1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Vallejo acrylics-where to start

Discussion in 'Painting Techniques' started by stev1eran, Dec 3, 2005.

1. stev1eran Member

Hi all,

I am looking to give acrylics a try and I want to buy a number of vallejo paints as a start to see if I can get to grips with this medium.
    I would be grateful if fellow pf members can sugest the paints to buy as a basic pallette.
    I have seen a number of sets aimed at different periods/forces etc but I tend to paint figures from different periods from ancients to modern day.
    Any help is appreciated.

Steve
  2. Bluesking Active Member

United-Kingdom
    Vallejo do some basic sets which is probably a good starting point unless you have a particular figure/period in mind.
  3. mvonb Member

This seller on ebay does some great deals on Vallejo paint, and his service is very fast.

Panther Models

Good luck

Martin
  4. Einion Well-Known Member

Hi Steve, if you were asking about oils (or artists' acrylics) I would suggest a good basic palette that you could mix from that deliberately didn't contain too many paints, here are equivalents:
    925 Blue (I think this is French Ultramarine)
    899 Dark Prussian Blue (Phthalo Blue)
    909 Vermilion (Cad Red Light)
    945 Magenta
    952 Lemon Yellow
    915 Deep Yellow

Obviously you'll also want white and black, as well as a number of earth colours to save you having to mix all your ochres and browns. I like to have as a minimum an ochre, a red earth and a dark umber so maybe:
    913 Yellow Ochre
    946 Mahogany Brown
    941 Burnt Umber

Most miniaturists like to have a fleshtone or two and there are many colours different people pick for them, there are some colour combos on the Colorado Miniatures site here and in case you haven't seen it there's a SBS on the site from Jaume Ortiz, here, that's well worth having a copy of.

If you don't have a local supplier you'd prefer to use consider Models For Sale, the paints are £1.40 each and there's free delivery in the UK for orders over £50 :)

Einion
  5. stev1eran Member

Thanks Guys,

I've taken that on board so I will see how I get on and post my next figure which I will try with acrylics so that I can get some constructive criticsm.

Steve