1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Verlinden 120mm US Navy Pilot (Pacific WWII) - Questions

Discussion in 'Painting Techniques' started by Dolf, Jul 29, 2018.

1. Dolf Well-Known Member

Portugal
    Hi!

I'm assembling and will soon start painting the figure mentioned on the title.

I've seen a couple of other finished figures of this particular model.
    And I have a couple of questions, hoping the experts here can help.

I've always used Enamel Humbrol paints (that's basically what we had available, with some other manufacturers as well, but if memory is right, all the paints then were enamel, no acrylics, etc, back in the old days when I was active in the hobby), and I guess that I'll stick to those as I'm more comfortable and familiar with this kind of paints.
    I remember that later, at some point I used a couple of Tamiya acrylic paints, but it was only for one or two models of a motorcycle and a metal car, I believe.
    Back then I must admit I didn't become a fan, they had a funny weird smell, among other things, if I remember it right.

Anyway, back to my current project, this Verlinden 120mm US Navy Pilot.
    On the pic on the original box, the pilot has a kind of greenish uniform. But from the pics of models from other modellers that I recently saw, the uniform looks much more yellowish. I guess a Tan (Humbrol Gloss #9), or perhaps a US Tan (Humbrol Matt 118) ... or maybe something else!

Researching real time period pics and info, it looks like that US Navy pilots on the Pacific theatre wore Khaki flight suits!
    On Humbrol their Khaki (#26) is a Matt color! Not sure it will suit this resine made model.

Any tips or advice on which color should I use for this uniform?

Many thanks in advance!

Cheers!

Dolf
  2. khollar A Fixture

United-States
    Dolf,
    I think that you’re right on track with your thinking about using a matt khaki for the flight suit. I think that also gives you some latitude in regards to the exact shade of khaki to use as well. Khaki fades when washed, and different production batches would provide a range of “correct” shades.

In regards to Humbrol paints, they make a fine product and you can achieve fine results using them. Bill Horan certainly has done magnificent work using Humbrols! The real key here is finding a medium that you’re comfortable with and that you’re happy with the results - whether that is with enamels, acrylics or oils. The product that you use is secondary to the techniques and skills that you develop.

Good luck with your pilot!
    Cheers, Kurt
    Dolf and Nap like this.
  3. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Dolf

This is the figure I think and here's a painted version that might helP

image.jpeg image.jpeg

These are good references for you image.jpeg image.jpeg

Reenactor in original uniform

image.jpeg image.png image.png

Couple of other pics

image.jpeg image.jpeg

Nap
    KenBoyle and Dolf like this.
  4. Mookie Well-Known Member

I remember the Verlinden.120mm Superscales when they first came out.They got me into painting figures and i was buying them as fast as they were released back in the day.They had huge hands if i remember but i loved painting them up as best as i could.
    Real trip down memory lane.
    Mr.Mookie
    Dolf and Nap like this.
  5. Dolf Well-Known Member

Portugal
    Khollar,

Thanks a lot for the reply and tips.

"I think that you’re right on track with your thinking about using a matt khaki for the flight suit. I think that also gives you some latitude in regards to the exact shade of khaki to use as well. Khaki fades when washed, and different production batches would provide a range of “correct” shades."

Yes, I guess you're right. I think I'll go for the khaki and see how it works. And then there's always some techniques for finishing, weathering, etc, that may help correct any mistakes and/or highlight some other areas.

"The real key here is finding a medium that you’re comfortable with and that you’re happy with the results - whether that is with enamels, acrylics or oils. The product that you use is secondary to the techniques and skills that you develop."

I couldn't agree more ;)

And I also used some oil paints for the other two pilots I did before.

Cheers!

Dolf
  6. Dolf Well-Known Member

Portugal
    Nap,

Wow! Thank you very much for the excellent material you post! It's greatly appreciated!

Yes, that is the figure I'm starting now (y)

Based on the pics of real US pilots in uniform that you post, I think Khollar is right, and indeed I should use Khaki for the uniform. Of course not all the uniforms on the pics look the exact same color, but I suppose that probably has to do with a few factors: the cameras used, for one, but also the fact that the uniforms would loose some of their original color after washing them again and again.

I still have to find a US flag for his right arm (I do have some sheets of Verlinden decals, but not for this scale, I'll have to look for something) .

Another question if you don't mind, what kind of yellow would you advise for the Mae West? If on the Humbrol chart the better :happy:

Again many thanks!

Cheers!

Dolf
  7. Dolf Well-Known Member

Portugal
    Mookie,

Yes, I did buy a few back then too :)

Apart from the 4 I did before, and this one I'm starting now, I still have 4 more on the original boxes, for sometime in the future: WWII Luftwaffe Fighter Pilot, ref: 436, WWII German General / Wehrmacht, ref: 437, German Dispatcher WWII, ref: 453, and US Airborne GI / Vietnam, ref: 466.

Btw, Verlinden Productions doesn't exist anymore, right? If not mistaken the only way to still find some of these figures (both the 120mm as well as the 200mm) is either on eBay, or from some store that may still have a few in stock, right?

Thanks.

Cheers!

Dolf
  8. khollar A Fixture

United-States
    Dolf,
    Verlinden is gone, but you can still find quite a few of their 120mm figures available on eBay. It will pay you to shop around and and screen for lowest cost, as prices vary significantly for the same figure there.

Kurt
  9. Dolf Well-Known Member

Portugal
    Thanks Kurt. I've seen a few for sale already (and indeed asking prices may vary significantly from one eBay seller to another!), but for the moment I guess I have enough of them for some time (y)

Cheers!

Dolf
  10. Dolf Well-Known Member

Portugal
    Hi!

Would anyone here know where I'd be able to find the American flag that this figure wears on his right arm?

It's a 120mm figure, not sure which scale that would be :confused:

Thanks!

Cheers!

Dolf
  11. oldtrousers PlanetFigure Supporter

Hi Dolf, I *THINK* that Verlinden had a set of 120mm U.S. Uniform dry transfers that included American flags along with patches and other items.
    You may also want to consider either trying to hand paint the flag, or make your own using decal paper.

Scott
  12. Dolf Well-Known Member

Portugal
    Hi Scott,

Thank you.

I think I may have found a Verlinden decal set where there's an American flag included. I'm just not 100% sure if it's this 120mm, or 1/16 scale, I'll have to check with the seller.

Yes, the other possibilities are indeed as you say, hand painting one myself, or make it using decal paper (I do have one of these, but never used it, yet...) .

Cheers!

Dolf