1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Victors and Vanquished

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by jjgurk, Aug 14, 2008.

1. jjgurk Member

United-States
    Been ages since I've posted anything new. These are a few test shots, lousy photog that I am. The inspiration for the train came from an original photo that I have showing the BR 52 in pretty much the same position. Comments always welcome.

John

Attached Files:

2. busso_boy New Member

Australia
    awesome..............
  3. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    WOW.......that is a beautiful scene. I really like what you have done.
  4. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    John,

Nice to see a multiple figure diorama on pF for a change.

This one is a real beauty. Great composition and story. Excellent execution.

Cheers
  5. John Belcher A Fixture

New_Zealand
    Hello John.Fantastic!!!!! work.So much detail.I have looked at your diorama several times and each time see something else.Very inspiring work.

Kind regards John:)
  6. Christos Well-Known Member

Greece
    Beautiful creation,great work!
    christos
  7. Marcel Active Member

Spain
    What a great diorama you have created!
    I love the damaged train in the scene, and the blood in the water is a very nice detail.
  8. Mark S Guest

Brilliant work!!
    Excellent composition,and great detail.
    Well done.
  9. slaj Well-Known Member

Malta
    John great work. It all falls into place very neatly

Stephen Mallia
  10. Bluesking Active Member

United-Kingdom
    What a smasher!!!! Every detail looks just right.
  11. theseeker Member

United-States
    John,

This is top notch, outstanding!! How long did this project take?

Rocky
  12. davidmitchell A Fixture

Scotland
    Fantastic work on all aspects of this scene.

David
  13. jjgurk Member

United-States
    Many many thanks for the kind words and comments everyone. I picked up the locomotive at the AMPS show in Hubbard in 2006 knowing that I had the photograph with which I wanted to base the scene on. It's been an on and off again project since then. Spending wayyyyy too much time on the pc admiring other peoples' work and skills! I added more than a few scratchbuilt pieces to the BR52 so that it would replicate the one in the photo. The TAMIYA Sherman was built pretty much ootb. I added a turned aluminum barrel and the usual stowage items. The figures are a mix of DML, WARRIORS, VERLINDEN, and YOSCHI with either WARRIORS or HORNET heads added. On 2 of the wounded Germans I sculpted in the hair and the bandgages. As with all of my figures all straps and bandages are made from thin strips of Aves Apoxie Sculpt. Initially I wanted the entire scene exclusive of the figures to be done in shades of gray, but once I had everything placed on the base and given the first coat of paint it just didn't look right to me. The figures were undercoated in acrylics then painted with oils. I think I used darn near every medium I have, washes, glazes, artist and MIG pigments, to get everything blended in together. Unfortunately I don't have any in progress shots. All in the mind's eye so to speak. I will take more pictures tho and I'll have the dio at the Chicago Show. Once again many thanks to all and I must say it is all of you who give and gave me the ME inspiration with your fine works on display here to keep plugging along at it. Next up and hopefully not quite as long down the road, my Kharkov dio.
  14. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Excellent work.
    Every detail is very well executed. The blood is not overdone but very realistic.
    The whole scene is dramatic and tells a story.
    That's what it is all about a diorama> telling a story and every figure or other part of the scene have a function or has a relation to another part.
    Great work.

marc
  15. John Bowery A Fixture

United-States
    John,
    All that hard work smashed up:D Great looking scene.
    Cheers
    John
  16. alamac Well-Known Member

Australia
    John.
    All I can say is absolutley stunning, beautifully composed and executed. Congratulations

Alan
  17. Milorg Member

Norway
    WOW!
    Realy impressive scene. Beutiful work on everything, especially on the groundwork.
    Hope to see more pictures.

Thanks for sharing :)

Regards

Per Olav
  18. arthur Member

Canada
    This Rocks

John,
    Your dioramas are getting better and better with every new piece you create!
    This one is awesome!!!
    I had the opportunity to see your Stalingrad dio a couple of weeks ago at HornetHobbies.
    I have to say that one gets to truly appreciate your skills after seeing these dioramas upclose!
    Thank you for sharing the photos with us :)
    Greetings from the EastCoast.
    Arthur
  19. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    Marvelous diorama and very dramatic! Well done!
    All the best,
    Dan
  20. jjgurk Member

United-States
    Many thanks again guys. I really appreciate the comments. Arthur, I'm really glad that you had a chance to see the Stalingrad vignette. Once again, thanks to all. Now it's on to the Kharkov dio.

John