1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Completed Viet Nam RTO Conversion

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Nick Majerus, Aug 11, 2013.

1. Nick Majerus Well-Known Member

United-States
    Viet Nam RTO Conversion.

My friend was in Viet Nam with the 1st Brigade, 327th ABN Regt. 101st ABN DIV. and humped the radio around for some time. So I made this for him.

I believe that I used over six different kits to make the figure. I used 1/16th in. dia. brass rod and soldered it together to make the Rucksack frame. Lead sheet was used on some of the straps.

It was a fun project to do and he is excited to get it.

DSCN6835 (477x640).jpg

DSCN6836 (370x640).jpg

DSCN6837 (482x640).jpg

DSCN6838 (396x640).jpg

DSCN6839 (381x640).jpg

DSCN6840 (471x640).jpg

Jimmy S, sd0324, Stephen Ward and 3 others like this.
  2. Kevindunne Active Member

United-States
    Was there with the 101st myself, great job, especially on the insignia...most make it way to big...
  3. grunt26 Member

Absolutely fantastic, Nick! Any chance of casting some up for sale, I'd love one in my collection!!
    Rod
  4. Nick Majerus Well-Known Member

United-States
    Thanks for the "Likes" and Comments. Kevin, Thank you for your service. I guess you know that the 101st is having their National Convention in Portland, OR next week. I donate a couple figures to the 101st Vets Group out there to raise money for scholarships etc. So it goes to a good cause.

Ron, It has other kits in the figure so can not resale the figure. It is a "one-of-a-kind". All told, it took about a month to make working four hours a day. At 70, I am pretty slow these days! LOL!
  5. Jimmy S Well-Known Member

Australia
  6. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Hi Nick,

Well done on the sculpt and painting. I particularly like the fact that you donate these unique pieces to raise money for veterans and causes associated with the veterans community. Kudos to you and I hope your efforts are rewarded.
  7. Nick Majerus Well-Known Member

United-States
    Jimmy, I have seen these at the Chicago MMSI Show and they are quite large. I have thought of purchasing one and painting it to see how that would look. I am not sure I would want to chop a $150.00 figure verses using parts from other kits to make one figure.

Thanks Tony. I also send a figure to my old outfit the 3rd Inf. Regt. "The Old Guard" for their annual reunion. It is raffled off to help raise money for a new monument for the Regt.
  8. oldtrousers PlanetFigure Supporter

Hi Nick,
    That's a great bust for a great cause. Are you still producing the Regimental S-4 line? I noticed the web page has been down for a while.
  9. Richie A Fixture

United-Kingdom

Hi Nick,
    Great unique piece, what an excellent job all round, I'm sure your friend will be more than thrilled. I would like to be able to knock that standard out now, never mind when I'm 70. Very nice bust and again my congratulations to you.
    cheers
    Richie
  10. Nick Majerus Well-Known Member

United-States
    "Oldtrousers"
    I am still producing the RS4 line of figures. Business the last couple of years was so slow that I let the website go. You can see the figures at the Military Miniature Warehouse as he still carries the line.
    Thanks for asking!
  11. Nick Majerus Well-Known Member

United-States
    Thanks Richie. I keep trying to paint more, but get sidelined with little projects like this one. It goes to a good friend of mine.