1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

"Victory at Sedan!"

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Jason W., Nov 25, 2004.

1. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Jason, Given the small area you have to use, I can see no other way to make the most of that space. At this point I would go ahead and start the fun part of dressing and equiping the figures. Given the amount of gear infantrymen of that period would have carried, do the figures have enough space around them? This is inspiring stuff my friend, keep it up.~Gary
  2. John Long Active Member

United-States
    Jason,

I hesitate to comment because you can monkey these things to death. There comes a point where you just have to go with it. Having said that and looking at your last drawings I would make a couple of minor changes. Angle the figure in the right foreground slightly where he can draw interest to the figure in the left foreground. Angle the horses head where he appears to be looking at the figure in the right foreground. I think this will visually tie all the figures together. Most faces are focussed on the King. The ones that aren't looking at the King should draw the viewer into those are. My two cents. I think it's going to be a terrific diorama at any rate.
  3. Ernest A Fixture

Venezuela
    I like a lot the way it is now, for me is a good and inspirational diorama so far...

Good job

ER
  4. yeo_64 Well-Known Member

Singapore
    AWESOME,Jason,just AWESOME (y) (y) !! All this on a 3"x3" base ? This is going to be REAL interesting.Looking forward to the next step in the saga. Cheers !
    Kenneth :lol:
  5. y_wong New Member

Dear Jason,

I am still with you and enjoying every minute of it. Take your time but just keep us posted every step of the way.

regards :lol:
  6. JCOX Active Member

United-States
    Jason, this is a great piece. I've always enjoyed watching your projects come together and this is certainly no exception. Keep up the good work!

-jim cox
  7. Anders Heintz Well-Known Member

United-States
    Hey Jason!

I see what you are saying, but I still feel that the figure in the front right distracts from the rest, I dont know why, but thats the first figure I look at, but then again, what do I know about composition!

Im looking forward to see this come to life!
  8. thegoodsgt Active Member

United-States
    So for that problematic area in front of the horse....

Is it possible for that soldier to be holding his rifle in his right hand in such a way that the rifle leads the viewer's eye up to the horse (or down to the figure, depending on which way the eye moves)?
  9. D.Lesko Member

Jason, i love the diorama, its fantastic. Very ambitious subject. I do have to agree with the others regarding the figure on the bottom right, its just doesnt fit. It pulls me right out of the scene. Every other figure is interacting with or reacting to the king except for him and its a bit distracting. I cant wait to see your progress.
  10. Jason W. Active Member

United-States
    Great feedback guy's! I have an idea for a figure to replace that one...Possibly an officer w/ raised sword looking toward the King.

Well, on to the fig's.

Just finished this one and will start painting soon.

Thanks for looking and the inspiring feedback.
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
  11. slaj Well-Known Member

Malta
    Jason, great start to a very ambitious project. I always liked and admired your style and will follow this closely. The best of luck

Stephen Mallia
  12. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Jason, Very nice job. I'm looking forward to seeing the rest of this diorama develope as well.~Gary
  13. btavis Active Member

United-States
    Right on, Jason.
  14. yeo_64 Well-Known Member

Singapore
    WOW,Jason,that's real FAST !! A GREAT start to the project (y) (y) !! Keep up the good work ! Cheers.
    Kenneth :lol:
  15. Jason W. Active Member

United-States
    Here's the figure painted (all acrylics) and one in progress. I wasn't sure how to tackle the interaction between the two...I didn't want to sculpt the figures together, because there would be such a weak joint, so I decided that only the hand would be connected to the shoulder. Therefore, I drilled a hole into the shoulder to give the arm some kind of connection. Please note that the wire arm is not glued to the shoulder yet. I will sculpt the arm, save the hand, and paint the figure first then connect the figure and finally sculpt the hand (Gosh, I hope that made sense!). This will most likely be an awkward sculpt, so I hope patience will prevail and turn out to be convincing to the eye.

Thanks for looking!

[IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
  16. Robin Active Member

United-Kingdom
    kewl work Jason

looking forward to seeing this evolve

Robin
  17. Calvin Member

Hi Jason,
    have you subscribed some kind of pact with the Devil to sculpt (and paint...) this way ? Can I sign it too ?

The last figure you show is a cast or is the putty version ?
    Ciao, Luca
  18. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Jason, That is just great. I cannot get over how much your work progresses piece after piece. You are definitely one to watch my friend. Now where did I put my pot holder making supplies.~Gary
  19. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    Beautiful work Jason.......I love watching you bring putty to life
  20. John Long Active Member

United-States
    Beautiful work Jason. (y) (y) (y) I'm jealous.