1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Completed Veteran at Victory Day

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Martin Antonenko, Nov 8, 2020.

1. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Martin

Good start with the oils , I am sure he will look so much better as the updates continue

....why haven't you painted the chin ....just wondering

Need to think about the equivalent in acrylics !

Happy benchtime

Nap
  2. Martin Antonenko A Fixture

Germany
    10. Day, November 19, 2020

I go on slowly - and work step by step out of the head the old man's face ...

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

Of course it is far from finished ...

Cheers
    Billy Dickinson and Airkid like this.
  3. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Martin

Now we are getting the age on the face , shows the sculpting well even at this stage

Thanks for sharing

Happy benchtime

Nap
  4. Martin Antonenko A Fixture

Germany
    11. Day, November 21, 2020

I got where I wanted to ...:

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

Then it goes on with mouth and chin ...

Cheers
    Perseas, Airkid and Nap like this.
  5. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Martin

Another good step forward on the face ....I am still intrigued about the mouth/chin ......but sure all will be revealed !!

Thanks for sharing

Happy benchtime

Nap
    Martin Rohmann likes this.
  6. Martin Antonenko A Fixture

Germany
    12. Day, November 23, 2020

There is constructive criticism of some friends and my love that I exaggerated the wrinkle painting - especially on the cheeks - and that the depth of the wrinkles was not adapted to the light and shadow situation.

What can I say?

The criticism is completely justified!

[IMG]

[IMG]

Consequently...:

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

The chin has now also been painted - but the highlights are still missing there.

And our friend got his age spots on the bridge of his nose ...

Cheers
  7. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Martin

I think the resuit now is a lot better , the wrinkles will need working on a bit IMO but not too far !

He has a chin now as well

Good point ref the age spits on bridge

Coming on nicely with you continually improving the piece ...and with such a face ..him not you !....certainly not a easy paint

Happy benchtime

Nap
  8. Airkid A Fixture

England
    That's looking a lot like the photo now Martin. Nice work (y)

Phil
    Martin Rohmann and Nap like this.
  9. Martin Antonenko A Fixture

Germany
    13. Day, November 25, 2020

Last work on the face ...:

[IMG]

Eyebrows: Dark blonde.

Then the visible teeth - not too "white", but not too dark either - herewith ...:

[IMG]

And the lips that hardly stand out from the skin of the face ...:

[IMG]

In order to represent the jagged lips of an old man, they are not painted "in one piece", but consist of dozens of lines of different - but similar - color mixtures.

I think I can be satisfied with the face ...:

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

Cheers
  10. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Martin

Certainly a very challenging face with all the lines and age

Good way to do the lips as well

Be interesting to see if you revisit the face once the helmet is in place

Thanks for sharing

Happy benchtime

Nap
    Airkid and Martin Rohmann like this.
  11. Airkid A Fixture

England
    Yes, Kev has a point. The face will appear a bit lighter I would have thought once the helmet is in place. In my mind's eye I think it will look OK.
    Nice work Martin - you have more patience than me:D

Phil
  12. Martin Antonenko A Fixture

Germany
    15. Day, November 30, 2020

It continues with the helmet strap. It is - because of the undercuts - made separately!

First the sprue has to go ...:

[IMG]

I do that with the Proxxon ...:

[IMG]

After washing, the tiny thing comes on a cork ...

[IMG]

... and is primed black ...:

[IMG]

To choose the colors, let's take a quick look at an original:

The straps were made of relatively coarse fabric, the colors can - as is typical of the Soviet Union - all possible green-beige-brown nuances ...:

[IMG]
    ... and so it is with our friend ...:

[IMG]

I chose these colors ...

[IMG]

... and not painted the belt in one piece, but - painted many thin vertical and horizontal lines with constantly new color mixtures - some of them intentionally with undiluted paint - to work out the texture.

On the inside the strap is a little darker, on the outside significantly lighter - but the lightest are the edges ...:

[IMG]

[IMG]

Cheers
    Perseas, Nap and Airkid like this.
  13. Airkid A Fixture

England
    Nice one Martin. Interesting how the old fella's face has changed shape a bit in the latest pic. Looks like he left his teeth at home:LOL:. Wonder who the old babushka is?

Phil
  14. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Martin

Nice resuit on the strap , I thought you might replace it with one of your own as it looks a little thick ...but obviously not

Reckon Phil might be right about this fellow's teeth ......as for the lady ...obviously a wartime sweetheart !!!

Thanks for sharing

Happy benchtime

Nap
  15. Martin Antonenko A Fixture

Germany
  16. Martin Antonenko A Fixture

Germany
    16. Day, Dezember 2, 2020

Detail work!

First thing today I painted the buckles of the strap.The wonderful "Steel" that I got in Eindhoven on the recommendation of a friend served as Ferben. The edges are carefully dry-painted with silver ...:

[IMG]

Jo - one can accept that!

[IMG]

The second thing I've done is the lettering on the helmet again.

Even if it still annoys me that I couldn't do it with a brush - it just looks better printed ...:

[IMG]

So much for today!

Cheers
    Perseas, Nap and Airkid like this.
  17. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Martin

Nice use on the metallics

What made you replace the lettering , Inthought it looked good ...but it's done now ......think I had best find Russian lettering

Thanks for updates

Happy benchtime

Nap,
  18. Martin Antonenko A Fixture

Germany
    18. Day November 4, 2020

Actually, I planned to wash and prime our friend's torso today and start painting the "gymnastiorka", the field blouse.

But I got a very annoying careless mistake!

[IMG]

Let's take another closer look:

Our friend wears a black and orange ribbon on his chest ...:

[IMG]

This so-called "Georgs Ribbon" (black and orange are the colors of Saint George, the patron saint of Russia) have been colors from ancient times that stand for special devotion and bravery in the military sector.

The George Cross, the traditional award for bravery of the Tsarist army, wore this George ribbon ...

[IMG]

... just like the Soviet equivalent, the so-called "Order of Glory" ...:

[IMG]

The George ribbon represents one of the many steps taken by the Russian leadership to bring together the traditions of the old Russian and Soviet armies!

Today the George ribbon is shown on large military equipment as a parade outfit ...

[IMG]

[IMG]

... and is worn as a lapel strap on special occasions!

And May 9, the "Victory Day" over Nazi Germany, is by far the "most special" day in Russia and the other successor states of the collapsed Soviet Union!

Let's take another good look at our friend's torso!

We see, the George ribbon is where it should be ...:

[IMG]

But - something is missing!

This ribbon is neither magnetic nor self-adhesive, it does not adhere to clothing by itself!

One have to attach it with something, like this aviator veteran in the rank of colonel who, as a practical Russian woman, uses a pin for it ...:

[IMG]

Or you can attach the ribbon to your clothes with something else, like the example from my collection, which has a miniature version of the "Order of the Great Patriotic War"for that ...:

[IMG]

And what do we see here?

[IMG]

Correct! Nothing!

For a detail fanatic like me, absolutely unbearable! Rivet counter as his best!
    Our friend needs a pin - ideally a miniature copy of the original!

Here we see what our friend used to attach the ribbon to his Gymnastiorka ...:

[IMG]

The forgotten thing almost drove me crazy while researching, as it has absolutely nothing to do with the occasion "Victory Day".

We only see what can be seen there when we zoom in to an extreme extent:

[IMG]

A Russian tricolor, underneath a polar bear - and underneath a lettering, of which only the word "Rossija" can be read for me in the blurring.

So what is it

A party badge!

And that of the Kremlin party "United Russia", whose de facto party leader is the good and wise Tsar Wassja Putin in person ...:

[IMG]

So after that question was resolved, the easy part came. Well, it wasn't that easy!

Unpack the modeling compound ("Milliput") and shape something tiny that at least suggests the flag, bear and lettering. More is not possible, the thing is significantly smaller than the globe on the 1 cent coin ...:

[IMG]

So far so good...

(Nap, my friend: I'm VERY curious for your solution concerning the missing pin ...:D )

Cheers
    Perseas, Nap, Airkid and 1 other person like this.
  19. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Martin

That is one great piece of thinking and research

Looked at my resin ......possibly add a miniature order but I do like the version you've chosen especially as we have a picture of the subject wearing the polar bear party badge

Painting will bring the badge out even more in this scale

Look forward to seeing what else you revisit

Happy benchtime

Nap

PS Just a curious question ref the colonels ribbons.......are they printed and sealed in a plastic covering
  20. Martin Antonenko A Fixture

Germany
    Not printed, but plastic covered.

Cheers
    Nap likes this.