and one where they are acctually leafs. I decided to add the stems as it gives a neat effect. If you notice I didnt on all of them as my ref shows that some didnt have them.

As for the graffiti, Im not going to do very much of it, Imma write Wabbit, as the guy looks like a rabbit with his front theeth and all. I have a pic of a neat hat pin that Im going to try to represent. And once all of that is done, I think I am going to dust it with pastels just a tad to make it look a little more worn.

Thanks again guys!
  15. jitch0t Member

Spain
    Hey Anders, that really helps a lot! Thanks!

This whole post helps me a lot, it inspires and motivates me! can't wait to finish the samurai archer to start with The Grunt Verlinden bust
  16. yeo_64 Well-Known Member

Singapore
    Top notch job,Anders ;excellent work on the flesh tones and camo (who says you can't paint camo !).Looking forward to the completion of the bust.Cheers !
    Kenneth