Varangian guard

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by gforceman, Apr 28, 2005.

1. gforceman Well-Known Member

Belgium
    Hi,

As most of you probably know, I completely s*ck when it come to paint large (90mm or bigger) scale figurs. So I decide to practise a bit. Among my "started but never finnished" projects I found this 90mm figure in white metal by emi/Tercio. It was still painted in oils, over which I painted with acryllics. The face and helmet are supposed to be ready. The helmet had it's metal polished. Over this I put 3 coats of dilluted Tamiya smoke. Highlighting was then done using silver acrylics, shading using black. At first I was going to do the head only. Although the result is far from what I one day hope to achieve, it turned out better then I feared. So I might end up doing the complete figure.

All hints, tips, critisms, etc... are more then welcome.

Greetz,

Gino

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]
  2. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Hello Gino,

90 mm He. Well, what i can see in the picture's is that you have done again a beuatifull job.
    I suppose you bring it with you next thuesday to the club.

Marc
  3. KeithP Active Member

United-States
    Looks pretty darn good. Excellent job on the eyes.

Keith
  4. slaj Well-Known Member

Malta
    Gino , even though the eyes aren't very well sculpted you have done an excellent job on them.

Stephen Mallia
  5. Brad S Member

Gino,

I think this looks pretty good. I thought the eyes could use a little more detail and the skin area by the chin under the lip could have a little more shadow/highlight. But hey, who am I to say, I could not do as good a job as you have done. Keep up the good work and thanks for sharing.

Brad Spelts
  6. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    Excellent work Gino. You do well with 90's.
  7. Cicero New Member

Albania
    Hello Gino,

Great job so far. I like the weary look of the helmet.
    According to the red tip of the nose and his droopy, blood stained eyes, I reckon your guy has a little drinking problem! Very nice touch.

See you next tuesday!

Johan

(PS: don't forget my things!!!)
  8. gforceman Well-Known Member

Belgium
    Hi guys,

Thanks for taking the time to respond.

Hi Brad,

I will pay some more attention to these areas as soon as I have some time to continue working on this chap.

Thanks again,

Gino
  9. Brad S Member

Gino

You bet. But I do consider myself an amateur compared to you. Thanks for sharing all your work.

Brad Spelts
  10. Kisifer Well-Known Member

Greece
    Very nicely done gino. I really like the way you painted the face. The helmet is also a charm. Keep up the good work my friend.
  11. jknaus Active Member

Canada
    Hi gforceman, I just found this and it is a figure I have just started. I was wondering if there was any more to this thread or if you might have some more pictures of him. Thanks in advance.
    James