1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Verlinden catalog samples...

Discussion in 'Figure News' started by lock-n-load, Nov 29, 2018.

1. lock-n-load Active Member

United-States
    So, recently on E-Bay, a company called Lots of Models has begun selling a quantity of kits that were built by Verlinden, for use in their catalogs. Verlinden kits fueled my interest in figure kits, probably like a lot of others here.
    https://www.ebay.com/sch/m.html?_od...ksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=verlinden built&_sacat=0

Does anyone now how many artists Verlinden employed? A couple or many? The work seems so consistent among the items. Anyone know any of the names of the artists, or who may have painted a particular kit.

I know this is an odd request, but I was curious.

Thanks.
    Mike
  2. Kimmo A Fixture

I believe Letterman and Stock were the other principles, can't remember their first names offhand. They later formed VLS which produced collaboratively and then I believe became Warrior(?) after Verlinden left. The google-fus will probably shed more information.

Kimmo
  3. John Bowery A Fixture

United-States
    It was originally Verlinden, Letterman and Stock. The company was started by Bob Letterman out of his garage and moved to Cross keys Shopping mall and consisted of several sub companies at that time.
    Then became V.L.S. with all the companies under that banner. After Verlinden left Bob Letterman replaced the line by buying Warriors and adding it to V.L.S. A lot of box art was also painted by Bob himself and those are in the miniature museum that is now located at his home. They had quite a crew including Joe Porter and Lois Pruneau, Louis was responsible for starting me in oils on 1/35 figures.
    Bob is still building super diorama's and is finishing up another large diorama called "Logistics" He also started a contest called "Mastercon" where everybody that entered a model were the judges of the contest and voted for their favorite models which were tallied up and Numerous Gold Silver and Bronze medals were awarded similar to the Chicago show. The contest is now run by the mail order co "Squadron" and is still going under the name "Eaglequest" which is their logo of an eagle. http://www.squadroneaglequest.com/ Next year will be the 27th year for the contest. So far I have only missed one contest when I moved to Texas and plan on going again next year. His website is below for those who are interested.
    http://www.bobletterman.com/

Cheers
    John
  4. 1969 A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Interesting insight John.

I recall Gordy, the previous owner of Planetfigure mentioned he had sculpted for Verlinden in previous thread some time back, I am sure he mentioned that there were numerous sculptors working at the time.

Steve
    John Bowery likes this.
  5. Merryweather A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    I did this one for Verlinden ,back in the day....
    Verlinden Door Gunner  92-10.jpg
    I was very pleased to get the gig , hoping it would lead to more,but sadly it was not to be.
    Personally ,I think the pose is weird,but I just did what was asked of me. It was THE Francoios Verlinden, right? So I assumed he knew
    what he wanted.
    Maybe it didn't sell, I don't know.
    I have since seen an image where the guy's left hand is much higher and braced against the roof of the chopper,which makes complete sense to me
    now; but I was just sent a picture to copy.
    Anyway, it's a name to drop, eh?
  6. Mirofsoft A Fixture

Belgium
    Tim Richard from Phoenix sculpted a nice lady in dungeon for him, I painted one

WR-DSCN0015.jpg
  7. Blind Pew A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    I recall that Julian Hullis, of Poste Millitaire fame did a couple, and I think so did Moz.
  8. yellowcat A Fixture

Canada
    Sid Horton of Chota Sahib sculpted the No. 1315 Prussian Leibhusaren Officer.

VPB1315-1.jpg
    Blind Pew likes this.
  9. cinimod Active Member

United-Kingdom
    I think Derek Holmes did some of the busts aswell. I still have a few in my collection but think the best sculpt is of Tareleton which I've still got. Did find my old marshal Lannes and Devout busts whilst looking for images on the internet though. Most of the busts are good but you do get some exceptional ones as well as some real dodgy ones...........Dom

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg