1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

V.I.P. Quiz

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Martin Antonenko, Nov 27, 2021.

1. Martin Antonenko A Fixture

Germany
    We see four very young men during the First World War who were lucky enough to survive the Oorlog!

[IMG]

The four men met 30 years later and in completely different circumstances in a foreign country - there are a number of photos in which they put all four of them next to each other - and in exactly the order I show them above.

We are looking for one of these photos.

Upload a photo (no matter if color or black and white) on which the four men can be seen side by side in the same order!

Cheers
  2. akaryu Moderator

Belgium
    There you are!
    GHDI - Image.jpeg

Too well known to mention their names except perhaps on the right Jean de Lattre de Tassigny.

cheers,

Pierre
    DaddyO, Martin64, Nap and 2 others like this.
  3. Nap Moderator

England
    Pierre

You are a man of much talent .....I got the first 2 !

definitely no talent ..lol

Cheers Martin

Nap
    akaryu likes this.
  4. Martin Antonenko A Fixture

Germany
    [IMG]
  5. Larsen E. Whipsnade Moderator

United-States
    Here ya go, Martin!
    Screen Shot 2021-11-28 at 9.15.06 AM.png
    akaryu likes this.
  6. akaryu Moderator

Belgium
    Nice to see how they aged, with Eisenhower having kept his shape well, comrade Zhukov having a slight tendency to overweight and de Lattre still very French and sloppy nonchalant.

I'll keep any comments on the guy with his double-badged beret to myself, lest I loose the few British friends I might have!:D:D

Pierre
    Nap likes this.
  7. Airkid A Fixture

England
    My father (a Normandy veteran) hadn't got much time for him either:cautious:

Phil
    akaryu likes this.
  8. akaryu Moderator

Belgium
    Never judge a man by his clothes, but when looking at the picture you can see whose countries became superpowers and who were going to play second fiddle! Or in the case of the French, no fiddle at all:D:D:D!

cheers,

Pierre

PS In 1970 we had to iron neat parallel folds in the sleeves of our battle dress jacket or see our leave cancelled. Does apply to generals apparently!
    Nap and Airkid like this.
  9. Airkid A Fixture

England
    The 37-pattern Battledress could be made to look pretty smart. The 1940 (economy) pattern was less well cut. BLM's battledress was undoubtedly made by his tailor and he still managed to look scruffy in it. French BD was a copy of the British original in finer fabric. I have a Belgian version somewhere in the loft.
    To my mind, the US Class A tunic and "pinks" is the epitome of military chic - you can't fail to look smart in it. Only "Ike's" skewed belt buckle lets him down.

Phil
    akaryu likes this.
  10. Chrisr PlanetFigure Supporter

Australia
    I may be wrong, but I don't think the first young officer in the initial post is Bernard Montgomery. The collar badge are not of his regiment (Royal Warwickshire - see second photo below) and the photos of him during the Great War, IMO, show a different person.

Monty-1.jpeg Monty.jpeg
  11. arj A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    I think you're right.
    Here's a picture of him without the upper lip fuzz.
    Lt-Bernard-Law-Montgomery-World-War-I.jpg

You can find it and a write up on him here"-
    https://www.historynet.com/montgomery-meteren-1914.htm

Cheers,
    Andrew
    DaddyO likes this.
  12. akaryu Moderator

Belgium
    Thanks Chris eagle-eye for pointing this out.

The young man on the left is Noel Chavasse, nephew of Noel Chavasse VC and Bar, and an ADC to BLM.

Pierre
    Nap likes this.
  13. Chrisr PlanetFigure Supporter

Australia

Thank you for that Pierre. I was wondering who he was when I first saw the photo. His collar badges appear to be The Leicestershire Yeomanry, and Montgomery didn't serve in that unit.

Cheers
    Chris
    akaryu likes this.
  14. akaryu Moderator

Belgium
    Chavasse , Noel Willinc
    Date of birth:
    April 11th, 1920
    Date of death:
    Service number:
    Nationality:

Biography

Major Noel Willinc Chavasse MBE MC was commissioned into the Middlesex Regiment in 1939 and later served with the 8th Army. His father (OBE, MC, TD) was the Bishop of Rochester and a great friend of Field Marshal Montgomery, who’s Staff Chavasse joined as Monty's personal ADC Staff Officer and would serve on during the Normandy campaign and the early post war years. His uncle N.G. Chavasse won the Victoria Cross and Bar with the RAMC during WW1.
    Nap likes this.
  15. Mirofsoft A Fixture

Belgium