1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

"Victory at Sedan!"

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Jason W., Nov 25, 2004.

1. Jason W. Active Member

United-States
    Hi All, this is my plan for a diorama inspired by the painting shown (thanks Gary!). I've added two more figures than originally planned to help "round out" the scene. Sorry for those who wanted to see Bismark but my original plan was for the focus to be on the King and his soldier's, but the base is too small for another mounted figure and would "crowd" out alot more than what I wanted.

The biggest challenge will be the connection of shaking hands between the King and the soldier- and making it look natural! I have a few ideas, but for now I plan on starting with the two figures on left rear of the dio and working my way left to right-back to front as the diorama progresses.

Please tell me what you think of the composition. Will appreciate any suggestions and or hints you may have.

Thanks for looking!
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
  2. John Long Active Member

United-States
    Ambitious! I'm looking forward to watching the progress. All the heads you picked seem to be exactly right.
  3. Jason W. Active Member

United-States
    Thanks John! Yeah, after my last dio, I wasn't sure if I wanted to tackle another. But every time I looked at this image, I told myself, it HAS to be done! I'll just take it one figure at a time ;)
  4. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    Really a great idea for a diorama! And I agree everything looks just right from the start. Good luck!! ;)
  5. btavis Active Member

United-States
    Jason, where is the metal head from?
  6. fsdesimone Member

Wow, this is quite a project! I look forward to seeing it shape up. How long do you think it will take you??
  7. yeo_64 Well-Known Member

Singapore
    AWESOME,Jason (y) (y) !! LIke the others,I'll be watching this thread very closely.Good luck,my friend ! Cheers.
    Kenneth :lol:
  8. FoeHammer New Member

Canada
    Looking awesome as usual Jason. I was just wondering what company is the horse if from?

Thanks
    Shawn Luchak
  9. amherbert Member

Wow!

That's quite the setup, and I look forward to following your progress.

Cheers
    Andy
  10. y_wong New Member

Dear Jason,

Superb, I will definitely be following this thread. The composition looks just right.

regards :lol:
  11. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Jason, My friend this is going to be fantastic. It would take me ages to just stage such a project. This will be great to follow. I've got a bunch of Hornet headsets on my Christmas list this, so who knows.

Bob, It's a Hornet head, probably before they went all resin, I have this one in metal myself.~Gary
  12. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Jason, My friend this is going to be fantastic. It would take me ages to just stage such a project. This will be great to follow. I've got a bunch of Hornet headsets on my Christmas list this, so who knows.

Bob, It's a Hornet head, probably before they went all resin, I have this one in metal myself.~Gary
  13. Jason W. Active Member

United-States
    Thanks Dan! Crossing fingers ;)

Bob-It must be from Hornet. I have a resin one thats similar.

Thanks Kenneth!

Shawn-The horse is from Dragon's WW2 German Cavalry. There was some strange "grooves" in the neck of the horse-I'm guessing from the molding process, also the hair looked a little "thick" so I'll sculpt the whole thing myself.

Thanks Andy!

Thanks Wong!

Thanks Gary! I'm looking forward to seeing the projects you come up with using those head sets. Hey, how about some French turco zouaves! ;)
  14. Jason W. Active Member

United-States
    Gosh! Don't know...My last dio took about six months and that was nine figures. I would like to cut that down a bit- but I'm in no hurry. I feel I've become more efficent with my time and I'm confident by spring I should be "wrapping" it up.
  15. johnbrewer New Member

I think that this one will be a real pleasure to see in progress
  16. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Hey Jason,

It is for me the first time that i have the opportunity to follow the building off a great diorama.
    I can't wait for the next pictures.
    One question (maybe i am gonna sculp a figure). You start with copper wire for the legs and arms. I 've read above that you have the metal head from Hornet. Did you make the others in resin by yourself??
    Still a second question: Where come the feet, hands, brest and pelvis from.
    Thats less sculping than making a hole figure.
    What you use for sculping??

so that are a lot off questions.

I hope you can finish it before next summer.

Greetings Marc.
  17. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Jason, I'm still trying to visualize the final composition. The only suggestion I might make is regarding the pose of the figure behind the one that is in front on the left side. Seeing that the King is the center of interest, all of the other figures are focusing their attention towards him. The figure in question has not only his head, but body turned away from the direction/person all the action is centered on. I'm sure this fellow is getting the attention from soldiers assumed to not be part of the scene. Are you going to pose him more in the direction of the king? Here's a suggestion. See sketch.~Gary

If both arms show action directed toward the King (see arrows) this helps to aid in the action going in a left to right fashion. You could also turn the head to face the viewer more (head B), as opposed to the current position (head A). Also note that his rifle is directed at the center of interest.
  18. Jason W. Active Member

United-States
    Marc-I will use Magic Sculp for the most part, with Kneadatite/Magic Sculp mix for belts, slings etc.

This takes some explaining: The torso, pelvis and boots are made of Magic Sculp. I made "masters" a few years and created a rubber mold. Just recently I've run out of resin to make more. Not satisfied with how the resin parts turned out after casting anyway (too many air bubbles), I decided to experiment a little. What I did was take a blob of MS and place it over the part I wanted and pressed the two molds together (I got this idea from a previous thread), and what came out was a surprisingly good cast. It's takes about an hour to set "set up" and much easier to carve to a desired shape than resin.

No, I did not cast the heads. The metal head is one of the older Hornets before they went to resin.
  19. Jason W. Active Member

United-States
    Wow! Thanks for the sketch my friend! This pose has me wondering too. Actually what I planned was for him to have his right arm raised waving his helmet (Bavarian) with the left holding his rifle. I could use a different head and turn it towards the rear of the scene urging his comrades up (I'm staring to like that idea). What do you think?
    [IMG]
  20. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Thanks Jason.

Now i find it much more stunning. It is amazing.

Happy Modelling

Marc