1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

"Veni Vidi Vici" Box Diorama

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by schley, Aug 30, 2007.

1. schley Active Member

Ireland
    Hi all

Just thought I would share one of my box dioramas with you.

I hope you enjoy

John Schley

Attached Files:

2. EasyOff Member

Very impressive! Very very impressive! I love it! Share with us some of the details for example, how did you do the marble, how did you do the scrolls, how did you do the walls and the chair... C'mon brotha, share! :)

John
  3. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    Fantastic work John.
  4. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Excellent work.
    We don't see much boxed diorama's on the planet. The only i saw (and i speak for myself) is at Euromilitaire. I must admit that i really enjoy looking at it.
    So, if it is not much trouble, will you please share some off your technic's.

Marc
  5. Roc Active Member

United-States
    Well done, I really like it.

Cheers
    Roc
  6. David Hernanz Active Member

Spain
    john, i love it very much. !!!!
    Fantastic work.
  7. theseeker Member

United-States
    Simply utstanding, I love it! Please give us some details.
  8. blaster A Fixture

United-States
    Terrific diorama

John,

Really impressive work.

Rgds Victor
  9. btavis Active Member

United-States
  10. vergilius New Member

Belgium
  11. schley Active Member

Ireland
    veni vidi vici

Hi Guys

thanks for your comments,

I have been building Box Dios for a few years now and along the way I have developed some techniques of my own ! My inspiration however and most of my knowledge has come from a Master Himself namely Shep Paine! I first saw a box dio in Mr Paines book how to build dioramas and thanks to him the bug well and truly bit me!

I will try and share some of my techniques with you!

On the Marble I used contact paper from various scources Verlinden , Wallmart ,etc! I have also painted some of the sections with marble effect! sometimes I use coloured papers which I stain!

The stonework comes from local DIY Stores where I utilise preformed Moulding and cut it in different shapes using a mitre box!

Dolls House Stores also provide some excellent papers and plinths and its amazing what you can adapt from this particular scource!

The scrolls are simply milliput rolled and using brass door handles as the end pieces!

The fruit is all scratchbuilt as are the plinths knives and other accessories.

The furniture I think it was from Phoenix Models but I cannot remember as I have these pieces a long time!

The walls are masked and spray painted with hand painting for some details!

All lighting is done using super bright white LEDs!

Finally and most importantly from a time perspective! You only paint what can be seen!!! Thank you again Mr Paine

I hope this is of help and if I can offer any other help just ask!

John
  12. EasyOff Member

Wow John, thanks much! Those are some great tips, they really are. Heh, if my wife saw me making tiny bananas and such with mili-put she'd think I was really over the edge... LOL. She's about as supportive as fork lift with only one fork, if you know what I mean :) .

You know, we've had a doll house store in our area for years, the only thing that's kept me out of there was the pricing, INSAINE! But your right, I never thought about obtaining molding and such there, I'm going to have to drop in someday, prolly when I have someone elses car, its in a kinda bad section of town. I bet I can sucker Aj Lafleche to take me with his car LOL!!!!! That is, if I can fit in his car.

Thanks again, I've learned a lot!
    Cheers!

John
  13. schley Active Member

Ireland
    veni vidi vici

John

your welcome glad to be of some help!
  14. theseeker Member

United-States
    John,

I failed to ask what scale this is?
  15. schley Active Member

Ireland
    veni vidi vici

Rocky

the scale is 54mm
  16. John Bowery A Fixture

United-States
    John,
    Just beautiful.
    Cheers
    John
  17. Bluesking Active Member

United-Kingdom
    Another best of show kiddo !
  18. schley Active Member

Ireland
    veni vidi vici

Hi Stephen many thanks this was Best of Show in Dublin last year! I will be bringing it to WE 2008 and St Vincent and I will have it on display at the Dublin show next May.

Have you any new projects to share ?

John
  19. schley Active Member

Ireland
    veni vidi vici

John Many thanks! Glad you like it.

John
  20. schley Active Member

Ireland
    Veni Vidi Vici

Hi guys

Roc has sorted out my v bench blogs so I will post some more photos of box dioramas into the v bench blogs!

John