1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Vallejo Airbrush Colors

Discussion in 'Painting Techniques' started by btavis, Nov 10, 2005.

1. btavis Active Member

United-States
    Has anyone tried the Vallejo airbrush colors? I picked up a set and have been using them for regular brushing and they are very nice. The consistency is obviously thinner than the regular colors but they have great tinting power and for painting in thin washes they are excellent.
  2. Figure Mad Well-Known Member

United-Kingdom
    Hi Bob

I have too used these airbrush colours, yes they are very good for all the methods that you mentioned, I have found slight problems with the yellows as they don’t hold their colour to well, just need to be a little more opaque, also a slight sheen when dry, nothing a bit of testors dull coat won’t fix, though.

All in all, very good colours...
  3. btavis Active Member

United-States
    I think for opacity or chroma with the yellows you could probably mix with the regular Vallejo colors. Yes, there is a slight sheen with some of the colors and for rendering leather that works out pretty well actually. I bought the basic set and have been very pleased with the palette. The black is fantistic out of the bottle for rendering thin lines or doing washes.

Also, since I am currently painting exclusively with acrylics I have to say that I followed Mario Fuentes' suggestion about using distilled water. Folks, this makes a big difference for washes as there is virtually no residue water marks as with tap water. I would say that using distilled water is absolutely essential for me and I was suprised that it did make such a difference.
  4. Figure Mad Well-Known Member

United-Kingdom
    Hi Bob

I totally agree with you on the distilled water, I too paint with acrylics and found the same result with distilled water, I also use Andrea acrylics and many artist top quality acrylics including interference colours, all of these I use through my airbrush...

Dont you just love the flatness of the colours, and speed at which you can get through painting a figure...

Dave
  5. btavis Active Member

United-States
    Dave, I doubt I will go back to oils unless there is some special reason for doing so. I think the speed of drying, the flatness of acylics are very positive. However, to create seemless blending through many layers it is more time consuming than oils. Just goes to show that there are trade-offs on everything I suppose.
  6. Calvin Member

If not tried yet, you might want to check the metallic set (gold, silver, bronce, etc.). The only flaw about them (the metallics), is the tendency to lose a tiny amount of pigments when washed (no matter how many time you will wait, even when it seems absolutely dry).
  7. mertenspeter Member

Belgium
    I am using the Vallejo Air collors for some time now and i am verry pleased with them, i specialy use them for my groundworks.

(y) Peter